U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,579,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
That brings up a good point. Why is it that men can commit adultery, incest and rape and not dishonor their family? Why is it overlooked by the Muslim community?
I don't know. There would be a lot of dead men.

Adultery, for one, it seems is viewed as a man being a man. Something that you expect that some will do, some won't. It's not viewed favorably, but a man wouldn't be killed for it most likely, the way a woman might be.

Incest and rape, however, if the community knew about it would bring dishonor to the family. But I don't think rape and incest are widely reported or talked about. So other people don't know about it. It doesn't happen when the man is walking down the street, where everyone can see him. It happens in private, and it stays there. Incest more than rape, probably, as with rape there may be a sentiment that the girl did something to "provoke" it. Unfair? Yes, of course.

Just my best guess, btw.

Maybe elwill can answer this one for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,040,379 times
males can commit adultery everyday and his family know nothing about it , and if his family knew it so they can keep the secret from the society , and when he intend to marry no one can accuse him with such behaviour

it differes with women
when women commited it they became pregnant , they bear children , how can they keep this secret from society !!!!!!!!
when girls commit adultery and didn't happened that they became pregnant , so her secret will be known for her husband in the first day of thier marriage
so that culturely this behaviour is very sensetive with women
but religiously adultery is a big sin for the male and female , they are equal

Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,258,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I wouldn't admit that if I were you.

First you say it was an article about Honor killings in the US.

Then you say it's about moderate muslims becoming increasingly violent.

Then you say you read three or four versions of the same article.

If there are three or four versions, it's NOT the same article.

And you still did not get what it's about.
I think you are just nitpicking. The article is about an honor killing by a moderate muslim indicating that a trend is beginning to occur amongst moderates that was once limited to radical muslims.

The three or four versions of the same article had different perspectives.....and yet all of the information in each article was true and forthright. So now can we carry on an intelligent conversation without tearing apart each and every word. You are wasting time.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,049,386 times
Quote:
I think you are just nitpicking. The article is about an honor killing by a moderate muslim indicating that a trend is beginning to occur amongst moderates that was once limited to radical muslims.
A single occurence is a "trend"? Someone failed Statistics class.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
A single occurence is a "trend"? Someone failed Statistics class.
Actually I made a B in statistics

I assure you, there has been more than one occurrence. It's just under reported. Honor killings have occurred in New York, NJ and other places with large muslim communities but the media hasn't really jumped on the bandwagon until now. This moderate muslim took everyone by surprise because he was on a mission to portray Muslims in a more positive light. He did exactly what he has preached against for years. He didn't just kill his wife but did it Islamic style. That sends a strong message to the Western world and those who are wondering what the average muslim is all about. It's like these stupid televangelists that preach fire and brimstone while they are banging their secretaries behind the cameras.

They should all be exposed for what they are....frauds.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

They should all be exposed for what they are....frauds.
Okay, we get it. You seem to have a personal vendetta against anyone who is Muslim. Just be aware, bigotry ain't gonna fly too well here, and it's getting less and less accepted across the USA. Racists and bigots are being ostracized more and more, as well they should.

If you're willing to make yourself a pariah by painting an entire group with a very small brush, go for it. Just don't whine when the consequences of your actions come back to bite you in the arse.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Okay, we get it. You seem to have a personal vendetta against anyone who is Muslim. Just be aware, bigotry ain't gonna fly too well here, and it's getting less and less accepted across the USA. Racists and bigots are being ostracized more and more, as well they should.

If you're willing to make yourself a pariah by painting an entire group with a very small brush, go for it. Just don't whine when the consequences of your actions come back to bite you in the arse.
You should talk. As an atheist.....I think you paint all religious groups with a small brush. Talk about being a bigot.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You should talk. As an atheist.....I think you paint all religious groups with a small brush. Talk about being a bigot.
As an atheist, I believe in equal rights for every person on the planet, no matter which god or multiple gods they believe in, no matter if they disbelieve in deities, or if they're gay or lesbian or black or Asian or female or male, or even you...get the picture? Why the heck do you think I'm defending muslims in this thread? I think their beliefs are just as unbelievable as yours, but you're slamming them simply BECAUSE they're muslims. This is why I step up to the plate and defend them. If the situation was reversed and it was a muslim bagging on you for being a Christian, same deal, I'd be standing up for you instead. Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

I've got nothing against anyone who is religious -- as long as you don't try to "share" it with me, and as long as you keep your beliefs out of the government and out of public schools. So far, ya ain't done that yet, so I'll keep speaking up about it until it happens. When it does, that's when you won't hear me bitching about religion anymore.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
As an atheist, I believe in equal rights for every person on the planet, no matter which god or multiple gods they believe in, no matter if they disbelieve in deities, or if they're gay or lesbian or black or Asian or female or male, or even you...get the picture? Why the heck do you think I'm defending muslims in this thread? I think their beliefs are just as unbelievable as yours, but you're slamming them simply BECAUSE they're muslims. This is why I step up to the plate and defend them. If the situation was reversed and it was a muslim bagging on you for being a Christian, same deal, I'd be standing up for you instead. Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

I've got nothing against anyone who is religious -- as long as you don't try to "share" it with me, and as long as you keep your beliefs out of the government and out of public schools. So far, ya ain't done that yet, so I'll keep speaking up about it until it happens. When it does, that's when you won't hear me bitching about religion anymore.
Some how I just don't believe all that baloney. Your posts say otherwise.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Some how I just don't believe all that baloney. Your posts say otherwise.
Believe what you like (quote any post where I say that Christians or any other religious group are second-class citizens and shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else).

As long as you're a bigot, you're always going to have people opposing you. Get used to it, we're not going away and we won't shut up about unfair treatment. We demand equal rights for everyone, and that includes no special treatment in government for any one religion and nobody being discriminated against for believing OR disbelieving. Too bad that chaps your hide, but that's not my problem. Your kind will die out soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or