U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,102,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Well could be the national media's thinking was 'Heck its just a dead muslim..who cares...let's look for more interesting news '....

or possibly scared to report on it, not knowing what kind of rioting might happen as a result?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM

995 posts, read 1,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
or possibly scared to report on it, not knowing what kind of rioting might happen as a result?
Awww....c'mon.....its in the US right? I'm sure there won't be any lyncings cause the guy ain't dark-skinned enough

Old 02-23-2009, 12:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,935,742 times
Quote:
Not at all. I just find it interesting that really...I haven't seen this story on the national news channels. This is a pretty big thing. People obsessed for months about a girl missing in Aruba...but this is just not getting any coverage.
I saw this story days ago on Yahoo News and on Reuters, as well as the AP and Bill Maher. It's not being ignored, but it's not being overplayed because nobody in America cares about a Muslim woman being murdered...only pretty white girls.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I saw this story days ago on Yahoo News and on Reuters, as well as the AP and Bill Maher. It's not being ignored, but it's not being overplayed because nobody in America cares about a Muslim woman being murdered...only pretty white girls.

The woman murdered was not some burka-wearing oppressed muslim woman. I've heard she was actually a fairly Americanized woman.

You may be right though--she was't a cute bleached blonde bimbo.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,876,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Ahh..ok..that has cleared up somethings for me...thank you
Sarcasm noted, but you're still welcome.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,935,742 times
Quote:
The woman murdered was not some burka-wearing oppressed muslim woman. I've heard she was actually a fairly Americanized woman.

Regardless of who they were, the image people in America will see when they hear this story is Osama Bin Laden and a woman in a burka. They won't picture a Muslim doctor and his classy wife...they'll be blinded by the prejudice and bigotry that is so common with the image of Muslim people in America.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,876,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
You know nothing about what I'd do if that happened. As it stands, I'd feel the very same way if it were a Christian and some bigot came in here spouting that it made ALL Christians that way. That's plainly ignorant.

If you have any doubt that this is exactly what I mean, go look at my first post in this thread -- post #2. Of course, you apparently didn't read it or you'd know that I wasn't hating on Christians.

I don't care what religion someone follows, if you're inclined to be a killer it won't matter. My whole point in the matter is that the OP was being egregiously bigoted by painting all Muslims in the same light because this man -- who just happens to be a Muslim -- murdered his wife.

I have nothing against anyone who believes in any specific religion, whether it's Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Satanism, Voodoo, Rastafarianism, FSMism, whatever.

What I DO object to is when one person does something bad, and all the members of whatever group they belong to is held up as being exactly the same way, and accused of doing bad things just because they happen to belong to the same religious group as the bad person.

There are good people and bad people in every religion.
I think I confused you with another who comes onto the Christian side, and finds every reason to berate us. I sincerely apologize.

I totally agree with you on what you just said.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Why must a woman be literally half-naked before she can be considered to be 'free' whereas if she is covered in say a headscarf, she is considered 'oppressed'?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Sarcasm noted, but you're still welcome.
No sarcasm intended believe me...Its sincere..Your comment on that did help to clear up for me..

Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Regardless of who they were, the image people in America will see when they hear this story is Osama Bin Laden and a woman in a burka. They won't picture a Muslim doctor and his classy wife...they'll be blinded by the prejudice and bigotry that is so common with the image of Muslim people in America.

And the fact that this professional man killed his "classy" wife doesn't do much to change the opinion the stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or