U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 AM

11 posts, read 22,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
A

>> Also [prohibited are] women already married,

except those [female war-prisoners] whom your right hands possess:

thus has God commanded you.

.[/color]

Quran Interpretation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM

310 posts, read 504,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ting ling View Post
It means that the 'religion of peace' allows Muslims to rape female prisoners of war with the blessing of allah (no praise be upon him).

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,038,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
That's fine. Still, I would really like to see the source citation for those statistics.
hi rayneinspain
if you wanna one then try this one , enjoy

Selected Research Results on Violence Against Women | National Institute of Justice

Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,184,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
hi rayneinspain
if you wanna one then try this one , enjoy

Selected Research Results on Violence Against Women | National Institute of Justice
I'd ask for accurate statistics from the Muslim world--Saudi, Iraq, Iran, et al--except we all know how few crimes against women and children are a) reported and b) believed.

Enjoy.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,162,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ting ling View Post
"Shakir: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."

So the "those who might desert" actually refers back to the men who are supposed to be supporting a woman in the style to which she has become accustomed but are thinking about deserting her. If he's not doing his job then the woman should let him know he's screwing up. If that doesn't wake him up, "withhold" from him for a few months ... that ought to do the trick. And if he's still too stupid to figure out that he's not holding up his end of the marriage bargain, then it's time to beat some sense into him. If the beating works and he straightens up his act, then don't hold a grudge against him, just understand he's a poor ignorant ****** doing the best he can.

Of course, I think that's a pretty barbaric way to view marriage and the male gender in general. They should be given equality with women and not be subjected to abuse. Tsk.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:54 PM

217 posts, read 611,325 times
first off that translation of the quran was so in accurate, i dont even need to answer the question, its obvious this is propaganda..

Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,038,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I'd ask for accurate statistics from the Muslim world--Saudi, Iraq, Iran, et al--except we all know how few crimes against women and children are a) reported and b) believed.

Enjoy.
you give me nothing to enjoy with .

it's not my way in argument to accusing other communities , i just gives it to you because you wanted it

i tried my best to show you how far we respect our women , and i dd my best to show you the benefits of existence leader for the family .

anyway , i don't think that we differ alot about the importance of women in societies , but the problem is that you wanna to imagine specific situations

the responsibilities are distibuted upon the male and female for the best to children and families as whole
the problem is that you focus on one asbect " the obdience of wife " while in the other hand the husband is responsible either to treat her gently which means that obdience of wife dosn't means violence from husband , the balanced laws are established but you explore the case from one side

Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,184,041 times
Quote:

it's not my way in argument to accusing other communities , i just gives it to you because you wanted it

i tried my best to show you how far we respect our women , and i dd my best to show you the benefits of existence leader for the family .

anyway , i don't think that we differ alot about the importance of women in societies , but the problem is that you wanna to imagine specific situations

the responsibilities are distibuted upon the male and female for the best to children and families as whole
the problem is that you focus on one asbect " the obdience of wife " while in the other hand the husband is responsible either to treat her gently which means that obdience of wife dosn't means violence from husband , the balanced laws are established but you explore the case from one side
Hold the phone.

Thread began as a discussion about if/how the Quran promotes and/or encourages beating the wife in marriage. MUSLIM marriage.

Then, out of the blue, a very poor defensive tactic was utilized wherein you produced some off-the-wall domestic violence statistics relating to the Western world. Then, another poster comes up with the gem that Muslim women are evil, rude, and vile...in other words, that they deserve to be dominated/beaten if I caught the gist of his post.

My point, whether you acknowledge it or not, is that domestic violence greatly exceeds the statistical reporting in the Muslim world. In other words, the Western world does not have a monopoly on domestic violence.

But a huge difference does exist: we strive to keep the subject open and encourage any victims to come forward and report it. We then go the extra mile and offer them support....NOT villification or further abuse.

With all of the violence in this world, Muslim or Western, why would anyone encourage more of it?

We don't take kindly to women and children being victims under any circumstances (beatings, stonings, rape, molestation).

We also don't pretend it doesn't exist or that head/body covering or 'man as leader' will prevent it.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:19 PM

21,366 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Quote:

I guess someone raised in the Muslim world can hardly escape the mindset that is imprinted on them from birth on. The mere assumption that a woman has to be more obedient than a man, that a man is in any way above a woman, that his opinion and word way any more than hers, etc. contradicts our Western ideals. If a Muslim husband treats his wife well, fine. But that should be the standard regardless of any religion, the woman has just the same right not to be hurt as the man. It is not a noble or generous gesture on the part of the husband to threat his wife well. I don't like the notion that Muslim husbands have to threat their wives well because that is what their god tells them to do. And that they are allowed not to treat them well for whatever reason mentioned in the Koran or wherever.
I guess part of the problem in the Muslim world, just like in the Hindu world, is that many marriages are not based on love, not even on being in love. I assume that lowers the threshold of violence whenever there are differences between the couple.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,053,174 times
if man can beat wo==man, than wo==man should be able to beat man==wo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam