Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 AM

100 posts, read 155,754 times

Advertisements

How was your life before finding your way to Islam?

My life before Islam was empty in a way. Just the feeling to live for the day and not knowing the meaning and purpose of life. My self-confidence was quite weak. I didn’t feel that I belonged anywhere in the society, something was missing. I was searching for something, I just didn’t know what it was at that time.
What was the turning point that led you to choose Islam?

It was a long journey and it took time. I knew there was and is a God, I just couldn’t identify myself with Christianity. God for me has always been something so great and big that my mind is limited to understand what He is. This, as God has such great power and can not be compared to a human being. God has no limitation, he is capable to do whatever He desires.
I searched for a long time among different religions and the more I came to know about Islam, the more I felt Islam is the full truth and it made complete sense. Islam described God as I had always imagined Him.
What do you love most about Islam?

What I mostly love about Islam is Allah’s love and mercy.
What does being a Muslim mean to you?

For me, being a Muslim means to live in peace with yourself and your friends, family and the whole society. And to show the best behaviour as possible, according to Prophet Muhammad’s (peace and blessings be upon him) Sunnah and how he treated people and how he showed love, charity and mercy. And also to please Allah (swt) [Editor’s note: (swt) is an abbreviation for Subhanahu wa Taala, used by Muslims, meaning Almighty] and follow His words and ask for forgiveness and thank Allah (swt) for everything.
What would you like to tell people about Islam?

Islam gives you a rich life, in the sense that life has a purpose and you feel peace and love in your heart.
Do you think Islam is relevant to today’s world? How?

I believe Islam is very much relevant to the world today. There is so much hatred in the world and a lot of people have the wrong concept of Islam, which is in many ways our own (we Muslims) mistakes in showing Islam in a wrong way. We need to show Islam in a peaceful way and with patience.
What do you think Islam has to offer the world today?

Islam has many things to offer the world today. For example, charity is very much emphasized and to not be greedy regarding money and material things. To share love with your neighbors and with strangers. To keep self-respect, to show that confidence is not to show your body, it is to protect it; which is the ground to confidence and good morals.
What are the obstacles that you faced after embracing Islam?

- From family, friends, and associates, etc.

There are unfortunately many misconceptions about Islam. For example, that women are oppressed and forced to do whatever men say. So, it was not strange that my parents were not happy after I told them that I reverted to Islam, but they knew that I started to read about Islam since a long time before that.
They had and still have a negative view about Islam. Very much due to what is portrayed in media, but also because of the many bad actions done by Muslims who fail to correctly represent their religion. Unfortunately, I am held responsible for other peoples acts.
My parents do accept me and they love me very much and when I’m there at their house they always cook food that I can eat as well. In that way they respect me, but they do feel ashamed if I need to pray somewhere.
What’s positive is that they think that I’m helping them a lot and that I’m very caring.
Some of my friends reacted in a negative way when I became Muslim. I have no longer any relationship with some of them, unfortunately.
Others, I still got a relationship with, but I try not to discuss Islam too much with them, as some could feel uncomfortable with that. However, they do sometimes ask me things.
My parents are not keen on discussing Islam. With time, I pray they will start asking and become Muslims inshaAllah (God willing).
It’s in the hands of Allah. I try to be kind to them, help them as much as possible, respect them and just show good behaviour.
I guess my relatives think I’m strange to revert to Islam, but none of them ever commented about it.
- From the Arabic language and/or specific acts of worship.

I have felt frustration on not understanding Arabic. I have also not felt completely free to pray in any place, even in Islamic countries.
What methods of dawah (Islamic Propagation) were used to invite you to Islam? Were they effective?

Friends who showed charity and love and open arms had a great effect on me.
What were you unhappy with in your own religion/lifestyle?

I felt I did not see a purpose with life. I had an empty feeling; no peace.
After accepting Islam did you embrace a whole new way of life; or did you experience just isolated changes to your life style?

I embraced a whole new way of life with daily prayers, etc. I’m still doing the things I liked to do before that are permissible.
How difficult was it to believe in Muhammad (peace be upon him)?

It was not difficult for me to accept the belief in Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). When you read about his beautiful way in dealing with people with understanding and love and his respect and love to people as well as animals in addition to how logical his acts were, it’s easy to believe in him.
What role did current events have on your journey to Islam?

Current events had the effect of “A wakeup call”.
Did the search for a spiritual path lead to other religions before finally finding Islam?

Yes, I read about Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism before embracing Islam, I believe that knowledge about other religions is very relevant to be able to compare and to get a larger understanding for your own religion and for other religions.
If we, as Muslims, want people to understand and respect us and our religion; we must act in the same way to others.
What is your current state after embracing Islam?

Islam has given me a feeling of peace and harmony. It’s a feeling of satisfaction that I found the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:18 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Are you like interviewing yourself? That is just weird. Glad you found peace through a book of violence. Whatever works for you I guess.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Sura 9:5 Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Sura 9:5 Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

the Quran contains 114 suras (chapters) and they have a total of 6236 verses ,
they deal with all the subjects which concern us as human beings.

6.38 There is not a moving (living) creature on earth, nor a bird that flies with its two wings, but are
communities like you. We have neglected nothing in the Book, then unto their Lord they (all) shall be
gathered.

16.89 And (remember) the Day when We shall raise up from every nation a witness against them from
amongst themselves. And We shall bring you (O Muhammad SAW) as a witness against these. And We
have sent down to you the Book (the Qur'an) as an exposition of everything, a guidance, a mercy, and
glad tidings for those who have submitted themselves (to Allâh as Muslims).

the Qur'an contains a number of verse references which address states of war against transgressors
and it also contain so many verses regarding forgiveness and pardon

7.199 Keep to forgiveness (O Muhammad), and enjoin kindness, and turn away from the ignorant.

24.22 And let not those who possess dignity and ease among you swear not to give to the near of kin
and to the needy, and to fugitives for the cause of Allah. Let them forgive and show indulgence. Yearn
ye not that Allah may forgive you? Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

15.85 We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, but for just ends. And the Hour is surely coming (when this will be manifest). So overlook (any human faults) with gracious forgiveness.

16.126 If ye punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith ye were afflicted. But if ye endure
patiently, verily it is better for the patient.

42.40 The guerdon of an ill-deed is an ill the like thereof. But whosoever pardoneth and amendeth, his
wage is the affair of Allah. Lo! He loveth not wrong-doers.

5.13 And because of their breaking their covenant, We have cursed them and made hard their hearts.
They change words from their context and forget a part of that whereof they were admonished. Thou
wilt not cease to discover treachery from all save a few of them. But bear with them and pardon them.
Lo! Allah loveth the kindly.

3:133 And vie one with another for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for those who ward off (evil)

3:134 Those who spend (of that which Allah hath given them) in ease and in adversity, those who control their wrath and are forgiving toward mankind. Allah loveth the good.

3:135 And those who, when they do an evil thing or wrong themselves, remember Allah and implore forgiveness for their sins - Who forgiveth sins save Allah only? - and will not knowingly
repeat (the wrong) they did.

3:136 The reward of such will be forgiveness from their Lord, and Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide for ever - a bountiful reward for workers!

and there are more

the quran is not only the source of islam but there is also the Hadith which is a reliably transmitted
report of what the Prophet said, did, or approved.

And there are more than tens of thousands of Hadith deal with all the subjects which concern us as human beings.
Most of them emphases and encourage for a nice attitude and noble behavior

Here are some of them

Smiling at your brother’s face is as charity

your removing of stones, thorns, and bones from people’s paths is charity

a person came to Allah,'s Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said :
Who among the people is most deserving of a fine treatment from my hand ?
He said : Your mother.
He again said : Then who (is the next one) ?
He said: Again it is your mother
He said: Then who (is the next one) ?
He (the Holy Prophet) said : Again, it is your mother.
He (again) said: Then who?
Thereupon he said: Then it is your father.

Avoid suspicion, for suspicion is the gravest lie in talk and do not be inquisitive about one another and do not spy upon one another and do not feel envy with the other, and nurse no malice, and nurse no aversion and hostility against one another. And be fellow-brothers and servants of Allah.

None amongst you should point a weapon towards his brother, for he does not know that Satan might cause the weapon (to slip) from his hand and (he may injure anyone) and thus he may fall into Hell-Fire

He will not enter Paradise whose neighbor is not secure from his wrongful conduct.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
the Quran contains 114 suras (chapters) and they have a total of 6236 verses ,
they deal with all the subjects which concern us as human beings.

6.38 There is not a moving (living) creature on earth, nor a bird that flies with its two wings, but are
communities like you. We have neglected nothing in the Book, then unto their Lord they (all) shall be
gathered.

16.89 And (remember) the Day when We shall raise up from every nation a witness against them from
amongst themselves. And We shall bring you (O Muhammad SAW) as a witness against these. And We
have sent down to you the Book (the Qur'an) as an exposition of everything, a guidance, a mercy, and
glad tidings for those who have submitted themselves (to Allâh as Muslims).

the Qur'an contains a number of verse references which address states of war against transgressors
and it also contain so many verses regarding forgiveness and pardon

7.199 Keep to forgiveness (O Muhammad), and enjoin kindness, and turn away from the ignorant.

24.22 And let not those who possess dignity and ease among you swear not to give to the near of kin
and to the needy, and to fugitives for the cause of Allah. Let them forgive and show indulgence. Yearn
ye not that Allah may forgive you? Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

15.85 We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, but for just ends. And the Hour is surely coming (when this will be manifest). So overlook (any human faults) with gracious forgiveness.

16.126 If ye punish, then punish with the like of that wherewith ye were afflicted. But if ye endure
patiently, verily it is better for the patient.

42.40 The guerdon of an ill-deed is an ill the like thereof. But whosoever pardoneth and amendeth, his
wage is the affair of Allah. Lo! He loveth not wrong-doers.

5.13 And because of their breaking their covenant, We have cursed them and made hard their hearts.
They change words from their context and forget a part of that whereof they were admonished. Thou
wilt not cease to discover treachery from all save a few of them. But bear with them and pardon them.
Lo! Allah loveth the kindly.

3:133 And vie one with another for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for those who ward off (evil)

3:134 Those who spend (of that which Allah hath given them) in ease and in adversity, those who control their wrath and are forgiving toward mankind. Allah loveth the good.

3:135 And those who, when they do an evil thing or wrong themselves, remember Allah and implore forgiveness for their sins - Who forgiveth sins save Allah only? - and will not knowingly
repeat (the wrong) they did.

3:136 The reward of such will be forgiveness from their Lord, and Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide for ever - a bountiful reward for workers!

and there are more

the quran is not only the source of islam but there is also the Hadith which is a reliably transmitted
report of what the Prophet said, did, or approved.

And there are more than tens of thousands of Hadith deal with all the subjects which concern us as human beings.
Most of them emphases and encourage for a nice attitude and noble behavior

Here are some of them

Smiling at your brother’s face is as charity

your removing of stones, thorns, and bones from people’s paths is charity

a person came to Allah,'s Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said :
Who among the people is most deserving of a fine treatment from my hand ?
He said : Your mother.
He again said : Then who (is the next one) ?
He said: Again it is your mother
He said: Then who (is the next one) ?
He (the Holy Prophet) said : Again, it is your mother.
He (again) said: Then who?
Thereupon he said: Then it is your father.

Avoid suspicion, for suspicion is the gravest lie in talk and do not be inquisitive about one another and do not spy upon one another and do not feel envy with the other, and nurse no malice, and nurse no aversion and hostility against one another. And be fellow-brothers and servants of Allah.

None amongst you should point a weapon towards his brother, for he does not know that Satan might cause the weapon (to slip) from his hand and (he may injure anyone) and thus he may fall into Hell-Fire

He will not enter Paradise whose neighbor is not secure from his wrongful conduct.
Again,

Are you saying that the Qur'an isn't always right?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,115 times
Love, Godly love, emanates from the heart regardless of what religious belief we espouse.
If it doesn't, then it is a false religion.

Many religions claim to love, but that is only a claim.

Real true Godly love has no religion, but lies and starts in ones own heart and is the source of light in a dark world.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I suppose this once again proves that one mans faith is another mans belly laugh

Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
What is this? Sara from Sweden??

Post pictures, people. Swedish girls are HOT. One literally drops down dead

Old 09-08-2009, 12:24 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Islam is always good for a laugh. Not because it's any more absurd a religion than Christianity but because the methods used to try and approach non-followers (especially those in the West) seem absolutely, positively out of date and out of touch.

I don't know if it's as noticeable to anyone else, but if you've ever traveled to the Middle East you'll see that that the method of proselytizing is consistent with the culture. This is not to say that the culture tends to proselytize (indeed, I was never once given so much as an inquisitive gesture as to what I believed whilst over there) but rather that their methods of proselytizing reflect the primitive ignorance of their society.

When I say ignorance, I simply mean the same kind of ignorance a teenage male might have when having "the talk" with his father. He already knows where babies come from but he doesn't quite understand what the car battery and jumper cables are doing in Momma and Daddy's room.

It's that ignorance (caused by the very religion they're promoting) that seems to genuflect into their proselytizing. It's roughly the equivalent of the father trying to give "the talk" with his son and saying, "Come on, sport! Let's talk over a game of Atari and watch a movie on the VCR!" For one, a twelve year old is lucky to know what an Atari or a VCR is and, even if he did, he'd probably roll his eyes at the primitive gestures of bonding (even if with good intentions) made by the father.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
I notice lately that there are many more posts (and threads started) by those wanting to "discuss" (or propagate) the Islamic tradition.
Perhaps this can serve as a mirror of sorts for indoctrinated Christians (of a certain "variety") who may be able to see, from the "outside", what indoctrination looks and feels like to others who have not been (fortunately) similarly manipulated into swallowing dogma and doctrine which insists that is is the only way to "salvation" / liberation and which insists that love is an (or the) essential part of said doctrine when, all the while, it's clear that love, kindness, tolerance, compassion, humility, etc. are often sorely lacking in those that espouse it as "the way".
Ignorance and hypocrisy come in a variety of forms and expressions in this world but when those qualities are woven into and expressed in the context of spirituality / religion it's particularly odious.
Any doctrine that insists that it is the only way is necessarily false.
Anyone who uses religion to justify violence, hatred, intolerance, war, etc., etc. is an anathema !!!!
Any form of oppression, no matter how minute and/or subtle or seemingly benign is antithetical to spirituality and any religion that contains any kind of oppressive doctrine (no matter how well it is disguised and/or rationalized) is not even worthy of discussion imo.
Or, it belongs on a political forum 'cause that's what it is ... politics ... politricks.
(i'm not specifically targeting Muslims btw - i'm speaking to anyone who believes what they think and thinks that it's absolute truth and insists that others believe and think the same way and damns them if they don't. That's godly? ... that's love? ... that's liberation? c'mon now).

The
great religions are the
ships,
poets the life
boats.
Every sane person I know has jumped
overboard.
That is good for business
isn't it
Hafiz?

-Hafiz- (Persian Sufi mystic and poet)

Last edited by coyoteskye; 09-08-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam