U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,445,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I did agree that Muslims did a lot for science, in fact they were considered the most advanced in science in their heyday, but I don't think that they haven't contributed much in modern times....Why not?

In the Middle Ages, while Europeans were busy warring, plundering, and burning heretics at the stake, Muslim scholars were inventing the most advanced devices of the day. They refined the scientific method, developed effective cardiac drugs, and built celestial observatories—yet over time their contributions were largely forgotten. Fathers of Invention: What Muslims Gave the Scientific World
yeah sorry ... i wasn't addressing you specifically.
your post just got in the way of my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:30 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,458,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
"most of the rest of us"?
Most of the world doesn't kill people for being gay, or converting to a non-Muslim religion. Most of the world doesn't marry off little girls to middle-aged men. Most of the world doesn't think women should cover themselves up from head to toe. Need I go on?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,562,103 times
One nutter opens a thread and the other nutters go haywire

Do you guys do other stuff, like grocery shopping and the like??

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 09-30-2009 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Bowdlerized LMAO

Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
Is because Islam what?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,854,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
One nutter opens a thread and the other nutters go haywire

Do you guys do other stuff, like grocery shopping and the like??
Who are you to call anyone nutz? Considering the many non sequiturs you post all over the place.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,458,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Who are you to call anyone nutz? Considering the many non sequiturs you post all over the place.
The ignore option works wonders.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,862,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
My gods, people. Are you so christo-centric that you don't even pay attention to history?

You do realize of course, that Western science owes its very existence to Arabic sciences? The current numerical system is Arabic in origin. It doesn't matter if you believe in the nonsense of religion or not. Arabic and Persian sciences basically saved the West from the Dark Ages.

Galileo, Copernicus, Brahe and Kepler all owed their education to the Arabic texts. These teachings were the basis of the Renaissance.
Arabic, certainly, not Islamic.

Most of the scientific advances equated with the Arab world occured prior to the advent of Islam.

Remember, Arab does not automatically mean Islamic.

Like Islam's sibling religion, scientific explorations tend to be stifled in areas where that relgiion holds dominance.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 AM

2,782 posts, read 3,732,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Great.

Let me quote you verbatim:

"Christo? Don't you me reality base.

Western (modern) science owes its very existence to Galileo Galilei. Galileo, set the foundation of modern science.
Arabic science? No such thing. Science is science, not matter who is working on it."

Therefore:

I challenge anyone here to understand what the hell you are talking about. Basically, you are nuts.
I think I waited long enough, no one has agree with you.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:32 AM

39,083 posts, read 10,842,814 times
In some ways the OP was making a point like Hovind's 'all the great discoveries were made by Creationists', not evolutionists.

Strictly true, it is actually dishonest and it is no more than a rhetorical trick. The old - time scientists may have believed in God and considered their science as ways of seeing how He worked. They had no reason to suppose that the Biblical creation was other than true. However, they did their work as scientists, using the scientific method, not as Creationists, using the Bible to discredit their findings. And their work, in the end, led to a science - based view rather than the Bible - literalist one.

So Moonsun's point is valid, in some ways. Of course, the science originated with the Non- muslim Hellenes, either polytheistic or Christian. Some muslims did some good work based on the greek knowledge but they did it as scientists, not as muslims. Islam can claim some credit for preserving and transmitting the greek learning and perhaps adding to it, but Islam itself can claim no contribution to science, only a disservice to the scientific method as it enjoins faith and closed - minded acceptance of whatever is in the Quran ather than a logical and science - based evaluation of it.

It has been even more discreditable since some muslims embraced creationism.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,372,762 times
Default "Loudspeakers on, aaaanddd..."

I KNEW it! Darwin's incredible and inciteful conceptualization was because he must had had some Arab in him! Or is it Him?

Just because someone scopes out a general process, in it's absolute infancy, does not mean they are then responsible, nor in a position to accept all credit for, subsequent discoveries or enhancements. Hateful Christians, always happy to suppress any true knowledge that refutes their illogical myths, have been taught to hate Darwin, as though he alone discovered DNA, genome mapping and fossil aging and paleontological positioning. Wow, huh? Ditto here with Arabic "science".

Commodore Business Systems came up with a nice little computer, the 64. Come to think of it, perhaps we should all applaud Sinclair for all the world's current computers becaue of their neat (??) little 1980's unit.

http://blog.domenique.ch/wp-content/...bitchslap2.jpg

I still have one in a box somewhere! I think my cell-phone has more computing power!

Science is a living process, though it's pretty much established now, after a few hundred decades, as a simple, logical Q&A agreed-on system designed to miminize hoaxes, trickery and false conclusions. Is that what the Arabs invented? Common sense?

The consequent inventions may or may not have been a result of that process. Many inventions are strictly ad hoc, lucky or theft of someone else's ideas. Some are the result of diligent science, but not all.

At any rate, modern Islam, as opposed to ancient Arab culture, is in no way responsible for much of anything in terms of open-minded, logical modern answer-seeking. Everything they do claim is now officially ancient, and probably preceeded Mohammmed's appearance.

The Large Hadron Collider being built in Iran? Not likely. The Islamic Space Exploration Agency? Where? The "Praise Allah Wanna-Be-A-Mayo Clinic"? Not so much.

But... The new methane-hybrid "Camelo" car? Coming soon to a marketplace near your hut!

http://www.kamat.com/database/pictures/corel/80089.jpg

Praise Allah The Scientist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or