Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times

Advertisements

Or maybe they're just scared of the muslims.

No Burquini, No Bathing: British Pools Impose Muslim Dress Codes on All Swimmers - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

I'm guessing this would never fly in the US.

British swimming pools have begun hosting special Muslim swim sessions during which swimmers — including non-Muslims — are banned from entering the pool if their swimming attire doesn't comply with dress code required by Islamic custom.
Under the rules, men must be covered from the naval to the knees, while women, who swim separately, must be covered from the neck to the ankles, according to the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph newspaper.
The special sessions in Britain have elicited anger from critics who say they are divisive and put a strain on relations between Muslims and non-Muslims, the Telegraph reported.
The trend counters developments in France, where a woman has threatened to sue after being told she could not wear her "burquini" — a headscarf, tunic and trouser swimsuit worn by Muslim women – on hygiene grounds, the paper reported.
One British lawmaker defended the Muslim swim sessions, telling the Telegraph that they show an appreciation for certain religious groups, like Muslims, who have strict rules on segregation for activities including sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Dumb. Slipping backward to the dark ages they are.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Or maybe they're just scared of the muslims.

No Burquini, No Bathing: British Pools Impose Muslim Dress Codes on All Swimmers - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

I'm guessing this would never fly in the US.

British swimming pools have begun hosting special Muslim swim sessions during which swimmers — including non-Muslims — are banned from entering the pool if their swimming attire doesn't comply with dress code required by Islamic custom.
Under the rules, men must be covered from the naval to the knees, while women, who swim separately, must be covered from the neck to the ankles, according to the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph newspaper.
The special sessions in Britain have elicited anger from critics who say they are divisive and put a strain on relations between Muslims and non-Muslims, the Telegraph reported.
The trend counters developments in France, where a woman has threatened to sue after being told she could not wear her "burquini" — a headscarf, tunic and trouser swimsuit worn by Muslim women – on hygiene grounds, the paper reported.
One British lawmaker defended the Muslim swim sessions, telling the Telegraph that they show an appreciation for certain religious groups, like Muslims, who have strict rules on segregation for activities including sports.
I don't get it, isn't this the decision of the owner? It's not about fear, it's about the fact that there are more muslims in Britain than in America

Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I don't get it, isn't this the decision of the owner? It's not about fear, it's about the fact that there are more muslims in Britain than in America
You're exactly right. It's no different than catering to a church group or a youth group or anything else.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
If she's a Muslim I'll eat my shirt*.
She's Iranian. Whether she actually practices Islam I do not know, but she's from an area of the world, and of the racial descent that AC was disparaging as having hairy, unattractive women. The point is that he made an ugly, vicious, sweeping generalization that can easily be proven wrong. Just image-Google "beautiful Muslim women" and see what you come up with. They certainly have their fair share of lovely women.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
She's Iranian. Whether she actually practices Islam I do not know, but she's from an area of the world, and of the racial descent that AC was disparaging as having hairy, unattractive women. The point is that he made an ugly, vicious, sweeping generalization that can easily be proven wrong. Just image-Google "beautiful Muslim women" and see what you come up with. They certainly have their fair share of lovely women.

I completely agree. Me and the Mrs went to a local Iranian restaurant/club because she wanted to watch the belly dancing.

She won't let me go back there because people were walking on my tongue.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You know, belonging to a minority doesn't give you a free pass to make sweeping ignorant generalizations and racially stereotype other people. Here's one of all those ugly Muslim women with moustache and beard, and there are millions more like her.
Mercury Cougar, do women lose ability to read well as they age? How is this a generalization? Please read this again and tell me. And for the record, 1/3rd of the people in the world look like I do, so much for minorities. I can walk into Islamic Europe right now and pass for a sunni. Can you?

My statement stands, "some" of these women don't shave their mous and beards, like you do or wax or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I used to know some Islamic women, a close look at them and one can notice the moustache, beard elements and the like.............
Some is not all. She may be old but she reads fast.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post

This issue that I have with it is the government requiring a dress code. If the muslims have the majority and can create the law, fine. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Mercury Cougar, do women lose ability to read well as they age? How is this a generalization? Please read this again and tell me. And for the record, 1/3rd of the people in the world look like I do, so much for minorities. I can walk into Islamic Europe right now and pass for a sunni. Can you?

My statement stands, "some" of these women don't shave their mous and beards, like you do or wax or whatever.

Some is not all. She may be old but she reads slow.
Newsflash, you're not in Europe. You claim to be in Colorado, where you would be considered a minority. So now that I've called you out on your ugly sweeping generalization, of course you want to backpedal and suddenly claim that you meant something different than what you said. Too bad for you that women frighten you so much.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
This issue that I have with it is the government requiring a dress code. If the muslims have the majority and can create the law, fine. But that doesn't appear to be the case.
In that case you have no issue. The government has nothing to do with it, and it is not a law. All pools have dress codes. Those particular dress code rules are set up by some local pools for Muslim swim sessions only...You don't like it, then don't go to the Muslim swim sessions.

I know you don't like Muslims, but you are trying to make something out of nothing here kdbrich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam