U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:35 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,337,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
There is no dress code for the country as a whole. People can wear what they want, so long as they do not get arrested for indecent exposure. If I wanted to wear a gorilla suit around the city, that would be ok (if a bit weird). Why shouldn't moslem women wear burkas/chadors/headscarves.

They also believe that their religion calls for them to do so. Speaking as an atheist, that is a bit of a silly reason to wear any type of clothing, but as the majority of the country sees religion as a get out of jail free card for all sorts of strange behavior, why should this not apply to moslem women as well?

For what it is worth, in my neighborhood, on a daily basis, I see eastern orthodox monks in long black robes with full grey beards, Indian women in saris, sikhs in turbans, moslems with some variety of concealing robe, jews (although not hasidic) with yarmulkes, catholic priests with white collars, 16 year old girls with micro mini skirts, guys with cargo shorts, etc.

What is the correct apparel that should be worn? Is it appropriate to ask christians to not wear a crucifix, as this is wearing religion on your sleeve?

Good points. I think that someone mentioned earlier that in England we had this same debate. Many people wanted the Muslim attire banned. What would we think if the government decided to ban jeans or hoodies?? Its just clothing to me and they should have the right to wear what they want.

I do however think that in the workplace we should all have to abide by the same rules regardless of religious beliefs or traditions, but in a free society, lets keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:47 PM

646 posts, read 1,506,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I do however think that in the workplace we should all have to abide by the same rules regardless of religious beliefs or traditions, but in a free society, lets keep it that way.
The workplace is a bit different. I enforce a dress code upon my employees, and will continue to do so. But that is about creating a particular business environment.

I will admit that I am not sure what I would do if a woman wanted to wear a burqa. On the one hand, I do not allow employees to wear hats while working, so not allowing this type of garment would be consistent with the rest of my rules. As an atheist, I also do not have much patience with silly religious restrictions. But as a practical matter, I am not sure that I would want to fight that fight.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:59 PM

137 posts, read 390,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittboy77 View Post
Well is it ok for nuns to cover their head but not ok for a muslim woman of whatever ethnicity to wear her veil. I remember my old man telling me fear a man that has no faith. Any faith. That implies for those that can not read between the lines that if the person has any faith you are not to fear him. Try to understand our religion Islam for what it is. You might even end up embracing it as yours.
Pittboy,

I am not so sure your Islam, if you were you would know it is a matter of faith that the women wear their veils. You say they should not no matter what their ethnic groups may be; well, if they should not then you say they should deny their faith and as such would have none ( in a manner of speaking) an dthat would go against everyting you just said!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. I have not been to a Hasidic community. the closest that i have come to that are the orthodox jews walking to services in the fairfax area of los angeles. I'm just not in favor of people wearing their religion "on their sleeve" at all times. Just as every workplace has a dress code, I don't think that form nor any form of religious wear has a place at the job. I would venture to say that most americans have never been up close to a hasidic community. honestly, i think that i'd feel out of place though since i wuold look so different.
Let people live the way they want; its not your business!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
The muslim veil is not about custom, it has to do with their religion itself. It is a part of their religion. No offense, but I find this question ignorant. I would have done a bit more research before posting a question like this.

Yes they stand out by wearing a veil, but so what? I respect the fact that part of their religion is modesty. Did you know that they only wear the veil around other males, who are not related to them? At home, when they are with family, they remove the veil. I personally would rather see someone wearing a veil, then seeing someone with their stomach and cleavage popping out everywhere. That bothers me much more.

You say that you don't like seeing people wearing their religion on their sleeve, why not? I don't see anything wrong with it. Many muslims are born in America, it IS their country. If we are asking people of the muslim faith to leave their religious dress in their country of origin, maybe we should ask nuns and priests to stop wearing their robes altogether, and leave their religious dress in the country where catholicism originated. Or maybe people of the Jewish faith should have left their religious dress in Jerusalem.

Things that we don't understand, or have little knowledge of, often bother us. Educate yourself a bit on the muslim faith, and other faiths who dress a certain way because of religious views, then you may not feel so bothered by those who choose "wear their religion on their sleeve" as you previously stated.
Well said!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
The workplace is a bit different. I enforce a dress code upon my employees, and will continue to do so. But that is about creating a particular business environment.

I will admit that I am not sure what I would do if a woman wanted to wear a burqa. On the one hand, I do not allow employees to wear hats while working, so not allowing this type of garment would be consistent with the rest of my rules. As an atheist, I also do not have much patience with silly religious restrictions. But as a practical matter, I am not sure that I would want to fight that fight.
So what if a Jew wanted to wear their yarmulke( knowing full well it is a religious requirement)? Would you refuse to hire them unless they removed it?

An honest answer would be best!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 PM

51,828 posts, read 29,908,835 times
I don't care what Muslim women wear, just as long as they don't strap bombs to themselves, walk into a crowded place and blow themselves up.

It has happened in Israel.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
So what if a Jew wanted to wear their yarmulke( knowing full well it is a religious requirement)? Would you refuse to hire them unless they removed it?

An honest answer would be best!
Of course I will answer honestly. No point in even taking part in the conversation if I were not going to do that.

Yes, I would hire a Jew wearing a yarmulke. I would also hire a moslem woman who wanted to wear a head scarf. In fact, I have done so, although she ultimately did not take the job.

My hesitation is based specifically upon the burqa, which completely hides a person from all view, with the wearer essentially looking out at the world from behind a screen of cloth. I will admit that I am not sure what I would do in this case.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't care what Muslim women wear, just as long as they don't strap bombs to themselves, walk into a crowded place and blow themselves up.

It has happened in Israel.
But only once or twice. That is still too often, but suicide bombing is still a male dominated ..... job? task? psychotic episode?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
Talking response

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. I have not been to a Hasidic community. the closest that i have come to that are the orthodox jews walking to services in the fairfax area of los angeles. I'm just not in favor of people wearing their religion "on their sleeve" at all times. Just as every workplace has a dress code, I don't think that form nor any form of religious wear has a place at the job. I would venture to say that most americans have never been up close to a hasidic community. honestly, i think that i'd feel out of place though since i wuold look so different.
I lived in a town in New York near Monticello New York, Hasidics are EVERYWHERE up there during the spring and summer seasons. i would never dare go to Wal-Mart. becasue of all the jews there. frankly they scared me a little because i had never seen them up close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or