Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
God used Mary, because the Old Testament prophecy tells us He would enter the world through a woman.
perfectly utilitarian. boahhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
this is probably one of the strangest myths in all of religion. The miracle is, they actually get people to believe it.
It's just God's plan of happiness unfolding as His spirit children get to have an earthly experience and learn about opposites. Because Heavenly Father knew that we'd all sin (be disobedient to our Parent) and not be able to redeem ourselves from the stern demands of justice, an infinite atonement would be required.

Jesus Christ, God's only begotten in the flesh, took upon himself in Gethsemane and on the cross the sins of all mankind. Because of that he can balance the scales of justice by extending to us the mercy he has earned.

To qualify as Redeemer Savior, the father of the physical body of Jesus had to be God the Father so Jesus could willingly give his life for us.

Nobody "gets" me to believe that, it's perfectly understandable once you understand that we lived for a very long time prior to having our turn on earth.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Considering the OP's original question, the posting immediately above must be causing a lot of adherents of Islam--should any of them be logged on--to scratch their heads.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Considering the OP's original question, the posting immediately above must be causing a lot of adherents of Islam--should any of them be logged on--to scratch their heads.
It is my hope that they will also scratch their fingers on a keyboard and make a comment or ask a question if they do not understand common Christian beliefs and want to.

But I was responding to a comment that the Christian belief that the father of the physical body of Jesus is God the Father (or to some the Holy Spirit, God nonetheless) is just a myth. It's not!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I don't think the color of his skin is mentioned in the bible, we can assume that he would have been similar in skin color to other Jews living there at the time.

Once when I visited Jerusalem my guide said that Jesus was taller than the Roman soldiers who had to be taller than the average Jew to qualify to serve there. In the Garden Tomb the ledge where the body was laid was carved out at one end to allow the body of someone 6 feet 2 inches tall to be laid there without bending.
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I do believe he was tall and strong. Something just seems to lean more that way, then the slender Jesus we are use to seeing.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Once when I visited Jerusalem my guide said that Jesus was taller than the Roman soldiers who had to be taller than the average Jew to qualify to serve there. In the Garden Tomb the ledge where the body was laid was carved out at one end to allow the body of someone 6 feet 2 inches tall to be laid there without bending.
Oh, come on, don't you people even know your own myths?? That tomb wasn't his, it was Joseph of Aramathea's tomb. If a tomb was made to fit the person intended to be buried there, all that means is that Joseph of Aramathea was a tall man for his time, not Jesus.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I do believe he was tall and strong. Something just seems to lean more that way, then the slender Jesus we are use to seeing.
Today you do not need to stoop to enter the Garden Tomb. But it's plain to see that at one time you would need to stoop as I think is mentioned in the scriptures somewhere. The height of the door was increased much more recently than originally, you can see that.

Also, there's a groove plainly visible where the stone would have been placed that is mentioned in the scriptures. Nearby the Garden Tomb is such a stone, though I understand that that one was taken from a different tomb and just put there for tourist effect.

Another interesting thing is Golgotha (Calvary?) just a few yards from the tomb across a parking lot where most of what looks like a skull (holes in the side of the rock) is still plainly visible in the side of the hill today. But Romans always crucified along a road where passersby would have to look the victim in the eye (dead or alive I suppose) see their intense suffering, and decide I suppose was the intention that they would not commit a crime that could merit such a fate.

So, contrary to hymns and popular belief, it's almost certain that Jesus was not crucified at the top of the hill, but at the bottom where today there is a parking lot.

Just a few interesting tidbits. If you get to Jerusalem again or first time, be sure to go to the "Garden Tomb" and not to just the usual places where they take tourists. (Same for Gethsemane, the real one is almost certainly up the hill from where they take the tourists and collect money from them.)

Old 10-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, come on, don't you people even know your own myths?? That tomb wasn't his, it was Joseph of Aramathea's tomb. If a tomb was made to fit the person intended to be buried there, all that means is that Joseph of Aramathea was a tall man for his time, not Jesus.
Is it possible do you think that the ledge was enlarged after it was decided that the body of Jesus would be placed there? As I recall, it's evident that just enough space for two feet to fit into it was gouged out to lengthen the original ledge.

In those days and place, tombs were used over and over. After a suitable amount of time bones were placed into a "bone box" and the 'ledge' could be used again. There are three separate but adjoining rooms in that tomb, as there quite possibly are in other tombs of the time. One for the mourners (except closed on Sabaath), one for the ledge where the body was laid, and one for the bone box/es. All rooms are adjoining without walls between but still clearly defined as a separate 'room'.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Notch where the place where the body was laid was enlarged for a taller than usual body. There's a stone 'pillow' at the other end.
Attached Thumbnails
Muslim ask You 1-gardentomb6.jpg  

Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Another view of where the body was laid in the Garden Tomb at Jerusalem.
Attached Thumbnails
Muslim ask You 1-gardentomb3.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam