U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,368,316 times
Reputation: 3735

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Do I understand correctly that you do not want anyone to feel God's Holy Spirit so you can be more comfortable with your own beliefs or lack thereof?

The witness of the Holy Ghost is perhaps the most real experience a person can ever have in their lifetime. God does live, and Jesus is the Christ, regardless of how loudly some people try to deny their existence.

But you'll find out for yourself some day, I can assure you of that...
Frankly, even though you don't want to see it, this is an insult. You're assumptive and patronizing conclusion about our destiny if we don't tag along with your particular brand of mythology is tiresome and insulting to our well-thought-out and defensible lack of belief.

I converted from Christianity precisely because of a real but non-theistic set of unique experiences where I saw the world for what it was, absent the pestering of an arrogant Christian teacher.
_________________________________________________

"...you'll find out for yourself some day,
I can assure you of that."

Well, frankly, the atheists here can assure you that it'll be "The Big Empty" when you die. Unfortunately for your arrogant perspective, none of us will be able to shake anyone's hands. Our remains will either be moldering in the ground or in superheated vapors out of crematorium chimneys.

And our vaporous and etherial "spirits", comprised entirely of complex biochemical and electrical interactions and organic logic circuits trapped in our bodies, will vanish. Sorta like what's left of a TV's ability to receive and sort complex signals if you put your foot through it.

I know; it's a frightening concept. The sensible alternative? Live for the day, because...

"What if you're wrong!"

(I've wanted to say that back to a Christian for about 14 months...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 3,018,189 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I know; it's a frightening concept. The sensible alternative? Live for the day, because...

"What if you're wrong!"

(I've wanted to say that back to a Christian for about 14 months...)


Glad I was able to be of service to you rifle. Enjoy the evening, and thanks for acknowledging that Mormons are Christians. There are a few on this board who can't seem to grasp the concept.

Last edited by justamere10; 10-29-2009 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,368,316 times
Reputation: 3735
Default Mormons: yah gotta love 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
[/b][/i][/color]

Glad I was able to be of service to you rifle. Enjoy the evening, and thanks for acknowledging that Mormons are Christians. There are a few on this board who can't seem to grasp the concept.
AS I mentioned on some long-ago previous post, I've always enjoyed the company and good manners of Mormons. Now don't go spoiling that perception!

BTW, I also commend you guys on storing food and supplies in the basement against whatever you think is coming. I'm pretty sure it will come, not as some Godly intervention, but rather as a chance astronomical occurrence, (just look at the surface of the moon!) or disease plague encouraged by our vast overpopulation and ease of international transportation, or of some nasty bit of fundamentalist Islamic revenge for having introduced civility and modern medicine to the Middle East, or the North Koreans in a fit of uncontrollable jealousy, or whatever.

Of course, something's bound to happen, given simple statistics. The Mormons may just be the logical inheritors of the Earth simply because they have systems to re-populate (polygamy), and good bomb shelter designs.

Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 3,018,189 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
AS I mentioned on some long-ago previous post, I've always enjoyed the company and good manners of Mormons. Now don't go spoiling that perception!

....Of course, something's bound to happen, given simple statistics. The Mormons may just be the logical inheritors of the Earth simply because they have systems to re-populate (polygamy), and good bomb shelter designs. Go for it!
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you yourself were excluding Mormons from Christianity, that was intended to be a general observation regarding the writings of a few others on this board.

The memo about ending polygamy was issued in 1890, but I didn't get the one about bomb shelters, maybe you have an extra one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:25 PM
 
17,497 posts, read 10,651,701 times
Reputation: 6746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
What's so bad about going to hell? Apparently people who don't believe in the Christian faith are Satanists. If you can't beat 'em, throw a party in their face We'll join Satan and turn Hell into an eternal night club. Their god is so afraid of losing his army that he lies to them so they become afraid and take his side. Personally, I don't want a creepy white-bearded guy to peer at me all the time, while hiding in the clouds. There's a reason why Heaven is depicted as white and why God is dressed in white. More easier to hide to peep. What a voyeur

I'll bring the skewers. Someone bring the marshmallows
Umm, white-bearded guy hiding in a cloud!! Little do you know about God now do you!! Can you tell me were it describes heaven as WHITE!!! Is this from all your reading??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top