U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:02 AM

124 posts, read 282,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
here are the major islamic countries and there are many moslem women do not wear hijab

Indonesia
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Nigeria
Egypt
Turkey
Iran
Sudan
Algeria
Afghanistan
Morocco
Iraq
Malaysia
Saudi Arabia
Uzbekistan
Yemen
Syria
Kazakhstan
Niger
Burkina Faso
Mali
Senegal
Tunisia
Guinea
Somalia
Azerbaijan
Tajikistan
Sierra Leone
Libya
Jordan
United Arab Emirates
Kyrgyzstan
Turkmenistan
Chad
Eritrea
Lebanon
Palestine
Kuwait
Mauritania
Oman
Kosovo
The Gambia
Bahrain
Comoros
Qatar
Djibouti
Brunei
Maldives

Are they allowed to wear whatever they want? Tight blue jeans and a tank top? Would that be acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,728,605 times
Notice he didn't say women didn't wear hijabs in those countries, because they obviously do in some of them. He just gave a list of countries, and then said not all wear the Hijab.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 AM

39,050 posts, read 10,837,135 times
It's interesting to read this

Women's Muslim Dress - Women Traveler's Dress in Islamic Countries

Now I know how much it is appreciated in SEA Asia to dress the way the locals are used to. They appreciate the effort. But the question isn't really that.

It's more the question of how people are treated in their own community and what sort of freedoms they have. I can quite see that there's a limit to the sort of dress - freedom that can be permitted. If a woman in the US or Europe decided that clothes are too restricting and she wanted to go nude, the reaction she'd get would be akin to a woman in a Muslim country going around in clobber that wouldn't seem strange to us, but to which the locals would react rather like tourists visiting a Balinese bathing - place.

At the same time, a girl in a tank -iop and shorts has to understand that she is going to get some prurient interest. Hellfire, I'm probably going to take an interest and I'm not a muslim.

So perhaps it comes down to what's a choice and what's a forced choice. Rather like Arranged marriages, there's a lot of misunderstanding. There's a lot to be said for arranged marriage but where the subject, not to say Victim, is not in favour of it, I have some objections.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-15-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 AM

100 posts, read 139,119 times
By Sultana Yusufali. Published in Toronto Star Young People's Press
I probably do not fit into the preconceived notion of a "rebel". I have no visible tattoos and minimal piercings. I do not possess a leather jacket.
In fact, when most people look at me, their first thought usually is something along the lines of "oppressed female."
The brave individuals who have mustered the courage to ask me about the way I dress usually have questions like: "Do your parents make you wear that?" or "Don't you find that really unfair?"
A while back, a couple of girls in Montreal were kicked out of school for dressing like I do. It seems strange that a little piece of cloth would make for such controversy. Perhaps the fear is that I am harbouring an Uzi underneath it.
Of course, the issue at hand is more than a mere piece of cloth. I am a Muslim woman who, like millions of other Muslim women across the globe, chooses to wear the hijab. And the concept of the hijab, contrary to popular opinion, is actually one of the most fundamental aspects of female empowerment.
When I cover myself, I make it virtually impossible for people to judge me according to the way I look. I cannot be categorized because of my attractiveness or lack thereof. Compare this to life in today's society: We are constantly sizing one another up on the basis of our clothing, jewelry, hair and makeup. What kind of depth can there be in a world like this? Yes, I have a body, a physical manifestation upon this Earth. But it is the vessel of an intelligent mind and a strong spirit.
It is not for the beholder to leer at or to use in advertisements to sell everything from beer to cars. Because of the superficiality of the world in which we live, external appearances are so stressed that the value of the individual counts for almost nothing.
It is a myth that women in today's society are liberated. What kind of freedom can there be when a woman cannot walk down the street without every aspect of her physical self being "checked out"? When I wear the hijab I feel safe from all of this. I can rest assured that no one is looking at me and making assumptions about my character from the length of my skirt. There is a barrier between me and those who would exploit me. I am first and foremost a human being, equal to any man, and not vulnerable because of my sexuality.
One of the saddest truths of our time is the question of the beauty myth and female self-image. Reading popular teenage magazines, you can instantly find out what kind of body image is "in" or "out." and if you have the "wrong" body type, well, then, you're just going to have to change it, aren't you? After all, there is no way that you can be overweight and still be beautiful. Look at any advertisement. Is a woman being used to sell the product? How old is she? How attractive is she? What is she wearing? More often than not, that woman will be no older than her early 20s, taller, slimmer and more attractive than average, dressed in skimpy clothing.
Why do we allow ourselves to be manipulated like this?
Whether the ྖs woman wishes to believe it or not, she is being forced into a mold. She is being coerced into selling herself, into compromising herself. This is why we have 13-year-old girls sticking their fingers down their throats and overweight adolescents hanging themselves. When people ask me if I feel oppressed, I can honestly say no. I made this decision out of my own free will. I like the fact that I am taking control of the way other people perceive me. I enjoy the fact that I don't give anyone anything to look at and that I have released myself from the bondage of the swinging pendulum of the fashion industry and other institutions that exploit females.
My body is my own business. Nobody can tell me how I should look or whether or not I am beautiful. I know that there is more to me than that. I am also able to say "no" comfortably then people ask me if I feel as though my sexuality is being repressed.
I have taken control of my sexuality. I am thankful I will never have to suffer the fate of trying to lose/gain weight or trying to find the exact lipstick shade that will go with my skin colour. I have made choices about what my priorities are and these are not among them. So next time you see me, don't look at me sympathetically. I am not under duress or a male-worshipping female captive from those barbarous Arabic deserts. I've been liberated.
Sultana Yusufali is a 17 year old High School student.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,064,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wearing the Hijab is the least of women's problems in Muslim nations. .

islam in general is to believe that Allah is the only god and Muhammed is his messenger
and to do good deeds.
then you are in the path of paradise else you are in the path of hell

islam is perfect but not all moslems are perfect

care about your self and be perfect

Surely We have revealed to you the Book with the truth for the sake of men; so whoever follows the right way, it is for his own soul and whoever errs, he errs only to its detriment; and you are not a custodian over them.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:44 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,059,664 times
Quote:
islam in general is to believe that Allah is the only god and Muhammed is his messenger
and to do good deeds.

Surely We have revealed to you the Book with the truth for the sake of men; so whoever follows the right way, it is for his own soul and whoever errs, he errs only to its detriment; and you are not a custodian over them.
Islam believes that you

Must kill homosexuals,

Kill women who stray outside their marriage,

Kill non believers,

and countless other stupid laws.

BTW, you keep avoiding the indonesian law passed that says women who stray outside of marriage must be stoned to death, and that homosexuals should be jailed.

Keep drinking the Kool-aid there brain washed.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 PM

124 posts, read 282,334 times
Default Moonsun....Please answer the question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
Are they allowed to wear whatever they want? Tight blue jeans and a tank top? Would that be acceptable?

I am still waiting for an answer from you.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM

30,878 posts, read 31,761,982 times
Quote:
and to do good deeds.

You are trying to defend the indefensible. I find Islam one of the most bigoted oppressive religions of them all. Personally I think it is a crock, so your empty threats have no effect on me...It is useless to threaten an unbeliever with something he doesn't believe anyway.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,854,020 times
Quote:
Because the men also wear frocks, (not sure if they are like the true Scotsman w/o underwear) and they would not be able to hide a woody

Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,059,664 times
Quote:
I am still waiting for an answer from you.
If you ever watch the footage of Muslim women in Egypt at the Nasser funeral in 1970, none

I REPEAT NONE of the muslim women were covering their hair, or their bodies other than normal clotes.

"Men are the managers of womens affairs, as God has chosen one over another"

"Men are greater than women"

"Those wives you feel may be rebelious" Beat them, and banish them to the couch.

What kind of religion is this. They say that their practices are from their foundation, however, the hate towards women in the Muslim world is a recent dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or