U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,994,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Punishment for leaving islam is death.
There are only a few Muslim nations that have this on the books and many of those don't enforce it. In Senegal one of their Presidents went back and forth between Islam and Christianity.

Some interpretations of Islam state that apostasy being a death sentence refers only to a specific time when the Islamic community was under violent attack. Therefore apostates were potential traitors or at least potential deserters who would damage the efforts at defense. Therefore in peacetime apostasy is a personal choice. Oddly some Radical Muslim almost seem to agree, but they would likely say that the non-Islamic world is always, or at least is currently, at war with Islam and therefore apostasy is treason.

A somewhat more common thing I'd read is that apostasy is only a crime if it is "public." If you keep your atheism or Christianity purely private there is no crime. It's only being "out" that you endanger faith and morals. In Medieval times Catholics had a similar philosophy. Thomas More would have guests that basically indicated they agreed with Martin Luther and he might cordially debate them at home. However people who publicly distributed Lutheran literature he deemed to be potentially threatening to public morality and if necessary he would support torture or execution for them. (For the record this is a Catholic saint I largely admire. Despite that I certainly am willing to concede there's a "dark side" to even some good Catholics. That being said torture and execution were common punishments then, ones the Protestants were quite willing to use against More)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,560,432 times
So, moonsun, what's your point? Are we all supposed to stop what we're doing and embrace Islam? Someone converts to Islam--who cares if they're famous or not?--isn't a case for anyone else to do the same.

This isn't the first thread where you apply such "logic," I suspect it won't be the last, and you never seem to tire of making your case, as though we were in a courtroom and you'd eventually be victorious through sheer perseverance.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,266,340 times
You know what strikes me funny about that picture? Look how this guy is dressed and then look at the people in the background who are dressed normally, but most likely have been Muslims their whole life. Most Muslims I have known and who grew up in their culture dress like everyone else.

This is something I've noticed over the years. Whenever Americans (especially, but not limited to, white Americans) "convert" to something, they go out of their way to dress in what they think is the "appropriate" attire. If it's Hindu, they wear the Nehru jackets. It's some Asian culture, they'll wear kimonos or those Chinese Kung Fu shirts. If it's their convoluted idea of Native American practices, they start wearing feathers, buckskin and beads. People who grew up in those cultures dress in everyday clothes. Why is it that these American converts have this incessant need to look the part? If it wasn't so irritating, it would be funny. This dude looks like he just came from a masquerade party.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,040,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Saudi for example.
The Saudi Mutaween (Arabic: مطوعين), or Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice (i.e., the religious police) prohibits practice of Christian religion. All citizens must be Muslims. There are probably more than 1 million Roman Catholics in Saudi Arabia. The percentage of Christians among the about 1.2 million Filipinos in Saudi Arabia likely exceeds 90%[1]. Conversion by a Muslim to another religion is considered apostasy, a crime punishable by death if the accused does not recant. The Government does not permit non-Muslim clergy to enter the country for the purpose of conducting religious services. Bibles and other Christian materials are prohibited.
SOURCE: Christianity in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, by the way, I know the largest muslim countries (Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangldesh, India) are not in middle east and are culturally more tolerant.

is sudia just one example , or the only example you have

Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 AM

5,426 posts, read 5,735,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
is sudia just one example , or the only example you have
Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Qatar, Yemen, Iran, Sudan, Afghanistan and Mauritania Pakistan

Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,560,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Why is it that these American converts have this incessant need to look the part?
They're afraid they won't fit in, and therefore not be accepted. And that's funny, because they felt the same way before they converted, or they wouldn't have! It's a vicious circle.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:48 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,592,462 times
As long as a hot chick does not convert to Islam and covers it all up , I'm not complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or