U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,291,796 times
Reputation: 1978

Advertisements

So, you don't acknowledge there's a problem and assume it is a flaw in our understanding that makes some Muslims blow people up?

And we're back at the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 3,019,486 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
To be perfectly honest, the peaceful Muslims are not doing a good job stopping the violent ones.

I have no problem with many Muslims. They are intelligent, peaceful, polite, and pleasant to be around. My daughter's teacher is a practicing Muslim, and we like her greatly and never in the past two years has she tried to convert anyone, or even spoken openly of her beliefs. She is very respectful of other people and all of the different beliefs they hold.

But Islam as a whole has a serious problem. Muslims all over the world must try to stop these violent people that are destroying your reputation and fostering hatred.

We can only defend ourselves. You have to stop the problem at it's source.
I think you have precisely captured the essence of the concerns many Americans are feeling about Islam, and the way to alleviate them.

If Islam is truly a religion of peace and respect for all humankind, as some Muslims preach or infer, then the majority who are not all out to KILL American men, women, and children and radically change our laws and lifestyle need to boldly and forcefully speak out against that terrorist minority in their midst that they say is not representative of their beliefs.

Then, and only then, can Muslims gain a valid element of legitimacy in our society, and possibly an abundance of new peace loving converts if that is what they are seeking. If they continue to keep silence about the terrorists who kill and do harm to us and try to destroy our American lifestyle, then we reasonably will not only defend ourselves with force, we will continue to think that all Muslims are complicit with terrorists.

I invite peace loving Muslims everywhere to do everything they can to speak out powerfully and unitedly against those in their midst who cowardly murder and maim the innocent in the name of their god and religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,374,932 times
Reputation: 3735
Default Islamic controversies and contradictions abound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMOK View Post
Why all the hatred against Islam? We have the miracle world

Meaning what, precisely? "the miracle world"? Are you a paid politico?

and we are a developing country because of the children and young people who you are Thakd them and thank God that will save us and make us of the oil-rich states.

Actually, your current and very transient economic status, characterized by excessive fiscal squandering instead of careful long-term planning, is a prime example of a vastly uneducated response to too much money, too fast. The Russians and Chinese happily sell you military equipment only because they need money, not because you have some great ideology.

Since your political leaders choose to constantly demonize the West and attack us with cowardly terrorism, we're in the process of changing, forever, our dependence on your fossil fuels. Perhaps not in the immediate future, but soon enough.

Then, when you have nothing left to sell us, you will have to face up to reality. You will have spent all your monies on ego-driven monuments and palaces, and tanks and missles, and spent nothing on advancing the common man.

http://yoism.reality-movement.org/im...travagance.gif (run the slide show for more...)

or...

http://www.reasonpad.com/wp-content/...tes-Palace.jpg

versus...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ghmZMhXpoh...cal_419656.jpg

or.. the World Poverty Map (blue is worst...)

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/im...ta-esquire.jpg


Notice the Middle East here. (An accurate observation: This map of poverty overlays a map of Islam's influence very well: poverty means lack of education equals Islam.)

In the future, you'll have to fend for yourselves, and you will have brought it on yourselves. You'd better start now with future cultural planning, instead of designing and constructing "nuc" bombs, for the realities of the future. Who will you demonize when we are gone? I know: Israel......


Thank God I do not deny poor adherence to Islam in some Muslim societies, if you like Read the miracles of the apostle you will see something strange sad that many of the converted to Islam that you will say to you know something about Islam and this is something very sad and I saw with my own eyes
</SPAN>
There are many alternatives to Islam, but perhaps not in your eyes. You'll have to come to terms with that in the next few generations. So far, Islam has not provided a very wholesome and loving example. Rather, we're treated to videos of innocent women being flogged because they were raped, while the perpetrators are congratulated. We witnessed you dancing in the streets when your cowards knocked down towers full on innocent people. You think that act equals fierce heroism?

We see innocent children being taught to loath the West, their teachers purposefully choosing to not see past our political leaders. You say Ahmajinedad is a bad example of Islam and should therefore be ignored, but then you burn effigies of George W. Bush and proclaim that
all Americans or Westerners are identical to him.

Were the innocent women and men and children in the Twin Towers
identical, evil Western conspirators? How about my friend's cousin who was visiting New york for the first time, visiting her friend on the 19th floor? What was her transgression?

Why can't Muslims have the courage to stand up as individuals when their leaders hide in Iran and criticize and threaten all of America and the West? Why do you greedily take our US $$$? Why do you buy so many Toyotas, Cadillac Escalades and iPods? Why don't local Muslims turn in those within their group who conspire for acts of terror? It does not present very convincing evidence for your so-called advanced scientific, logical and compassionate personalities or beliefs, now does it?

Your combative leaders have made selling Islam quite a problem for you, haven't they? Notice what's happening in Switzerland, Holland and France? Your antisocial behavior has resulted in the banning of any new minarets, of immigration being denied to Muslims in the future, and of new laws limiting the invasion of your religious practices on the established cultures of those countries.

Quite the record of peaceful progress, I'd say....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
 
13 posts, read 25,165 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
A religion is not for the few. If it doesn't reach the many, then there is something wrong. Either it's too complicated, too hard to explain, or just plain wrong. I think the teachers have had plenty of time to tweak their message and get it right. And yet, society in those places are still basket cases. So I have to conclude that there is no way to get it right because it is false. Enough said.
OK. Agreed. But you do agree that there are Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims that are much better than Christians. And if these people can become better even though they belong to inferior religions then they should in fact be really far superior to Christians. Do you agree?

To tell you the truth I don't. I believe that religion is really only there to guide you and it all depends on the individual person what he makes of the teachings and how he uses those teachings to change his life. Had you been born into Islam, you perhaps today would have believed that Islam is the best religion there is and all other religions are at most mediocre by comparison.

Quote:
Why can't Muslims have the courage to stand up as individuals when their leaders hide in Iran and criticize and threaten all of America and the West?
I actually went up to a Muslim and asked him that once. Why are the Muslims quiet. He had no answer. Just a simple "Whatever" sort of reaction.

But I think the answer is actually pretty simple. Who doesn't like attention? Every time we see a Muslim we are reminded of all the bad things these guys have done and then here is a Muslim claiming to be a good person who believes that his religion is very peaceful and in fact the best religion there is. This is a very psychological sort of situation. They're deep inside looking for perhaps trouble, perhaps argument, or perhaps more attention. It's cool to be a Muslim because this way they're really making them self stand out.

I doubt we'll ever see Muslims stand up to the terrorism being spread on the name of their religion. Even if most Muslims are just normal people with normal lives they somewhere deep down appear to agree that any mean to convert a person to Islam are justified. I'm not sure if this is something built into the religion or if over time people have been brainwashed to believe so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
 
27 posts, read 45,782 times
Reputation: 11
Peace to all of you
Why the attack on Islam??
Is a revealed religion like other religions and the Koran, such as the Bible and the Torah???
Mohamed such as Jesus and Moses and other prophets of human beings.
Why make Islam a terrorist. What do the Jews in Palestine and America in Iraq. Why it's called Is it fair???
Found that some abuse of Muslims is not from the Koran and not of God. But of themselves bad.
Who wants to convert to Islam will Ingz the same fire and did not want it is not obliged to do so.
Will we meet all of us before God in heaven and we know of in Paradise and in Hell. The argument has you today and every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,374,932 times
Reputation: 3735
Default Simply put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOON99 View Post
Peace to all of you
Why the attack on Islam??
Is a revealed religion like other religions and the Koran, such as the Bible and the Torah???
Mohamed such as Jesus and Moses and other prophets of human beings.
Why make Islam a terrorist. What do the Jews in Palestine and America in Iraq. Why it's called Is it fair???
Found that some abuse of Muslims is not from the Koran and not of God. But of themselves bad.
Who wants to convert to Islam will Ingz the same fire and did not want it is not obliged to do so.
Will we meet all of us before God in heaven and we know of in Paradise and in Hell. The argument has you today and every day.
Sorry; your response is very hard to understand, but I"m sure your'e saying "why do you attack us?".

Apparently you did not read my post. Perhaps you have troubles reading and understanding English; I understand. But if you'll just answer the questions in my post, we can all better understand your chosen religion.

In a nutshell (or: simply put...):

Just as the West has come to represent greed, arrogance, imperialism and excessive consumption to Muslims, Islam has come to represent fanatical terrorism run wild, with no concern for innocent victims. It also represents ancient male-chauvinistic (look this one up please) arrogance and a congregation that is completely and blindly obedient to tyrant leaders.

Prove us wrong.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,333 posts, read 2,508,683 times
Reputation: 258
Dear Rifleman,

Should we be re-educated to do this better in the West? But that is what we wish to achieve in Afghanistan.


Thank you, good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,909,524 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOON99 View Post
.Why make Islam a terrorist.
We don't. Muslims do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 3,372,132 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMOK View Post
5 ا style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ebeff9" closure_hashCode_uz6tzx="296">Do not talk to me about the countries seem perverted the teachings of Islam and may not do I speak for the States that believe in the Koran book house of God and Muhammad peace be upon him is the messenger of God who told him Jesus was either who they claim Islam is innocent of all votes anything about them And I hope that you will be attuned</SPAN>
Shamok,
I am afraid you need to slow down and try to produce an intelligent post that we can all understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,891,005 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Islam preserved a great deal of Greek knowledge. It brought literacy to much of Africa. The Islamic world also provided a valuable conduit between the West and the East. Hindu and Chinese knowledge reached the West largely due to Islam.

I'm not sure if Islam has done much to make the world better since the sixteenth century. Still Islamic movements did increase literacy and in some cases encourage non-violent roads to independence in parts of West Africa in the twentieth century. Islam also led Malcolm X to reject racism. (Yes he was racist due to NoI, but NoI is kind of a quasi-Muslim religion)

Zai Jian!
+ 23094283042830492384 words to spanish, english, french, portuguese etc
+ architecture
+ helping usher in the enlightenment in europe
+ contributions to astronomy, mathematics, chemistry, physics, medicine, music,

just some of the contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top