U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,538,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
This issue that I have with it is the government requiring a dress code. If the muslims have the majority and can create the law, fine. But that doesn't appear to be the case.
Wtf are you talking about? The government isn't involved with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,051,430 times
I don't understand what the problem is. These sessions are for Muslims , set especially so that Muslim women in particular can have a chance of swimming in an environment which is comfortable to them.
If you are going to join something set up for Muslims then you should abide by the rules. I have no problem whatsoever with that.

Most swimming sessions are non Muslim so non Muslim people have plenty of time to swim,. We also have children only sessions ( discriminating to adults ? ) and larger size people sessions ( discriminating to skinny people) and older people's sessions ( discriminatory towards the young) as well as special youth age and sex specific sessions as well....

My local cinema has film sessions only for people with kids. Should I be offended that I am not allowed there ?

It sounds to me as if some people will find any excuses to point the finger at a particular group of people.

How long would I last in a Church on a Sunday if I went in there topless or with satanic logos on my clothes ? Is that not discrimination considering that churches don't pay taxes and as such are subsidised by me the Atheist tax-payer ?

When will people start to accept that Muslims are people too and as tax payers have rights too in our society. Does it harm anyone to have Muslim swimming sessions ? Is it really that offensive that normal decent law abiding citizens have the right to swim in accordance with their religious principles ?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,105,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Wtf are you talking about? The government isn't involved with this.

Ohhhhhhhh....you are correct. Thank you for correcting me on this.

Maybe it was because it was late when I posted it last night that I misunderstood.........the pools are requiring it, but it does not appear to be a legal requirement.

Honestly...if it's a private pool they have every right to do what they want.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,822,461 times
If you look at this from the other extreme there are rules and regulations in America that actually are established by the government, probably by local authorities, that will not allow nudity at a beach or even topless for the women. I think some places even restrict thong bikinis which is a damn shame. Cultures vary alot around the world. I agree that there's nothing wrong in this particular situation because they are just trying to establish an appropriate dress code for Muslims who want to swim. No big deal.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,921,708 times
I wonder if gyms in the middle east have advertisements in the early spring with the tag-line "are you ready for burquini season?"

Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 PM

30,924 posts, read 31,837,353 times
How about the Sports Illustrated burquini edition....That would be a eye popper

Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 AM

1,808 posts, read 1,593,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If you look at this from the other extreme there are rules and regulations in America that actually are established by the government, probably by local authorities, that will not allow nudity at a beach or even topless for the women. I think some places even restrict thong bikinis which is a damn shame. Cultures vary alot around the world. I agree that there's nothing wrong in this particular situation because they are just trying to establish an appropriate dress code for Muslims who want to swim. No big deal.
There are even bylaws here in Canada (in fact, I think they're in Vancouver, but don't quote me) that permit women to go topfree in any place that men can do the same.

What I take exception to is the 'no-burqini' issue that's drawn attention to this whole matter. She is required, by her religion, to dress in a certain manner. It's just ridiculous that she's *required* to violate her religious beliefs to enjoy a public pool that everyone else uses freely.

Besides, a whole-body swimsuit was perfectly acceptable (and quite fashionable, in fact) for quite some time in the early parts of last century, so why has it suddenly become a 'sanitary' matter?

Gah....

Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,629,029 times
Is this our opening to be less than political correct? If so here I go. There are a lot of non Muslims who could benefit from a swim suit dress code, or at least some common sense. I sometimes shudder at what people are wearing on the beach, or I might better say not wearing. It make me wonder if a person actually looks in the mirror and thinks this swim suit, that is lost between layers of the body, is actually so attractive on me. Worst yet are the skin tight leotards you see in malls, and restaurants, which match the skin tones so well as to make the person appear nude from the waste down. I saw one last week which first stopped my dining, and than made me fight not to laugh.
I think we have to at some point recognize clothes are better than exposed too much.
If not, there are plenty of nude beaches where being nude is much more attractive than having bits of fabric finding it way to the surface and highlighting the parts most of donít want to think about much less see winking back at us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or