Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
To be perfectly honest, the peaceful Muslims are not doing a good job stopping the violent ones.

Muslims all over the world must try to stop these violent people that are destroying your reputation and fostering hatred.

We can only defend ourselves. You have to stop the problem at it's source.
this is ridiculous. what do you want them to do? go to training centers or recruitment places and tell them to stop?
"hey guys- knock it off."
???
we can't make our elected government officials do anything, how do you expect them to stop people who are hiding in some desolate area cut off from the rest of society? via text message? these are fanatics, u say or do anything to make them stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
this is ridiculous. what do you want them to do? go to training centers or recruitment places and tell them to stop?
"hey guys- knock it off."
???
we can't make our elected government officials do anything, how do you expect them to stop people who are hiding in some desolate area cut off from the rest of society? via text message? these are fanatics, u say or do anything to make them stop
I expect you to teach your children to be peaceful. Teach them that what these people do is wrong. Refuse to support these people by boycotting their methods of getting money and recruits. Shun those who shelter them, do business with them, and enable them. Publicly scream, yell and throw a fit at your elected officials until they do something. Don't let them in your town or village. Don't trade with them. Openly support those who oppose them, and I'm not talking about troops, but neighbors and businesses.

Make your entire culture one where terrorism is not acceptable and terrorists no accepted.

Peace requires vigilant work.

And I will be the first to say that Americans need to practice this too.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,373,946 times
Quote:
I expect you to teach your children to be peaceful. Teach them that what these people do is wrong. Refuse to support these people by boycotting their methods of getting money and recruits. Shun those who shelter them, do business with them, and enable them. Publicly scream, yell and throw a fit at your elected officials until they do something. Don't let them in your town or village. Don't trade with them. Openly support those who oppose them, and I'm not talking about troops, but neighbors and businesses.

Make your entire culture one where terrorism is not acceptable and terrorists no accepted.

Exactly! Excellent post.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,202 times
Quote:

you can help us by encourage muslims to study thier religion and follow it's teaching instead of bashing entire religion and insulting entire muslims

as you said : Peace requires vigilant work

if some muslims says that islam is peacfull relegion then help them , be in their side , spread their thoughts even if you think that the true relegion is evil (bashing the religion wasn't never a step toward peace )

you need to practice your own statment
Peace requires vigilant work

Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,975,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
you can help us by encourage muslims to study thier religion and follow it's teaching instead of bashing entire religion and insulting entire muslims
do you teach MY kids to study MY faith? nope you tell them to learn YOUR faith. so that job is yours. If I teach your kids anything it will be that mohammed is a phoney, a pedophile, and a cowardly murderer....... people who study your religion are the ones strapping bombs on thier backs, in their shoes, or in their underwear. You can start by teaching your kids to accept other people as equals, regardless of their faith. Muslims can start by telling those who preach hate to leave your communities and your mosques. If they don't leave, arrest them, incarcerate them, ostracize them. Quit making hero's of them. tell your kids what they are....cowards not fit to sit at the table of civilized people. When they get that message, and it becomes the standard in your communities,Islam MAY regain the respect it once had around the world.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 02-13-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
do you teach MY kids to study MY faith? nope you tell them to learn YOUR faith. so that job is yours. If I teach your kids anything it will be that mohammed is a phoney, a pedophile, and a cowardly murderer....... people who study your religion are the ones strapping bombs on thier backs, in their shoes, or in their underwear. You can start by teaching your kids to accept other people as equals, regardless of their faith. Muslims can start by telling those who preach hate to leave your communities and your mosques. If they don't leave, arrest them, incarcerate them, ostracize them. Quit making hero's of them. tell your kids what they are....cowards not fit to sit at the table of civilized people. When they get that message, and it becomes the standard in your communities,Islam MAY regain the respect it once had around the world.
actually , i'm someone studying my relegion though i never strapped bobms on my back before

do you think that muslims may hate their relegion and disbelieve in it just because some groups in unstable area are strapping bombs on thier backs ?

may be i have to ask how many of christians disbelieved in thier relegion just because some priests molested children somewhere in the world then !

Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post

as you said : Peace requires vigilant work

if some muslims says that islam is peacfull relegion then help them , be in their side , spread their thoughts even if you think that the true relegion is evil (bashing the religion wasn't never a step toward peace )

you need to practice your own statment
Peace requires vigilant work
I do teach my children to be peaceful. I teach them to respect people of *any* religion and to resolve differences peacefully. And remember back earlier in the thread, my daughter's teacher is a Muslim. I think that's pretty peaceful and tolerant of me, don't you?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:

yes because this works for other religions and cultures right... it definitely worked for that harvard trained doctor and professor at the University of Alabama a day or so ago that shot 3 people just because she wasnt given tenure.
where did WE as a society fail her? if you want to get more specific, where did the white members of society go wrong? why didnt they stop her? why didn't they lock her up when they had the chance? why did they give her a job?

u see how ridiculous this becomes.. there are over a billion muslims in the world, what percentage of them are terrorists? what can a muslim living in.. denver.. do about some lunatic living in the philippines or in afghanistan?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
yes because this works for other religions and cultures right... it definitely worked for that harvard trained doctor and professor at the University of Alabama a day or so ago that shot 3 people just because she wasnt given tenure.
where did WE as a society fail her? if you want to get more specific, where did the white members of society go wrong? why didnt they stop her? why didn't they lock her up when they had the chance? why did they give her a job?

u see how ridiculous this becomes.. there are over a billion muslims in the world, what percentage of them are terrorists? what can a muslim living in.. denver.. do about some lunatic living in the philippines or in afghanistan?

There is a difference between a rogue criminal and an organized movement using violence to change politics. The rogue criminal does not need to be persistant, does not need to survive or his cause to survive him. A political movement needs supporters.

Consider this, for every soldier, that soldier needs approximately ten people support him at all times. He needs someone to supply him food, water, medicine, money, shelter, transportation, intelligence, planning, direction, weapons, and tools. He can't do it himself. He relies on a community of people to do this.

As a community, Muslims cannot stop individual criminals any more than anyone else. But they *can* stop funding soldiers of a political movement. Shun businesses that fund them. Shun people that shelter them. Publicly show that you do not support them. Even if you cannot directly stop them, you can take away the community support and, sometimes literally, starve them out.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 AM

you're saying muslims as a whole fund terrorists and that they can stop the violence by not "funding" them.
and i am telling you that is incorrect. and armies and terrorist groups do not operate the same way.
how do you think the taliban came to power in afghanistan... local support? local businesses/government gave them the funds and weapons?
its a little more complicated than that. particularly in a country like afghanistan which was run by the maniacs themselves.. what did you expect those people to do? stand up against them and get killed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam