Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Brittany Spears!!! Couldn't resist!!
Well, maybe before she shaved her head!
I also agree that muslims should be able to dress any way that they want. What I don't appreciate is that when western women visit a nation like Saudi Arabia they're expected to wear muslim attire. I've seen so many female reporters interviewing some official and they've always got to wear this clothing. In general I think the way that women are treated in muslim nations is disgusting but I don't want to drift too far from the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 PM

28 posts, read 55,446 times
It is their right to wear what they want. Everyone has this right. I have worn one myself for a class project in Diversity class. When wearing this I noticed being eyed and looked at as if I was crazy. It is an item of clothing, some people wear hats so what. Although America has been called the Melting pot in the past, today looking around and seeing the different cultures, backgrounds, beliefs, and others we should be considered a "Salad" We all have differences in every way. Everyone has the right to be themselves.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:54 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What I don't appreciate is that when western women visit a nation like Saudi Arabia they're expected to wear muslim attire. I've seen so many female reporters interviewing some official and they've always got to wear this clothing. In general I think the way that women are treated in muslim nations is disgusting but I don't want to drift too far from the topic.
That is because Iraq/Pakistan etc are muslim STATES. They have religious police who walk around insuring folks do not do, say, or behave in a way that is contrary to the muslim faith.

America at least tries to separate church from state. Sadly, a few posters on the CD forum see it as their job to be self-appointed vanguards of the christian faith.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Given all of the events that have happened in the last few years, I can't understand why these folks don't try to blend in and look like everyone else in this country. It seems arrogant to me to dress like that when this country is welcoming them here. If I chose to live in a new country, I would eventually adapt to their customs and try to assimilate. Why don't the Muslims do the same?
I think we all know the answer to that

Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Given all of the events that have happened in the last few years, I can't understand why these folks don't try to blend in and look like everyone else in this country. It seems arrogant to me to dress like that when this country is welcoming them here. If I chose to live in a new country, I would eventually adapt to their customs and try to assimilate. Why don't the Muslims do the same?

Does it also seem arrogant to you when Jewish men wera a yarmulke?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Or when Amish women wear bonnets?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Does it also seem arrogant to you when Jewish men wera a yarmulke?

no, not really. the orthodox jews that i have seen wear the yarmulke on the sabbath and temple services. honestly, i don't know personally any orthodox jews, but do know some israelis who celebrate the sabbath. It just seems to me that every ethnic group in this country eventually gets away from the clothing of its native country and tries to blend in. Perhaps the reason being that he/she would not be discriminated against. For example, does a woman wear a hijab/burka to a job interview? only on certain days or every day? I am Mexican American, but i'll be damned if I would wear a serape to work. I imagine that my ancestors for the sake of survival also had to adapt to united states customs,clothing,language, etc.. Due to their sacrifices, I can prosper here. I'm grateful for that.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
no, not really. the orthodox jews that i have seen wear the yarmulke on the sabbath and temple services. honestly, i don't know personally any orthodox jews, but do know some israelis who celebrate the sabbath. It just seems to me that every ethnic group in this country eventually gets away from the clothing of its native country and tries to blend in. Perhaps the reason being that he/she would not be discriminated against. For example, does a woman wear a hijab/burka to a job interview? only on certain days or every day? I am Mexican American, but i'll be damned if I would wear a serape to work. I imagine that my ancestors for the sake of survival also had to adapt to united states customs,clothing,language, etc.. Due to their sacrifices, I can prosper here. I'm grateful for that.

I just think arrogance is maybe the wrong word to describe someone's observance of religion. Then again, I grew up in the NYC metro area, probably one of the most diverse areas on the planet, where NOT blending is pretty difficult

Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Quote:
So it doesn't bother you that Jews wear yarmulkes but it bothers you that Muslim/middleastern women wear a hijab? I totally don't get your rationale here. Yes, I have seen middleastern women wear the hijab to a job interview, just as I've seen Jewish men wear the yarmulke on non-Sabbaths. Whoever mentioned New York City ... it truly is, IMO, what America is and what all cities will eventually (should?) become.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
no, not really. the orthodox jews that i have seen wear the yarmulke on the sabbath and temple services. honestly, i don't know personally any orthodox jews, but do know some israelis who celebrate the sabbath.
Many orthodox Jewish men wear them every day. I lived in a town with a very large orthodox Jewish population (Highland Park, NJ) until recently. Walking down the street every day I'd see men wearing yarmulkes, white shirts, and black pants. Women dressed in conservative dresses, usually black with some ornament and a head covering. I was an atheist grad student at the time. There were many other students in town but at times I looked out of place in my jeans and sweatshirt. Should I have adopted orthodox dress for the sake of blending in? No way! I went to the deli, the kosher chinese restaurant, and the kosher pizza joint and was welcomed the same way every other customer was. And to prove the point, the town has a Unity Fest every fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam