U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,464,640 times

Advertisements

Given all of the events that have happened in the last few years, I can't understand why these folks don't try to blend in and look like everyone else in this country. It seems arrogant to me to dress like that when this country is welcoming them here. If I chose to live in a new country, I would eventually adapt to their customs and try to assimilate. Why don't the Muslims do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,498,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Given all of the events that have happened in the last few years, I can't understand why these folks don't try to blend in and look like everyone else in this country. It seems arrogant to me to dress like that when this country is welcoming them here. If I chose to live in a new country, I would eventually adapt to their customs and try to assimilate. Why don't the Muslims do the same?
Because they actually believe what they claim to believe.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
It's not arrogance, it's their religious/moral/cultural belief. If a Christian were to wear a cross around his/her neck and travel abroad, do you think people in other countries would say "OMG I can't believe (s)he's wearing that cross! How arrogant!" People from all over the world feel comfortable in or have differing beliefs about wearing different types of clothing. In America you see it all come together and that is part of what makes this country great. Muslim women wearing veils, Indian women wearing saris, Turkish men wearing silk shirts, and Italian men awash in brylcreem are all things you'll see at the market. When you say Muslim women should look like "everyone else" who should they look like?

Old 05-01-2007, 03:53 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,996,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It's not arrogance, it's their religious/moral/cultural belief. If a Christian were to wear a cross around his/her neck and travel abroad, do you think people in other countries would say "OMG I can't believe (s)he's wearing that cross! How arrogant!" People from all over the world feel comfortable in or have differing beliefs about wearing different types of clothing. In America you see it all come together and that is part of what makes this country great. Muslim women wearing veils, Indian women wearing saris, Turkish men wearing silk shirts, and Italian men awash in brylcreem are all things you'll see at the market. When you say Muslim women should look like "everyone else" who should they look like?
Absolutely agree with this!

Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,679,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
This country is 'welcoming' them here? Many are born here and have been for generations.

They no more need to give up their religious beliefs and culture because you find them offensive anymore then you need to give up your religious beliefs and culture because others find them just as offensive.

The only arrogance I see is in this post.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,967,409 times
This country got started b'c of relgious persecution so pardon me for saying this but I think your question is pretty close-minded. What makes this country great is our right to freedom of speech and religion. Instead of asking "why do Muslims wear 'veils'" (anybody know the technical term?) maybe you should ask yourself, "what can I learn from someone who is different from me?" Instead of assuming Muslims are being arrogant for looking different, why not get to know a Muslim and ask why they wear it?

See, I just looked it up and learned something today: the veil you are referring to is called "hijab" and women wear it for modesty, privacy and morality. Go wikipedia!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,196 times
Talking freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
This country got started b'c of religious persecution so pardon me for saying this but I think your question is pretty close-minded. What makes this country great is our right to freedom of speech and religion. Instead of asking "why do Muslims wear 'veils'" (anybody know the technical term?) maybe you should ask yourself, "what can I learn from someone who is different from me?" Instead of assuming Muslims are being arrogant for looking different, why not get to know a Muslim and ask why they wear it?

See, I just looked it up and learned something today: the veil you are referring to is called "hijab" and women wear it for modesty, privacy and morality. Go wikipedia!
i totally agree with this everyone deserves to live their life the way the way they want without other people persecuting them. this country is a big melting pot with different cultures and ethnicitys and that why is makes this country great

Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 25 days ago)

58,166 posts, read 40,957,744 times
WOW! What great, sensible reponses to the OP. I agree.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM

606 posts, read 533,593 times
if I am muslim,I'll give up the faith,ahh.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 AM

1,393 posts, read 921,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
. When you say Muslim women should look like "everyone else" who should they look like?
Brittany Spears!!! Couldn't resist!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or