U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM

56,075 posts, read 54,565,498 times

Advertisements

[quote=rxpwas;12504842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've heard of the Red Crescent for many years, and I'm from the countryside in Ky., for heaven's sakes. Several fellow health professionals in my area are Muslims, as well as acquaintances from college that date back to the late 70's/early 80's. God Bless them as well, an though I'm not Muslim, I have a lot of respect for the Red Crescent and the relief work they do. By the way, when I was in college, the term "Moslem" was heard more than "Muslim", is this simply a different was of spelling it/saying it, or is there another reason behind the spelling change (I know translating from Arabic to English or any language to any other language for that matter can be difficult .. sometimes I also hear people say "Mooslem"). Just a country boy from Ky. wondering. Peace, and have a great day!
No, when I was a kid (60's to 70's) the pronounciation and spelling was Moslem. And that was in New Jersey. The Muslims at work do mostly pronounce it more like Mooslem. I guess they'd know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM

688 posts, read 1,291,006 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;12506333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post

No, when I was a kid (60's to 70's) the pronounciation and spelling was Moslem. And that was in New Jersey. The Muslims at work do mostly pronounce it more like Mooslem. I guess they'd know.
thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM

598 posts, read 829,885 times
There are lots of atheist relief efforts: people providing helps under the name of nothing more than humanity.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 970 times
Even the poor people of gaza has offered aid. Amazing when it is considered thepoorest per capital in the world. 1.7 million live on less then$1 a day and they gave. By the way they were Muslim. Also ifyou check out your history books you will find most of the people of Haiti are related to slaves that were forced to leave Islam while catering to there Christian masters. Kind of ironic the abuser is calling foul?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 909 times
Since over crowding and poverty result from following ( so called ) religious teachings, it's understandable how a guilty conscience would create a competition for who is the most charitable. May the most misguided win .

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM

586 posts, read 1,718,869 times
Really??? Why are you even here? Go back under the rock you crawled out from under. (Not in the mood after a really tough day! And yes, I'm even a Pastor! and human at that! lol)

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,372,762 times
Default Give till it hurts!

I've skipped to the end of this thread, but just FYI, our family always contributes to specific aid efforts (Katrina, the Asian tsunami, Haiti) through the Red Cross, online. I'm not always completely confident that the money goes to the right places with other organizations (given some of the revelations in the past...) but I do trust the Red Cross. So far. In addition, they don't ever proselytize as they hand some kid a sandwich.

Just FYI; I'm a confirmed militant, uncaring, baby-roasting, ethically bereft and morally-rudderless atheist.

Wonder what went wrong, huh????

Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Me too!....The Red Cross is my charity of choice.

Quote:
I'm a confirmed militant, uncaring, baby-roasting, ethically bereft and morally-rudderless atheist.
You forgot to mention self deprecating....

Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,982,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Or Budhist and Hindu organaizations??

We Christians get picked on by unbelievers all the time. But when stuff like this happens it's Christians carrying the love of Christ to the people in need.

Are there any Muslim relief efforts out there?? I really want to know....
woaw-thats a dig-left hook to the jaw bone

statements like that is the reason you's get picked on.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 1,549 times
While watching the start of the London Marathon, it was plainly obvios, that at least 99.9%, of runners, competing for charity, were white. Why is this, and could anyone, please name the muslims, running for a charity, that benefits everyone?
I'd really like to know why this is, as the black runners who won, were there for themselves, and the big money.
Does this really say, that whites are the race, of human love. It does make you wonder, if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam