U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 AM

100 posts, read 139,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's pretty clear that English is not your first language and I have to say well done for being able to speak it better than I can speak Urdu or Arabic or whatever your first language is, but it really is hard to penetrate what you are trying to tell us.

- my language is
-1Language ofQur'an.
2-Language of the Prophet.
3-Language of Paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:00 AM

995 posts, read 1,202,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can only speak from personal experience. I have known a few Muslim girls. who were fine until the great Hijab thing started. They never showed the slightest inclination to wear the thing until pressure was put on them to do so.

I can't speak for all of them, of course, but that there is pressure to dress up like they were something to be ashamed of is fact.
Here's a nice little story a Muslim religious teacher had regarding the above amongst others. I'll try & keep it short but entertaining hopefully. Let me translate in his words :

"Do you believe in wearing scarf for Muslim girl? I don’t believe in wearing scarf. If God doesn’t want us to show our hair, then He will create us bald. I don’t want to wear scarf.

The questioner was a muslim girl staying at a Boarding school in England since 10 yrs old & now she's 20. She also asked the need to pray, why its not encouraged to keep dogs as pets and a few other questions that normally I would not encounter. I knew that if I were to answer her questions as I normally would with quotes from the Quran & Hadiths regarding the necessity of wearing hijab, I would in the end just be challenging myself in my knowledge of how many quotes I can remember and she might just yawn & close her ears & just hoped for my early exit.

I have practically no experience in dealing with such situations. So I paused and focused on the root of the questions. So I told her 'Before we get to your questions it's better if we get to the root of the issues here'. She agreed and asked 'Ok. What is your question?'

"What is your purpose in life? What do you want to achieve in this life? I asked.

"Is it that important to know what one's purpose in life is?" she rebutted.

"Imagine you're in a football game but on the field there isn't any goalposts or you're playing golf but don't know where the hole is. How do you feel if you're involved in such a game? " I probed.

"Silly game...ridiculous.." she smiled.

"Well..we might laugh at those who play football or golf in that manner but in truth we're laughing at a great number of people whose lives have no goalposts or golf holes. Is that not true?" I asked.

She nodded.

"If we don't know our true purpose in this life, how are we going to focus and make priorities? I'm sure you'll agree that a failure to focus and make priorities are easy easy ways to fail in life. You agree?" I continued.

"Yes. I can agree with that" She replied.

"So.What is your purpose in life?" I asked.

"I want to be successful in my career. Have my own firm and make millions of pounds annually." she answered with conviction.

"You haven't made millions of pounds annually. There are people who make milions of pounds daily yet they are not happy. I don't think making millions of pounds is your or other peoples' purpose in life." I purposely provoked.

"Hmm....then what is the purpose in life?" she asked.

"Hmm...Do you think I have the answer? Do you have the answer? I think we both do not have the answer because the PURPOSE in LIFE is already there before we were even born. If we were to ask that lamp there why it was created - & if it could answer, it too might not know why it was here in the first place. The logical thing would be to ask the factory that made the lamp. And if we were to ask the factory, they would give a collection of questions & answers in the form of a BOOK called an Instruction Manual. Same thing then for us humans. If we want answers, have to ask the Creator who created us, namely Allah s.w.t. And Allah s.w.t has already given us a collection of questions & answers in His Instruction Manual which is called...." I was cut short

"Al-Quran! What does the Quran say about our PURPOSE OF LIFE?" the girl interjected..

"I have created jinn and human beings only that they might worship Me. Surah al-Dzariyat ayat 56″ I answered

I then undertook to explain in a general way the concept of worship in Islam. That besides prayers and fasting for example of direct concepts of worship; any type of work that we do or actions that we performed if it fulfils the Islamic criteria; that too is deemed as worship."

I closed my discussion with this :

"If you young lady, can accept that we need God in our lives, only then can I answer the question as to why we need to pray. We need to pray because we need God in our lives.
If you can agree that prayer is compulsory and the need for prayers, only then can I explain to you why the wearing of hijab is compulsory. The analogy is If we have to face the Queen of England; there are certain dress codes & protocols that we have to adhere to and that is her right since she's the head of state.
If that is just for a head of state what more so than when we have to face Allah during our prayers & outside our prayers; surely we must wear Hijab for that is His decree to His servants.
And if you agree with what I have to say up to this point; then I can clarify why Islam doesn't encourage us to rear dogs. Islam teaches the hygienes regarding dogs. Islam never taught that dogs should be hated or beaten. Never confuse religion with culture. Don't blame the religion for what some of its minority adherents does."

My dear Arequipa. Unfortunately those few that you know do not really understand or maybe have not had the opportunity to really learn or understand their religion and the religious obligations in depth. May Allah swt grant them hidayat... Regarding women covering their hair...The Blessed Prophet during his Isra' (journey from Makkah to Jerusalem) was given a few insights of what will transpire in the realms of Heaven & Hell. In one scene, he saw visions of women being punsihed for exposing their hair and bodies to men other than their husbands...a very horrific scene... Nauzibillah...May Allah protect us all from His Wrath with His Mercy

Credit for the Story goes to : SaifulIslam.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or