U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:28 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,924,788 times

Advertisements

True, extremists come from all religions. My son was on that base for 3yrs,
I spent some time there as well. This is where training goes on for the middle east.
I can remember thinking the place was prime target for disaster, but doesn't explain
what happened, unless additional info is released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,589,110 times

Why exactly is the US army enlisting muslims? I get the ACLU argument, but why?

Time to take a leaf out of Indian, Chinese and Pakistani armies. Profiling can work sometimes.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM

They had known this six months ago, they gottabe kidding

AP: Officials had concerns about Fort Hood suspect - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_fort_hood_shooting_suspect - broken link)

WASHINGTON Federal law enforcement officials say the suspected Fort Hood, Texas, shooter had come to their attention at least six months ago because of Internet postings that discussed suicide bombings and other threats.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,624,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Why exactly is the US army enlisting muslims? I get the ACLU argument, but why?

Time to take a leaf out of Indian, Chinese and Pakistani armies. Profiling can work sometimes.
The military is secular, or suppose to be secular. It should be blind to the religion of all its members. We did have a period where it seemed Bush was trying to have a religious war with Christian soldiers. I think that idea is now reversed, and I hope the Muslims recognize the war is against terrorism, or for oil or anything but their religion. It is a dangerous path to fight over myths which both sides can not prove, and after killing 200,000,000 over the last 2000 years I think we all should recognize the foolishness in doing it again.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM

13,575 posts, read 21,734,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Why exactly is the US Army enlisting muslims? I get the ACLU argument, but why?

First off the US Army is volunteer..
Secondly American Muslims are allowed to serve their country as much as American Catholics, Protestants or Atheists are..
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Well then, there are a lot of distasteful consequences to be dealt with, like the one here which could have been "clearly" avoided.

I get the free-all standpoint. India is very much a democracy but muslims get heavily profiled/scrutinized in the army. And it's a successful army free of unwanted incidents. Sometimes one's gotta do what needs to be done. Oh well....

Very much like the self-destruction of Rome with the influx of Gothic and other Germanic warriors.

If people can do this in airports, why not everywhere else? It's easy and has good results.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,624,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What faith did Timothy McVeigh convert to?
He said he was Christians, The Nation of Islam noted he was a Christian Terrorist,
("Even though his crime was the most horrific committed up until that time, no one said Christian Timothy McVeigh, they just said Timothy McVeigh.” Louis Farrakhan).
Atheist groups noted his Christian faith, (“Why is no one calling the Oklahoma City bombing suspects a Christian terrorists’?” Dan Barker).
The Christians said he couldn’t be Christian if he did such an act. Same defense they used when Hitler tried to kill off half of Europe. If you kill enough and get caught you are removed from the Christian membership if you win it is all OK.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,611,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What faith did Timothy McVeigh convert to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Mcveigh was not a muslim. I believe he was a Christian
Thanks for throwing the Christian monkey-wrench into this conversation. Everyone knows that if you die for Jesus you go to heaven, and if you're a no-good U.S. soldier-killing Muslim that you go to hell.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,737 times
It amazes me that Christians seem to forget some of the atrocities that were committed in the name of Christianity. In Europe, many a war was started at the urging of the Catholic Church. Isn't that why here in the US there is such a thing as separation of church and state? In the past, Christians didn't seem to have a problem with giving Indians blankets infested with smallpox. What about the Spanish Conquistadors who wiped out almost an entire race of people searching for El Dorado, the City of Gold. Then there's my favorite: The KKK, devout Baptists, who thought nothing of lynching a black man. The are extremist in every religion. When pushed to far you push back.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 PM

73 posts, read 81,248 times
Anyone for either Islam or Christianity that kills like that is not a true believer in that religion. It is wrong on both sides and if you talk to someone who is truly dedicated to either faith you will find this out. Murder is wrong on both sides and thats what this was, cold blooded murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or