Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,367,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I can see where some Native Americans see the similarities in their belief and that of Christianity. Although different nations may believe a little differently than others, the basics are the same, we have a belief in a Creator, we may call him by many different names, in Christianity you call him God and just like Christians we believe that he is the Creator of everything but here's where we differ and I cannot speak for all, however I will speak for myself, where I differ from Christianity, I believe that every living thing has a spirit, not just man but every living thing, animal and plant, I believe that the Earth is our mother and that we come from that, just like your sacred book says, I also believe that we should respect all living things, whatever they may be, I also believe that no one's belief is any better than anyone else's and that we are all entitled to believe as we may with respect to all others. You see this is where Christianity is different, because of the writings in its sacred book, it feels that it's belief is better than anybody else's, in my belief we don't feel that way, I feel we are all equal and that none is any better than the other and that all should be treated with respect, that's my belief.
I, like probably many other Christians regardless of race also believe that every living thing has a spirit, including animals and plants.

Scriptures in the Mormon canon contain a passage where the prophet Enoch heard planet earth herself speak and mourn the wickedness of man:

"And it came to pass that Enoch looked upon the earth; and he heard a voice from the bowels thereof, saying: Wo, wo is me, the mother of men; I am pained, I am weary, because of the wickedness of my children. When shall I rest, and be cleansed from the filthiness which is gone forth out of me? When will my Creator sanctify me, that I may rest, and righteousness for a season abide upon my face? And when Enoch heard the earth mourn, he wept, and cried unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, wilt thou not have compassion upon the earth? Wilt thou not bless the children of Noah?" Moses 7: 48-49

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/moses/7/48-49#48

I too believe that we should respect all living things, we are stewards over our environment.

God tells us that He is no respecter of persons, He loves each of His children equally and expects us to do the same. But there are many differing religious beliefs, all worthy of respect, there is truth to be found in many places. The one consistent belief among Christians, and that which makes them so, is their belief in Jesus Christ and his atonement for all mankind.

That belief in Jesus Christ and his mission may be the biggest difference between yourself and Christians. But my guess is that you acknowledge that you do not represent all Native Americans. There are thousands, possibly tens of thousands of Native Americans who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints alone, and probably many more who are members of other Christian denominations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,327,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insan777 View Post
Hi
I am Muslim ...and i am always chat with christains in religion
I had asked them many questions ...but they always deny to anwser
this is my questions
1- why God did not helped Jesus when the jews and the romans tried to killed him , As He (God) helped Mose against pharaoh and helped Noah and all the other Prophets , ( and God also helped my Prophet Muhammed) ?
what is the most important for GOD his son Jesus , or his Prophets ?
2- if God present him self in Jesus ...why he used intermedaire ( Marry) to present him self ?
Christ had to suffer death to overcome evil. On the third day He arose from death and by doing so conquer evil. So he lives forever. Through His death God glorified Christ and Christ glorified God.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insan777 View Post
Hi
I am Muslim ...and i am always chat with christains in religion
I had asked them many questions ...but they always deny to anwser
this is my questions
1- why God did not helped Jesus when the jews and the romans tried to killed him , As He (God) helped Mose against pharaoh and helped Noah and all the other Prophets , ( and God also helped my Prophet Muhammed) ?
what is the most important for GOD his son Jesus , or his Prophets ?
2- if God present him self in Jesus ...why he used intermedaire ( Marry) to present him self ?
As you are probably well aware, there are thousands of different Christian denominations. It is probable that most of them have some different religious beliefs/understandings based on culture and/or differences in the interpretion of various bible verses, or an emphasis on certain ones, or possibly on other factors.

It is my belief that Jesus Christ was not just another prophet. He was the one chosen from the beginning to be the Savior and Redeemer of all mankind. His mission was unique, to make it possible for God's children to eventually return to Him even though He knew that they would sin when they came to this earth for their mortal experience. There would have to be an atoning sacrifice made for those sins to make it possible for mercy to be extended to balance the scales of justice.

That sacrifice could only be made by someone who was sinless, who had power over his own life, and who would of his own accord willingly sacrifice that life on behalf of all of God's children.

To make that possible, God the Father Himself impregnated Mary and the child born of that event was thus half man, half God.

Yes, God the Father abandoned Jesus Christ at the most critical moment of his atoning sacrifice when on the cross Jesus cried out "My God my God why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matthew 27: 46) That abandonment was necessary to make it a perfect and a perfectly willing sacrifice. Jesus was not killed, he willingly gave up his own life while nailed to the Roman cross.

That is my belief about those matters.

A prophet living in the Americas about 74 BC gave a good explanation of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and why it was necessary:

Alma 34

Last edited by justamere10; 09-11-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,301,440 times
Quote:
Do you own the air? Do you own the waters that falls from the sky? Do you own the light and heat that comes from the Sun?

And when you die,what do you own?
I don't own any of that, but according to God and the bible, all humans do own those things. We were given dominion over the Earth, to do with it as we will. Like some cheap hooker on a Saturday night.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,625,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't own any of that, but according to God and the bible, all humans do own those things. We were given dominion over the Earth, to do with it as we will. Like some cheap hooker on a Saturday night.

Perfect analogy for Christianity.....and you said it not me...

Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,937,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Europeans, fully indoctrinated into the pseudo-Christian faith, felt it was "God's will" that the NA's be contained in reserves, that the buffalo be eradicated to make room for cattle.........reminds me of the quote from Michner "If there were two dinosaurs left in the world, some sob from Texas would insist on his right to shoot the male."
What you said is true Goodpasture, but it's actually a little more insidious than that. The eradication of the buffalo was actually a US government sponsored program! The Army was having a really tough time defeating the Plains nations militarily. Because this was the case, the government thought, "What is the best way to decimate an enemy....take away his food supply." The destruction of the buffalo herds was a calculated move and the government paid the buffalo hunters well to destroy the herds. Unfortunately for the Plains tribes and the buffalo, it worked.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,877,833 times
Quote:
3~Shepherds, I can see where some Native Americans see the similarities in their belief and that of Christianity. Although different nations may believe a little differently than others, the basics are the same, we have a belief in a Creator, we may call him by many different names, in Christianity you call him God and just like Christians we believe that he is the Creator of everything but here's where we differ and I cannot speak for all, however I will speak for myself, where I differ from Christianity, I believe that every living thing has a spirit, not just man but every living thing, animal and plant, I believe that the Earth is our mother and that we come from that, just like your sacred book says, I also believe that we should respect all living things, whatever they may be, I also believe that no one's belief is any better than anyone else's and that we are all entitled to believe as we may with respect to all others. You see this is where Christianity is different, because of the writings in its sacred book, it feels that it's belief is better than anybody else's, in my belief we don't feel that way, I feel we are all equal and that none is any better than the other and that all should be treated with respect, that's my belief.
I can tell you from my own Christian walk, that it can be very confusing. I have found there are so many Christian beliefs and I have fallen into some extreme thinking. Each time the Lord leads me back to the Bible and I see my mistake. I can't even recall how many times I have felt like Paul, on the road to Damascus!!

I don't think we as Christians, should believe we are better, but the Bible does tell us that Jesus is and that's who we follow it's very hard to change that. As far as respect I believe that is the individual, I meet just as many non-believers who are disrespectful.

Matter of fact, I see people go out of their way to say some of the most disrespectful things about Jesus, it's just uncalled for.

I believe as Christians they are really trying to have you and others saved, as the Bible instructs us to, but we tend to go about it our way instead of God's way. I'm learning it is not my job to save a person, it is my job to lead them to the Bible and allow God and the Holy Spirit to lead.

Christan's are mis understanding God, by not reading the Bible and applying it to life. You can't just read it once or twice and except to get it.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,877,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
There is a great deal of other evidence and tradition of a "white god" being prominent in the Americas.
Do you really believe Jesus is white, with blond hair and blue eyes??

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you really believe Jesus is white, with blond hair and blue eyes??
I suppose he could appear in whatever form and color he chooses. When he appeared to Joseph Smith, God's chosen prophet of the restoration, and other witnesses who reported their experience, he had white hair and a white beard, looking identical to Heavenly Father. There is no mention of the color of his eyes or skin that I am aware of.

Jesus of course was a Jew, so during his earth life he would most likely have the coloring and physical characteristics of Jews of that time and location.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 PM

50,081 posts, read 20,502,115 times
Interesting Idea. I suppose when he appeared as Krishna He was Blue? And any idea how he looked when He appeared as Woden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam