U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM

10,017 posts, read 17,017,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You mean we're not all satan worshipping, baby roasting, cursing, boozing, drug addled , abortion procuring, selfish sex fiends ? Well I have learnt something about myself today .
Surprise!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 PM

30,876 posts, read 31,757,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Us NON believers help out as well.
Big time!...I think the first help to arrive in numbers was from China....You know karma...They got lots of help with their quake a couple of years ago....I believe slowly this world is becoming a better place...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM

31,359 posts, read 19,616,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Or Budhist and Hindu organaizations??

We Christians get picked on by unbelievers all the time. But when stuff like this happens it's Christians carrying the love of Christ to the people in need.

Are there any Muslim relief efforts out there?? I really want to know....

In my area, there was some pretty bad flooding in 2007. These people I know lost their home and everything in it. Insurance covered nothing.

They belonged to a Christian church which collected a total of $200 for them. However, the Buddhists in the area gave them over $15,000! They did not even know these Buddhists and the Buddhists did not attempt to convert them.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,783,614 times
Quote:

We Christians get picked on by unbelievers all the time. But when stuff like this happens it's Christians carrying the love of Christ to the people in need.

So much wrong with this.

For starters, have you any idea how Haiti became as poor of a country as they are? Sure, internal corruption and... wait for it, wait for it, outside influence. Do you know who's outside influence? I bet you'll be able to guess.

Hint: It's a large Christian nation... it sits in the Western Hemisphere... don't be silly, you can do it!

How much do you need to donate monetarily to remove the guilt or to break even?

Secondly, political/military history aside, how do you know what anyone else has given? Ever heard not to let your left hand know what your right hand is doing? Don't be boastful, silly.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 PM

30,876 posts, read 31,757,930 times
Quote:

The love of Christ?....Well, I must say I haven't seen a whole lot of that here today. It's been rather the opposite.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,902,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The love of Christ?....Well, I must say I haven't seen a whole lot of that here today. It's been rather the opposite.

"OH For The Love of Christ!".... Who cares where the help comes from as long as it comes?!

Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,799,854 times
Quote:

The sentiments of your post are a prime example of why Christians are given such a hard time by some folks.

Qatar Charity (http://www.qcharity.org/english/Bakstan/Details.aspx?Id=146 - broken link)

Qatar Charity (QC) is a non-government organisation which was established in 1992 in order to support the Qatari society and other needy communities abroad. Its mission is to support the abilities of the most needy groups to fulfil human dignity and social justice in cooperation with partners. Its vision is to be an example, a pioneering, distinguished Islamic institution which combines originality, creativity and professionalism in the field of humanitarian aid and development.

QC is one of the largest charities in the Gulf, its activities covering more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, through its registered field offices in various countries or local civil societies as implementing partners. QC is registered in Qatar and governed by law No (2) of 1974, which is amended by decree-law No (17) 1989, and law No (8) of 1998, which regulates work of private societies and foundations. QC has been in consultative status with UN ECOSOC since 1997.

Gulf Times – Qatar’s top-selling English daily newspaper - First Page (http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=337312&version=1&templ ate_id=57&parent_id=56 - broken link)

Qatar yesterday sent a strategic transport aircraft (C-17) to Haiti’s capital Port-au-Prince, loaded with 50tonnes of urgent relief materials to those affected in the quake-hit country.

In a statement to Qatar News Agency, the chairman of the Qatari rescue team Captain Mubarak Sherida al-Kaabi said: “The emergency assistance to the friendly Haitian people came under the directives of the High Command in Qatar as part of its continuous efforts to provide shelter, clothing, food and medicine to the needy and those affected by natural disasters in friendly countries.”

Old 01-17-2010, 06:56 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,876,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The sentiments of your post are a prime example of why Christians are given such a hard time by some folks.

Qatar Charity (http://www.qcharity.org/english/Bakstan/Details.aspx?Id=146 - broken link)

Qatar Charity (QC) is a non-government organisation which was established in 1992 in order to support the Qatari society and other needy communities abroad. Its mission is to support the abilities of the most needy groups to fulfil human dignity and social justice in cooperation with partners. Its vision is to be an example, a pioneering, distinguished Islamic institution which combines originality, creativity and professionalism in the field of humanitarian aid and development.

QC is one of the largest charities in the Gulf, its activities covering more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, through its registered field offices in various countries or local civil societies as implementing partners. QC is registered in Qatar and governed by law No (2) of 1974, which is amended by decree-law No (17) 1989, and law No (8) of 1998, which regulates work of private societies and foundations. QC has been in consultative status with UN ECOSOC since 1997.

I am going to do some research on Quatar Charity. My initial impression from their website is that they mainly proselytize (promote Islam) and "help their own" (offer aid to predominantly Muslim countries). From their own website:

In fact, Q.C. has carried out big relief programs in Palestine, Sudan, Bosnia, Indonesia, Kosofa, Chechnya, Somalia, and Afghanistan.

Qatar Charity (http://www.qcharity.org/english/Projects/women_child/out_qatar/index.html - broken link)

I stress, however, that this is only my initial impression of their activities.

I had a colleague who worked in Qatar in the 90's, and he told me Christians had to practice their faith in secret or risk persecution by the Qatari government; he met in the basement of a hotel for Sunday Mass.

Apparently this is changing for the better:

Qatar: Religious Freedom Gains New Foothold | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,990,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I am going to do some research on Quatar Charity. My initial impression from their website is that they mainly proselytize (promote Islam) and "help their own" (offer aid to predominantly Muslim countries). From their own website:

In fact, Q.C. has carried out big relief programs in Palestine, Sudan, Bosnia, Indonesia, Kosofa, Chechnya, Somalia, and Afghanistan.

Qatar Charity (http://www.qcharity.org/english/Projects/women_child/out_qatar/index.html - broken link)

I stress, however, that this is only my initial impression of their activities.

I had a colleague who worked in Qatar in the 90's, and he told me Christians had to practice their faith in secret or risk persecution by the Qatari government; he met in the basement of a hotel for Sunday Mass.

Apparently this is changing for the better:

Qatar: Religious Freedom Gains New Foothold | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
I bet you certainly wouldn't have a problem with a Christian charity proselytizing or 'helping their own', though, would you?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,876,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I bet you certainly wouldn't have a problem with a Christian charity proselytizing or 'helping their own', though, would you?
If a "Christian charity" exclusively directed their efforts at "Christians" who were suffering at the exclusion of other needy individuals, most likely I certainly WOULD have a "problem" with it. If you have an example of such a charity, please provide and I will give you my honest feedback.

Last edited by DreamingSpires; 01-17-2010 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam