Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times

Advertisements

Or Budhist and Hindu organaizations??

We Christians get picked on by unbelievers all the time. But when stuff like this happens it's Christians carrying the love of Christ to the people in need.

Are there any Muslim relief efforts out there?? I really want to know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
When Katrina struck plenty of Muslim countries offered money and Aid ( all of it was turned down and not publicised - even Afghanistan did) . Aid which would have helped with the relief of Katrina's victims and the reconstruction of the affected area.

So yes I suspect plenty of Muslim ( Hindu etc..) countries will now still be offering Aid to Haiti.

Never assume anything unless you actually know the facts. Don't believe everything you think. It's unbecoming and dangerous.

Muslim countries were also very generous when the terrible Tsunami hit 3 years ago. If you knew anything about Islam , you would know that actually Charity is a huge part of the Religion . Simply because your news sources /government don't tell you about doesn't mean it's not happening.

International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Katrina Aid From Overseas Went Unclaimed - washingtonpost.com

Christians do not have the monopoly on charity, kindness or generosity of spirit as odd and alien a concept as this may seem to you.

To begin with :

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/pda/news.php?article=17389

http://en.trend.az/news/islam/1618231.html

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 01-14-2010 at 05:56 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
.........Aid which would have helped with the relief of Katrina's victims and the reconstruction of the affected area................
The tragedy in NOLA wasn't one of a lack of aid, but a lack of competent emergency management..........

I do know that most, if not all, of the Jordanian UN forces there were killed. I am sure you will see substantial aid coming in from the good Muslim states......yes, there are some trying to move out of the middle ages.........Turkey and Indonesia to name just two.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
[quote=citizenkane2;12439232]Or Budhist and Hindu organaizations??

We Christians get picked on by unbelievers all the time. But when stuff like this happens it's Christians carrying the love of Christ to the people in need.

Imo questions like this are just one of the reasons Christians are seen in a questionable light. You seem to think you are the only group who gives to those in need.

Why don't you just give and not worry about whether others are giving or not? Christians are not the only religion to give and yes Muslims give much for disaster relief.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,223 times
I thought arrogance, pride, and superiority complexes were looked down upon by "The Good Book"? If not, it should be, as such behavior is horribly unbecoming. Christians certainly do not hold a monopoly on charitable efforts.

Either way, Islamic Relief USA - America's largest Muslim relief organization - has pledged $1 million dollars in aid for Haiti.

As for being heckled by unbelievers, even they are doing their part. The Jolie-Pitts (They're atheists, by the way) foundation donated $1 million to Doctors Without Borders (a secular organization! gasp!) to help with relief, as well.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
The tragedy in NOLA wasn't one of a lack of aid, but a lack of competent emergency management..........

I do know that most, if not all, of the Jordanian UN forces there were killed. I am sure you will see substantial aid coming in from the good Muslim states......yes, there are some trying to move out of the middle ages.........Turkey and Indonesia to name just two.

I'm sure you're right but the point is that Aid came from all quarters including the most of unlikely places.

Competency and political will was certainly the biggest problem with dealing with the aftermath of Katrina but surely this unclaimed Aid given generously by other nations could still have helped , money for example for reconstruction. Aid was not donated with ties but simply to help and should IMO have been gratefully accepted and utilised wherever it came from. Social deprivation and various social issues could have been alleviated after reconstruction in some way with some of this money.

I also find it sad that it was never really publicised and that many Americans erroneously think nobody ever helps them when they feel they always help the world. It leads to some rather dangerous isolationist and jingoistic attitudes in my humble opinion.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned post

I didnt post this..... Citizencane2 did....
Originally Posted by Jazzymom

I posted this: Imo questions like this are just one of the reasons Christians are seen in a questionable light. You seem to think you are the only group who gives to those in need.

Why don't you just give and not worry about whether others are giving or not? Christians are not the only religion to give and yes Muslims give much for disaster relief.

[+] Rate this post positively

Last edited by june 7th; 01-14-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM

217 posts, read 692,883 times
because as muslims we are taught to give in private as well as in public...muslim countires offer relief to many different diasters and hunger program...ofcourse your not going to hear about all publisized on tv, because this is doaminantly a chiristian country..but just because were not on tv everywhere talking about reliefs efforts they are are going on..i personally know a few mainly african american masjiids that plan on going down there to help out...

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Or Budhist and Hindu organaizations??

Us NON believers help out as well.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Us NON believers help out as well.
You mean we're not all satan worshipping, baby roasting, cursing, boozing, drug addled , abortion procuring, selfish sex fiends ? Well I have learnt something about myself today .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam