U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:39 AM

73 posts, read 81,228 times

Advertisements

Okay, of course everyone is aware that each of the major monotheistic religions have reasons as to why their religion is the best and everyone else is wrong, I am looking to go deeper than that. Also I mean no offense in asking these questions, my intentions are to look past my own ignorance and figure out the truth.

I have heard so many stereotypes about Islam, and have read/heard by word of mouth so many negative things about the religion and I want to know what is true and what isn't. Such a huge percentage of the world stakes their lives in this faith, and yet Christians and others claim so many flaws with this religion. As I have said before no matter what you say peace and love be with you, and hopefully someone can help me out here.

1. Is there writings of hate in the Qur'an towards the other religions? Or anything that says people from other religions should die? I've heard so and that doesn't sound good.

2. When you die are you promised 72 Virgins? If so, is this for a sexual reason (I can only assume it is)? It seems like Heaven is about Lust if this is the case.

3. Was Muhammad's Jihad on Mecca a righteous one? I have heard that he killed innocent people in the name of Islam and that his Jihad was not for the right reasons, but instead out of self-glorifying himself and becoming more powerful.

4. Are you compassionate towards non-believers, do you still love those that do not believe? Or do you cast them aside as hopeless and doomed?

I know there isn't very many questions here, but these are the areas I've heard alot of people talking negatively about and I figured that I might as well get it started.

If you have a question post it in this thread and hopefully we can get some people who are a part of the Islamic faith to answer and help us figure out the truth about this religion.

It may not be the faith that many of us want to believe in, and thats fine, but that doesn't mean we can't learn about it and figure out some more answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM

65 posts, read 84,127 times
Yes. It can. There are millions of people that believe if they get married in a temple, wear their magic underwear and be good people that they can have their own planets to make babies for all eternity....but we don't think mormonism is a valid religion, do we?

Your own religion calls the non-muslim an infidel, and commands them to be killed, doesn't it?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:12 PM

73 posts, read 81,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
Yes. It can. There are millions of people that believe if they get married in a temple, wear their magic underwear and be good people that they can have their own planets to make babies for all eternity....but we don't think mormonism is a valid religion, do we?

Your own religion calls the non-muslim an infidel, and commands them to be killed, doesn't it?
I don't know, I'm not a Muslim, thats why I made this thread. That is what I am trying to figure out, because if that is the case there is something definitely wrong with that.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,804,089 times
Quote:

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,293,312 times
I find it nearly axiomatic that if large numbers of people are doing a thing, it is almost certainly intellectually lacking.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:43 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,732,234 times
Quote:

This may be the most ignorant post I read all day.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:48 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,463,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
This may be the most ignorant post I read all day.
Well, consider the source. The nick they have chosen says it all.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,411,708 times
You simply need to take a weekend and read the Koran for yourself. You'll find that there are indeed quotations and commands from Allah in it that encourage killing any non-believers, or infidels. Just as one could find quotes and stories in the Juedo-Christian Old Testament that describes the killing of non-Jewish tribes and/or anyone who got managed to tick-off the spiteful, petty, jealous, vengeful diety known as Yahweh. (Indeed, is there a bloodier collection of stories anywhere than the Old Testament? It's filled with incest, patricide, genocide and infanticide!)
See what I mean? Many holy books went a bit too far in trying to get their point across, since they all are, after all, merely written by tribal, nomadic, largely illiterate poeples a long, long time ago. You have to realize they were just trying to descibe to the reader their IDEA about their versions of God. Don't throw your God-given brain away by believing that a God actually wrote them. Please.
Bottom line: read the Koran yourself and decide. I will say that I find their religion a whole lot less convoluted than fundamental Christianity: Islam has no absurdly-confusing Triune God, relying instead solely on Allah. And also, the Koran does not subject the poor reader to hundreds of inconsistencies about Muhammed like the Four Gospels does regarding Jesus. It's pretty straightforward.
One caveat about the Koran: the whole 72 virgin things has been shown by many Koran scholars to be a gross mis-translation, with the REAL prize being 72 white pearl onions!!
Talk about some disappointed suicide bombers! LOL.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM

9,603 posts, read 17,192,550 times
I have a personal theory about the world's religions: They all have a portion of the truth, but none of them have all of the truth.

I've not read the Koran, and probably should spend some time with it sometime, but I have been interested enough to read a book about the Sufis and some of the poetry of Rumi.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 PM

191 posts, read 214,814 times
Jesus is the only way to God in heaven..there is no other way...The devil is here to steal, kill and destroy..Jesus says believe in me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or