U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 AM
 
11 posts, read 22,217 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
SHAKIR,4:43: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.
CRCC: Center For Muslim-Jewish Engagement: Resources: Religious Texts

why GOD/ALLAH say so ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,718,364 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ting ling View Post
CRCC: Center For Muslim-Jewish Engagement: Resources: Religious Texts

SHAKIR,4:43: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

why GOD/ALLAH say so ??
Here in Texas that stuff would never fly. I heard of one wife out here in red-neck land who (after a beating) took a shotgun and blasted her husbands private parts clean off.

Any
man who beats his wife is a damned pathetic insecure coward. The way I was raised - men don't hit women, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,901,482 times
Reputation: 701
Don't forget that the bible is just as bad! Maybe worse! Kill your kids if they are unruly....nice huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,718,364 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Don't forget that the bible is just as bad! Maybe worse! Kill your kids if they are unruly....nice huh.
Funny how that works, eh? Ancient cultures really sucked in a variety of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,901,482 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Funny how that works, eh? Ancient cultures really sucked in a variety of ways.

Yeah...sucked! But let's not forget that god NEVER changes. It would stand to reason (oops...there's that word again!) that since god never changes he never changes his mind so that law still stands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: south saudi
169 posts, read 314,921 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ting ling View Post


These are among the verses that did not understand it the West and non-Muslims ...


It's okay to ask because a lot of people (even some Muslims) get confused about this verse. The translation of the verse says that the men can "beat," "lightly tap," and sometimes says "spank." However it isn't nearly what it seems. There is a Hadith (teaching of the Prophet Muhammad -saws) that states this "beating" must be with a small twig called a miswak. Miswak is a small stick used for cleaning the teeth and is about the size of a toothbrush. Also, this "beating" is not allowed to occur on the face, and it cannot leave the slightest mark. Basically, as you can imagine, it's like your husband taking a toothbrush and tapping your arm and saying "there!" Lol!
In addition, there are more Hadith that declare appreciation for women. In one, the Prophet (saws) says that the best of the believers (in Islam) are those who are best to their wives. In another, he (saws) pretty much describes those who mistreat their women are scum. I don't remember the exact words, but I'll do a quick search to find it.


“The most perfect believer in the matter of faith is one who has excellent behavior; and the best among you are those who behave best towards their wives.”


jmoool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: south saudi
169 posts, read 314,921 times
Reputation: 30
[LEFT]Generally, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to discourage his followers from taking even this measure. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?” (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43)


[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,020 posts, read 25,549,557 times
Reputation: 11309
Is spanking considered beating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 17,014,873 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Is spanking considered beating
Depends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 3,369,737 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmooool View Post
These are among the verses that did not understand it the West and non-Muslims ...


It's okay to ask because a lot of people (even some Muslims) get confused about this verse. The translation of the verse says that the men can "beat," "lightly tap," and sometimes says "spank." However it isn't nearly what it seems. There is a Hadith (teaching of the Prophet Muhammad -saws) that states this "beating" must be with a small twig called a miswak. Miswak is a small stick used for cleaning the teeth and is about the size of a toothbrush. Also, this "beating" is not allowed to occur on the face, and it cannot leave the slightest mark. Basically, as you can imagine, it's like your husband taking a toothbrush and tapping your arm and saying "there!" Lol!
In addition, there are more Hadith that declare appreciation for women. In one, the Prophet (saws) says that the best of the believers (in Islam) are those who are best to their wives. In another, he (saws) pretty much describes those who mistreat their women are scum. I don't remember the exact words, but I'll do a quick search to find it.


“The most perfect believer in the matter of faith is one who has excellent behavior; and the best among you are those who behave best towards their wives.”


jmoool
So, since , as you say men and women are equal under Islam, then the wife can take the 'toothbrush' and tap her husband for his misdeeds?

Probably not, as the men are the most important partner in Islam? Women, are as property to muslim men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top