U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is Islam a religion of Peace?
Always 4 11.76%
Never 15 44.12%
Sometimes 10 29.41%
Most of the time 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM

3,050 posts, read 6,749,139 times
I think the same can be true of Islam.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
That's actually not true. Jesus taught kindness, love, and peace. Now, how someone behaves in the name of Christianity is a different story. That has nothing to do with the Bible itself. Christians are supposed to spread the Word with love, not by the sword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:46 PM

59 posts, read 76,828 times
Friends with Jews, Christians...
5.51: O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

No islam is not peace full this here clearly is hate full and there are countless other passages that give instructions on how to kill the non-beliver and as for the question YES muslims are peacefull but only to each other if your not muslim then your the enemy.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
But it is true. The crusades were done on the basis of religion, preached by Pope Urban II. This is only one example. The lunatics at Westboro Baptist Church also base their beliefs on the bible.

Whether or not you have the same interpretation of the bible as these other people is a different question. The point is that they are basing their actions on the same book that you are.
Yes but these people acted on ther own actions so if i were to do wrongfull crusades in your name are you to blame? NO because it was my actions not GOD'S.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The Biblical God encouraged war quite often.

The Q'uran encourages war as well, if it is deemed "justified", just like the Bible.

The Q'uran teaches a lot about loving one's neighbor. Conflictingly, it then occasionally pops out with an indictment to bring war on those who don't believe. Just as the Bible teaches a lot about loving one's neighbor, then lists all the people we should not allow to live (witches...gays...women who dress like men...etc.).

Islam's actual beliefs seem to be no more and no less violent than the beliefs espoused in the Bible.

Some Muslims twist their religion to condone hideous acts, just as some Christians, many, actually, all throughout history have twisted their religion to condone hideous acts. En masse. And repeatedly.

Well what you are speaking on is the old testament but every chapter had reason also it at that time was being done by the jewish people not Christians during the old testament time's all exept the jews were not in GOD'S favor only the jews were so you cant acctually pin this on the Christians if you read the BIBLE asking GOD to show you then you will see the truth so go read every chapter that speaks on war and you will see there was a reason.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 PM

253 posts, read 416,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
Years ago, when I first encountered some very radical Muslims at graduate school, I decided to study up on the Koran and Muslim beliefs. I also sat down with both American and "Middle Eastern" Muslims (from several different countries including Egypt, Iran, Kuwait and Saudi). I wanted to check out my understandings.

First, just as the Jews have the Talmud to expand on and explain the Torah, Muslims have the Hadith (or Haddith) and the Sunnah which expand on and explains the Koran. . The Sunnah is the second source of Islamic jurisprudence, the first being the Qur'an. Both sources are indispensable; one cannot practice Islam without consulting both of them. The Arabic word hadith (pl. ahadith) is very similar to Sunnah, but not identical. A hadith is a narration about the life of the Prophet (saas) or what he approved - as opposed to his life itself, which is the Sunnah as already mentioned. Some interpretations over the centuries were peaceful, most were not.

Comparing the terrorist actions of today's Muslims with the actions of the Crusaders is specious and is not a usable parallel. European culture in the 13th and 14th centuries was not comparable to the 20th and 21st centuries cultures of Muslim countries.

So what was the bottom line of my studies and discussions? Islam teaches conversion by the sword. Those who will not convert may be killed. It happens much more frequently in the Middle East than here, but even in the US, most of the mullahs support terrorism.

It is difficult to interpret the Koran and the Haddith as other than encouraging the killing of non-Muslims. I encourage you to not take my word for it, however. Check out the texts themselves at the Univ of California Santa Barbara Libraries Resources for Middle East and Islamic Studies:
UCSB Libraries - Internet Resources for Middle East and Islamic Studies (http://www.library.ucsb.edu/subjects/mideast/neareast.html - broken link)

There are many Muslim fora on the 'net which welcome non-Muslims for discussions. Please be aware, however, that much of what you hear there will be shufflings and spin. The ones where you are not welcome are the ones on which you will learn more, but you wouldn't last long on them - you'd be 'found out' and banned.

So all this is to say that months and months of study and months and months of discussions and associating with "westernized" Muslims have led me to the conclusion that Islam is NOT a religion of peace.

Islamic cultures cannot peacefully co-exist with western democratic / republic philosophy and practices. Not just because their "culture" prefers dictators and fear, but because their culture is based on central theocracy, no matter what kind of government they have.

Are you willing for US municipalities to be governed by Shari`ah and Fiqh principles? Polygamous marriages, women executed if they are raped by strangers, women required to wear jibab, hibab, and burka, girls forbidden education, hands and/or feet cut off for theft? How about female genital mutilation in order to perpetuate the "purity" of females? While not all this is "required" under Shari`ah and Fiqh, these are customs in many Muslim countries. There are Muslims who really believe if these were instituted here that American culture would become "purer."

How about training your 5 year old boys to be soldiers - for real? Teach them to become human bombs? This is going on in Palestinian kindergartens now.

All of these things are the **logical sequela** when one starts with the Koran and the Hadith and Sunnah.

No, I don't see Islam as a religion of peace. I see it as a culture of the repression of freedom and individualism - things the USA **is** based on.

I'm not going to debate my opinion. It's just my opinion. But it isn't open to change at this point.

turtlemom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
~*~ Parkinson's Law for Medical Research ~*~
~*~ Successful research attracts the bigger grant which makes further research impossible. ~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
I just wanted to point out that almost everything against Islam in your post was secular, thus eliminating the actual teachings of Islam. And I don't see how European cultures of the Crusader eras were too much unlike today's middle eastern cultures besides the lack of gunpowder. I have researched the middle ages for more than six years and consider Medieval Europe (particularly England, but other places as well) my strong point.

This is what things were like in Medieval Europe:
Strong Christian core, the Pope was all powerful, he said that those who went on the crusade would be pardoned of their sins

Now, were the 9/11 suicide bombers not promised 100 virgins in heaven? is this not a similar idea?

Heritics and those who broke catholic beliefs were killed

In modern islamic countries similar practices are exercized.

Jews were persecuted

Which middle eastern country doesn't want to wipe Israel off the map?

Well, I can go on and on, let me know what you are talking about when you say that European culture in the 13th and 14th centuries was not comparable to the 20th and 21st centuries cultures of Muslim countries. because I would love to know. Also, let's not forget the part Western countries played in making the middle east into the crap hole it is today when they started claiming all the land outside of Europe as territorries and not giving them independence until after WWII.

To be fair, Islam is no less peaceful than Christianity when going by either their actions or their scriptures.

That's all I have to say.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:45 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,859,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
what ever happened to salmon rushdie? lol sorry couldnt help myself, ive never read the Koran, dont plan on it either, as said before.
He is currently working on a book set in the Mughal Empire and Renaissance Italy. His son was in a lot of my econ classes at university.

People have been killing in the name of religion for centuries, and its still a driving force of much conflict in the world today. The media potrays islam as the most violent, and maybe it is, but many parts of the Christian bible, and the Quran can be interpreted as violent and harmful if taken in their literal context.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM

50 posts, read 144,802 times
The Quran definately has more passages in it about violence against unbelievers, but I'd like to point out that you are completely overlooking all the passages in the Quran about peace. The Old Testament has much violence in it, a lot of it commanded by God. Neither Christianity or Islam is intended to be a violent religion, it's just a couple radicals who use the religion to spread violence. (and of course the media helps spread prejudices too) Also, I notice we don't have any muslims on this board, so we can't exactly have a debate here...

Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,085,338 times
I do know several Muslims here in the U.S. and they are not following a religion of violence. I find it hard to believe that the people I know would condone any violence against others for different beliefs. So I still think it's a religion that seeks peace.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 PM

118 posts, read 145,030 times
Who are the Jews and Christians who enter Paradise
How to combine the meaning: (Those who believe and those who guide and Christians of various ideas and laws can harmoniously God and the Last Day and do good works rewarded by their Lord not to fear nor shall they grieve (and it did not believe Jews and Christians to Islam will not enter Paradise?.

Thank God

Verse that I have mentioned in your question mentioned in two places are identical from the book of God, the Almighty The former is to say: (that those who Ouamnoa Hadden and Christians of various ideas and laws can harmoniously in God and the Last Day and do good works rewarded by their Lord not to fear nor shall they grieve (62) Al-Baqarah

The second meaning is to say: (that those who Ouamnoa various ideas and laws can Jews and Christians of harmony in God and the Last Day and do right not to fear nor shall they grieve (69) Surat Al-Maida

In order to understand the meaning of true understanding Knight must go back to the scientists interpretation, said the Great Imam Ismail bin many God's mercy in the interpretation of any cow:

He says that it is better than the United above the unemployed and kick him Hasani, as well as to a matter of hours, followed the Prophet Nabi illiterate will receive eternal happiness to them with no fear, nor shall they grieve greets you as to what Turkish and successors as the Almighty "but the parents do not fear God They are not grieve "she says of the angels when believers in agony as saying that" those who say God and then comes to straightening out the angels will and human heaven that you promise "..

Iman was the Jews that it is maintained in the Torah by Moses and the year of peace until Jesus came came when Issa was maintained in the Torah and is allowing Myanmar Year Moussa did not follow Jesus was Halca, and faith that Christians hold a Bible and the doctrines of whom Jesus was a believer acceptable even came Muhammad And peace be upon him, it is not followed, Muhammad peace be upon him and let them what it was from Jesus and the Bible was Halca.

(The meaning) "It is our wish-Islam will not accept it when it is the losers in the hereafter" .. News that he does not accept one way or pursuant to only what the law was approved Mohammad peace be upon him after the mission by either before that anyone who followed the Prophet in the timing is guided by the way towards Jews and followers Musa peace be upon him, who were Ithakmon to the Torah in their time .. When sent Jesus peace be upon him then the Children of Israel followed him and amenable owners and their religion are Christians .. When God sent Muhammad peace be upon him skating rink of Abyei and messenger to the children of Adam never believing what they should be told and obey him with a Alancvav and what it enjoined These are really believers and called the nation Muhammad peace be upon him, believing the high intensity of their faith and hemostasis and because they believe in all prophets past and Agheiob Following.

His interpretation of God's mercy in any round:

It is intended that each task you believe in God and the Last Day, which promised retribution on religion and worked pursuant to a valid and is not so well so that conform to the law of Mohammedia after sending envoy to the owner of all it marked the heaviest so it greets you with fear them not to have left behind their backs, nor shall they grieve.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
It is in there Qur'an...
Sorry way it is.
That is from a Muslim site...here it is from another Islamic site:

[9.29] Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

[9.30] And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!

9.31] They have taken their doctors of law and their monks for lords besides Allah, and (also) the Messiah son of Marium and they were enjoined that they should serve one God only, there is no god but He; far from His glory be what they set up (with Him).

[9.32] They desire to put out the light of Allah with their mouths, and Allah will not consent save to perfect His light, though the unbelievers are averse.
[9.33] He it is Who sent His Apostle with guidance and the religion of truth, that He might cause it to prevail over all religions, though the polytheists may be averse.

[9.34] O you who believe! most surely many of the doctors of law and the monks eat away the property of men falsely, and turn (them) from Allah's way; and (as for) those who hoard up gold and silver and do not spend it in Allah's way, announce to them a painful chastisement,

[9.35] On the day when it shall be heated in the fire of hell, then their foreheads and their sides and their backs shall be branded with it; this is what you hoarded up for yourselves, therefore taste what you hoarded.

You can search the Qur'an yourself...if you don't believe it.
[URL="http://quod.lib.umich.edu/k/koran/"]The Koran[/URL]

MBG
I want to take your notice this verse:

[60.8] Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice. ( The Examined One )

the link: [URL="http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/koran/koran-idx?type=DIV0&byte=870663"]The Koran[/URL]

I really wonder next comments about this from anyone

Last edited by Ahmet Reha; 09-30-2008 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: a little adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam