U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 AM

17,202 posts, read 13,755,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You want to go on a road trip to a beautiful resort area full of what you desire. You have several roads to choose from, one is filled with beautiful scenery and the gas prices are low. The only problem is the road goes to the national atomic waste disposal dump.

There is another road that has higher gas prices, not much in scenery and at times is difficult to follow but it is the quickest route to your
desired destination.

There is a third road that nobody knows the condition of or where it goes.

It is your choice to travel on which ever road you desire, but would you be able to make an informed choice if you did not know the end destination for your choice?

I personally know what road I want to travel on and that is my own choice. If some one wants to travel on another road and I am certain they do so with free choice and knowledge, I'll gladly give them the gas money if they need it.
Perhaps your use of analogy and metaphor is closely related to your passion for holy books? The question remains: why would anyone worship a deity that is into torture?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM

10,513 posts, read 10,336,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Perhaps your use of analogy and metaphor is closely related to your passion for holy books? The question remains: why would anyone worship a deity that is into torture?

Because that's all they were taught, if your taught nothing else, than you know of nothing else.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times
Quote:
I have never given much thought about hellfire, damnation or torture. While it does seem some Muslims of today have been taking lessons from the influx of hellfire and brimstone preachers into their countries. I do not think any person would ever revert to Islam out of fear and would choose to revert only because they love God(swt) and desire to worship properly.

The hellfire and brimstone preaching by some of today's Imams seem to be a bad habit learned from the Christian Evangelicals running around in the Mideast with their tent revivals and threats of damnation for us "heathens". Bad habits can be picked up by anybody.

I worship Allaah(swt) because I love him While I do know I will face punishment for doing wrong, I have difficulty in relating to that as I have no desire to do wrong. Perhaps if I was a young man with raging hormones I might need the reminder of punishment to give me incentive to keep from trying to satisfy my desires.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM

30,890 posts, read 31,788,057 times
Quote:
The hellfire and brimstone preaching by some of today's Imams seem to be a bad habit learned from the Christian Evangelicals running around in the Mideast with their tent revivals and threats of damnation for us "heathens". Bad habits can be picked up by anybody.
You have a bad habit of blaming others anytime someone is critical of your religion...Hell, fire and burning is sprinkled liberally in the Qur'an so no need to copy anyone.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You have a bad habit of blaming others anytime someone is critical of your religion...Hell, fire and burning is sprinkled liberally in the Qur'an so no need to copy anyone.
Yes it is well sprinkled throughout the Qur'an. but it was not what Imams dwelled on until recent times. In the Qur'an we need to see it as a warning to us believers and not as a fear tactic to harass or intimidate non-believers.

I was at one time one of those hellfire, brimstone preachers running around in the Mideast like a maniac trying to convert Muslims, and in some of today's Imams I often feel they copied what we were doing. During the 30 plus years between leaving Catholocism and embracing Islam, I was quite successful at being an Evangelical Fundementalist out to save the world. When I see the likes of Terry Jones I cringe as that is too close to what I was once like.

I am quite disappointed in some of today's Muftis, Mullahs and Imams as they seem to have adapted Christian Evangelical practices.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 07-03-2011 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You may know very traditional Jews. But there are other movements within Judaism.

As I am learning.

We have the same things happen in Islam. To some point a few of the movements have changed so far from Islam even Non-Muslims do not consider them Muslim such as the Sikh and Baha'i. Some others are also rapidly appearing to be less and less Muslim such as the NOI, Ahmadyyah, and Wahabbi.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:47 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,428,603 times
Quote:
As I am learning.

We have the same things happen in Islam. To some point a few of the movements have changed so far from Islam even Non-Muslims do not consider them Muslim such as the Sikh and Baha'i. Some others are also rapidly appearing to be less and less Muslim such as the NOI, Ahmadyyah, and Wahabbi.

Well all Jews are Jews.....

Sikhs were never muslims or even a part of Islam. http://www.sikhs.org/

Bahai's are not muslim either, they follow the prophet Bahá’u’lláh. http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahai_faith

Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well all Jews are Jews.....
Actually we have to accept every person who alledges to being Muslim as being Muslim. But that does not prevent nor stop us from pointing out when they do an unIslamic act.

We have no ceremony or ritual that makes a person Muslim. When a person declares himself to be Muslim, even if in private, we accept them at their word.

None of us know who really is a Muslim, that is only known to the individual and Allaah(swt). But we can see when a person is not following Islam. But even that may not mean they are not Muslim as they may be following Islam to the best of their ability.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,428,603 times
Quote:
Actually we have to accept every person who alledges to being Muslim as being Muslim. But that does not prevent nor stop us from pointing out when they do an unIslamic act.

We have no ceremony or ritual that makes a person Muslim. When a person declares himself to be Muslim, even if in private, we accept them at their word.

None of us know who really is a Muslim, that is only known to the individual and Allaah(swt). But we can see when a person is not following Islam. But even that may not mean they are not Muslim as they may be following Islam to the best of their ability.
All Jews are either Jews by birth or Jews by choice. There are different movements in Judaism. All are Jews.

We don't have the same issues Muslims and Christians have in a strict theology or emphasis on heaven/hell and getting it right so we can be saved.

Thus Jews are Jews.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,040,379 times
Quote:
because their's only one deity to be worshipped , we have no other choices , and that God promised whoever believed in him and worshipped him with eternal paradise and warned whoever denyed him with hellfire

whatever , we worshipped him because we think that he is the real God and we trusted in his promises and his warnning either

if you wanna to worship a creator of your own desire then imagine one in your mind and worship him or make a research about all relegions then choose the one wich is suitable for your needs , just be sure he is the real one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or