U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,905,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
I don't live in ancient Israel. This was given to the Hebrews at that time, under those conditions, for a specific reason. The commands to kill infidels in the koran are not the same.
Since you answered this way, answer this other question. If you lived in 'ancient Israel' and Moses ordered you to kill you sibling or parent should they have tried to lead you away from Moses' god, would you have obeyed Moses and killed them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:04 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,038,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Where in my OP did I state that these actions were the result of anything in the Koran? I simply stated that most muslims I have spoken with inform me that their holy book teaches love and good will. Many a dedicated worshipper of Islam believe that the terrorists, and people who do acts such as this father did, have twisted the teachings of Islam to fit their agenda. At least, I would hope that is all it is.
the tone of your post seemed to as if you deny that quran teaches love and good will , just because muslim father killed his daughter

after all , you asked about how muslims justifies such acts , my openion is that no muslim justifies it but by his own desire

Quote:
As Mercury Cougar pointed out, extremists exist in every religion. Islam, though, seems to have a much higher level of frequency in regards to these acts. I have never read the Koran. What I know is what I witness in our world on a daily basis. You are telling me to remain silent, yet my goal is just to get some input regarding these issues.
i really sorry if i was rude with you or something , may be i misunderstood your intensions
accept my apology please

well , somehow seems to me that islam have much media focus to be represented as a wrost of religions in the earth

even if it have higher level of frequency from specific act dosn't mean that it's islamic acts . are you agree ?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,455,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
the tone of your post seemed to as if you deny that quran teaches love and good will , just because muslim father killed his daughter

after all , you asked about how muslims justifies such acts , my openion is that no muslim justifies it but by his own desire

i really sorry if i was rude with you or something , may be i misunderstood your intensions
accept my apology please

well , somehow seems to me that islam have much media focus to be represented as a wrost of religions in the earth

even if it have higher level of frequency from specific act dosn't mean that it's islamic acts . are you agree ?
Elwill, I don't think that most Muslims condone this; at least not the ones who do not live under shariah law. I think that most of them are reasonable people, but the problem is that the extreme cases are the ones we see in the media and that doesn't help things.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,894,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post

accept my apology please

There was no offense taken. I just did not want my words taken out of context. Every individual is responsible for their own actions. Now, I will try to express an opinion and question without sticking my foot in my mouth...

America is considered by many to be a "Christian" nation, even though only roughly 30% of the population practices religion devoutly in their daily lives. On the flipside, what % of people in the middle-east practice Islam devoutly on a daily basis? I'm going to throw out a number. 90%. Am I close to being right?

When people see and hear about these atrocities committed at the frequency they do all around the world, how can one believe that there is not a strong connection between what is taught to those that follow Islam, and what their actions are solely as an individual?

In areas of the world where religious saturation is at such a grand scale, such as the middle-east, is there any separation between religion and personal life whatsoever? I could not imagine the USA being 90% devout Christian. That would be a crazy concept to behold. The closest I have ever been to that kind of religious saturation is Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a weird feeling to say the least. I could not imagine living there and not being Mormon.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,853,629 times
You know, here in SA, we have really moderate Muslims and I do business with them regularly, never been screwed by them BTW, xians well, I could write a book. Muslims here are predominantly Asian in origin.

I think in place like the ME where the predominant religion is muslim, they seem to be identified as such as opposed to their country of origin. It appears the radicals hail from this area and some from Pakistan.

In SA, muslims identify as South Africans first, Pakistanis second, and Muslim third, we see this when Pakistan play cricket here and there is huge local support for the Pakistani team.

I believe, as others have stated, their are crackpots in all religions and is not necessarily indicative of the tenets of that religion. In the case of countries like Iran, we see the real evils of theism ruling the state, one must not forget that xians had their fair share and if the OT is anything to go by, the Jews too.

However just as the folk call the muslims to police their own the same should be said of the xians. Seems both camps like to play the no true Scotsman fallacy and deny rather than denounce these radicals. A secular government that allows all faiths to operate is far better than one that is heavily influenced by a particular faith.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,680,648 times
This is exactly why the Christian religion won so many hearts when Jesus came 2,000 years ago. I hear many are becoming Muslim but these things will change minds again toward Christianity.

Of course, we will always have radicals in every religion but the silence of the mullahs about these atrocities is deafening.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,273,174 times
This is crazy. All in the name of hating the West when he lives here?

Yeah right. What an *******. Rot in jail, scumbag.

How DARE you kill your daughter because she is too westernized? Another example of an honor killing I see?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,680,648 times
Daughters are just property to them to do with what they want.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Don't point fingers at just the Muslims. Christians and other religions do equally horrifying things in the name of their gods. People who are prone to violence will find an excuse to do it, no matter what they believe in.
for real? you mean when a lutheran gal sleeps around you can expect her dad to kill her? interesting. you must go to a different church than me. honestly friend they do it different in bagdad. know much about the mideast?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,901,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
for real? you mean when a lutheran gal sleeps around you can expect her dad to kill her? interesting. you must go to a different church than me. honestly friend they do it different in bagdad. know much about the mideast?

Well the OT says to do just that. God's word=god's laws. But I guess god changed his mind. He saw what a screwed up law that was. He messed up. Made a mistake. Not so perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam