U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM

28,220 posts, read 47,646,554 times

Advertisements

KIZLYAR, Russia - A "miracle" baby has brought a kind of mystical hope to people in Russia's mostly Muslim southern fringe who are increasingly desperate in the face of Islamist violence.

From hunchbacked grandmas to schoolboys, hundreds of pilgrims lined up this week in blazing sunshine to get a glimpse of 9-month-old baby Ali Yakubov, on whose body they say verses from the Koran appear and fade every few days.

‘Miracle’ baby brings hope in Russia - Russia- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:28 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,465,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
KIZLYAR, Russia - A "miracle" baby has brought a kind of mystical hope to people in Russia's mostly Muslim southern fringe who are increasingly desperate in the face of Islamist violence.

From hunchbacked grandmas to schoolboys, hundreds of pilgrims lined up this week in blazing sunshine to get a glimpse of 9-month-old baby Ali Yakubov, on whose body they say verses from the Koran appear and fade every few days.

LOL...riiight. People are so gullible. PT Barnum had it right, that's for sure.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM

777 posts, read 1,123,761 times
That is fantastic! I would be quite interested to see some of the verses that appear--assuming this is true, that is.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
That is fantastic! I would be quite interested to see some of the verses that appear--assuming this is true, that is.
You'd have to ask his parents what verses they're planning to scratch into their child's skin.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:01 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,734,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Child abuse = "miracle"...

Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You'd have to ask his parents what verses they're planning to scratch into their child's skin.
You know you can get a rational explanation for this without insulting or accusing the parents.

For example people see shapes or Arabic letters in all kinds of things. Reportedly if you put the Coca-Cola symbol in front of a kind of "fun-house mirror" you will see something that looks like an Arabic word. This is most likely accidental, particularly as you have to use a bit of imagination to see it.

So the child may have a swirly birthmark that fades in and out, as some do, and certain minds see that as a Qur'anic phrase. (I don't know Arabic but I think "be thankful or grateful to Allah" is a relatively simple phrase) The human mind tends to see patterns, some of which are real and some of which are not. There's a commercial for American Express or something that shows various ordinary objects appearing to be smiley faces or frowny faces that indicates this principle.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You know you can get a rational explanation for this without insulting or accusing the parents.

For example people see shapes or Arabic letters in all kinds of things. Reportedly if you put the Coca-Cola symbol in front of a kind of "fun-house mirror" you will see something that looks like an Arabic word. This is most likely accidental, particularly as you have to use a bit of imagination to see it.

So the child may have a swirly birthmark that fades in and out, as some do, and certain minds see that as a Qur'anic phrase. (I don't know Arabic but I think "be thankful or grateful to Allah" is a relatively simple phrase) The human mind tends to see patterns, some of which are real and some of which are not. There's a commercial for American Express or something that shows various ordinary objects appearing to be smiley faces or frowny faces that indicates this principle.
Did you read the article? It says different verses magically appear in red on the child's skin, then fade away.

There's only a couple of logical explanations for that, and both involve the parents (or someone very close to the child) marking their child either by scratching him lightly so that the marks fade quickly, or by writing on him with something and it washing/wearing off.

Occam's Razor, dude. I mean, come on...parents doing this for hype and possible money, or a "miracle".

Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Did you read the article? It says different verses magically appear in red on the child's skin, then fade away.

There's only a couple of logical explanations for that, and both involve the parents (or someone very close to the child) marking their child either by scratching him lightly so that the marks fade quickly, or by writing on him with something and it washing/wearing off.

Occam's Razor, dude. I mean, come on...parents doing this for hype and possible money, or a "miracle".
I'd only heard the one phrase ever mentioned. They say different phrases appear, but no others are mentioned. Even then it might not be that unusual for a birthmark to appear and reappear with a slightly different look that can be interpreted however.

It being a miracle I admit doesn't sit well with me either as this would seem to imply that God grants miracles to validate less true religions that lack divine revelation. I'd just rather not leap to abuse unless absolutely necessary.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

It being a miracle I admit doesn't sit well with me either as this would seem to imply that God grants miracles to validate less true religions that lack divine revelation. I'd just rather not leap to abuse unless absolutely necessary.
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You're basically saying that if it were biblical phrases that you'd believe it to be miracle, because it fits with your particular version of belief. How religio-centric of you. Yours is no more right than any other religion; other religions are no more wrong than yours.

If phrases are appearing on this child, someone non-supernatural is putting them there.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
Do you realize I don't necessarily care that much what sounds ridiculous to you? Many things likely sound ridiculous to you. For all I know Quantum Entanglement would sound ridiculous to you.

I might just want to express what I think without reference to your individual standard of what's ridiculous or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or