U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You are being unreasonable. The answer is that the muslim girl should dress like everyone else in her peer group. I wish that we could hear from an actual muslim so that she could say why she dresses that way when she is sure to be given a double take. Why don't they leave their old world customs back in their old country?
I don't know where you're from, but I don't give muslim women a double take when they wear the hijab. In fact, I think it's beautiful and I also find the women (especially from Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria) to be the most beautiful women in the world.

I think your questions seem sensible to someone who has never spoken to, or had much contact with the people. The reason they wear the hijab is out of respect for themselves and for God. They're not going to give up religious belief because they're in a different country. They're still under the same deity.

My advice to you is to open your mind. Everything is relative to experience. You simply haven't experienced other cultures in a positive manner enough not to appear to be entirely ethnocentristic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
I am one of the few who support the OP's sentiments.

When you think that in Islamic countries like Afghanistan the burkha is forced on women whether they want it or not, these Muslims in exile seem to be indulging themselves. The same goes for those born outside of an Islamic society.

I find it offensive and hostile. No way on God's earth is it natural or commanded that a woman cover herself from head to toe in this restrictive and insulting costume, with just a pair of eyes peering out at you.

There is a huge chasm in this country and it grows wider by the day. We have had Islam forced on us and the future does not look rosy at all.
The problem with your viewpoint is that Afghanistan is what you used as your example, even though a) it's not even technically in the middle east, b) it's not at all a standard for Muslim women.

Most women who wear a veil do not wear the burka, in fact, they wear the hijab. The burka is popular essentially only in Afghanistan. The Niqab is popular in Saudi Arabia and other surrounding gulf areas while the Hijab is popular in the rest of the middle east. So they're not just ''eyes peeking out at you.''

The Hijab is also very much optional. Women in most middle eastern countries decide for themselves whether or not they will wear it. I know it will pain you to open your mind and think something different from what Fox News has told you, but countries like Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria (as well as Iraq pre-invasion) are all very liberal states in which many of the women don't even wear the Hijab!

I should also mention that in gulf states, men also choose to wear a cover -- the practice is not a female standard. I can tell you that as you study why they chose to wear a covering, you might be interested to know that in part, it was born out of the fact that these coverings, veils, and as you call them, "costumes," had alot to do with the desert heat and sun, and the fact that while wearing such garments, it also kept them cooler than if they had not worn them. The other reason is of course, modesty, and especially in gulf states, you see men wearing a varied mix of garb as well.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:17 AM

787 posts, read 1,546,364 times
Is it possible that the OP was not so much referring the Hijab as a religious symbol, but how some people associate the Hijab with oppression and hence, may find it slightly offensive? Purely guessing here.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,042,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
same answer for you. We in the US don't "kowtow" to Muslims. Jail cell oriented to Mecca?!?! Are you serious? Yes, that is a bit ridiculous. Did this actually happen in England? Different food, I can agree with. The veil not allowed for security? No, I cannot agree with this, unless you are going to ban long skirts, baggy jeans, puffy down jackets, etc...
This (bolded part) sparked a vague memory. I believe there was some sort of issue (in the USA? I don't recall) with Muslim prisoners objecting to being put in certain cells where they faced the direction of Mecca if they were sitting on the toilet. I believe the resolution was to simply put them in cells that didn't have that issue.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,573,472 times
[quote=j_k_k;6801134] This is Britain, and no religion stands above any other except the Church of England, nor is any other religion going to get special privileges.
Boy I love this one. Maybe only in Britain, but here in the US no religion at all should stand above any other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Any complaints from any other nation can be answered simply. "We'll allow all that the day Saudi stops beating up women for an overly sexy wrist display, and the day it becomes illegal to kill your daughter for getting laid in Pakistan. Until then, kindly sod off."
So how civilized a country is and how much freedom it affords it's citizens depends on that of another country?
Quote:
I'm a non-Christian who often bitterly resents the preferences and privileges Christianity gets in this country, but got to give them credit: they ask for nothing like the special privileges Muslims have arm-twisted out of Britain.
They don't need to. If Britain is set up like the US, there are many concessions to Christians that are simply put, built into our daily lives. No need to ask for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I should also mention that in gulf states, men also choose to wear a cover -- the practice is not a female standard. I can tell you that as you study why they chose to wear a covering, you might be interested to know that in part, it was born out of the fact that these coverings, veils, and as you call them, "costumes," had alot to do with the desert heat and sun, and the fact that while wearing such garments, it also kept them cooler than if they had not worn them. The other reason is of course, modesty, and especially in gulf states, you see men wearing a varied mix of garb as well.
Good for you. I made this point in another thread. People looking at women covering themselves up and think it is an atrocity, but fail to realize that the men in those areas are not walking around in shorts and tank tops, either. They are practically covering as much as the women, except maybe the face and hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Is it possible that the OP was not so much referring the Hijab as a religious symbol, but how some people associate the Hijab with oppression and hence, may find it slightly offensive? Purely guessing here.
Perhaps, but we cannot be offended by our own misguided associations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
This (bolded part) sparked a vague memory. I believe there was some sort of issue (in the USA? I don't recall) with Muslim prisoners objecting to being put in certain cells where they faced the direction of Mecca if they were sitting on the toilet. I believe the resolution was to simply put them in cells that didn't have that issue.
You are probably right, but to that I'd say, turn your fanny 4 degrees to the left or right. If it's a round toilet seat it's won't make a difference. It shouldn't matter if the toilet is facing Mecca, if they are not.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
So how civilized a country is and how much freedom it affords it's citizens depends on that of another country?
You fully missed the point.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,573,472 times
Quote:
You fully missed the point.
I guess I did, sorry.

What was it, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or