Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Islam a religion of Peace?
Always 4 11.76%
Never 15 44.12%
Sometimes 10 29.41%
Most of the time 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times

Advertisements

what ever happened to salmon rushdie? lol sorry couldnt help myself, ive never read the Koran, dont plan on it either, as said before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
what ever happened to salmon rushdie? lol sorry couldnt help myself, ive never read the Koran, dont plan on it either, as said before.
Isn't he still in hiding

Old 06-01-2007, 01:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Isn't he still in hiding
He's come out of hiding:
Salman Rushdie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBG

Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Isn't he still in hiding
he is working at mcdonalds right beside Elvis-lol

Old 06-01-2007, 02:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
The question can be answered in many ways.

If we look to the Koran for an answer, whose interpretation do we use? Mine or yours? That of a mullah? That of a Muslim neighbor? A disinterested third party?

If we look to actions, whose actions do we examine? The average American Muslim? A member of the Taliban? A Palestinian refugee?

I think we could find any answer we desired, from lamblike to bloodthirsty.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 135,840 times
Default I ask for respect while posting

While posting on this thread Is Islam a peaceful religion? I urge all member posting on this thread to stay calm.

Please don't say anything disrespectful about Islam. No Trolling ,No out of control aguments ,Stay On Topic
Obsence Langurage is not allowed.
I ask for polite discussions

Respect other opinions

You can post opposing viewpoint about Islam as long as it's not offensive.

you can disagree but stay calm.

All opinions are welcome whether you Like Islam or not. Again I repeat stay calm

If you see anybody trolling, getting out of control etc on my posts please send me a private massage.

I urge all members to follow these rules so my threads will stay open. I did not come up with these rules. It's the terms of service for the city data forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited by Machine; 06-01-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
its supposed to be.

its message gets perverted by those that wish to use it for evil.

no dif than christianity during the crusades...

Old 06-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
While posting on this thread Is Islam a peaceful religion? I urge all member posting on this thread to stay calm.

Please don't say anything disrespectful about Islam. No Trolling ,No out of control aguments ,Stay On Topic
Obsence Langurage is not allowed.
I ask for polite discussions

Respect other opinions

You can post opposing viewpoint about Islam as long as it's not offensive.

you can disagree but stay calm.

All opinions are welcome whether you Like Islam or not. Again I repeat stay calm

If you see anybody trolling, getting out of control etc on my posts please send me a private massage.

I urge all members to follow these rules so my threads will stay open. I did not come up with these rules. It's the terms of service for the city data forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.
so whos not calm here??

Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
I think when you are talking about any religion you need to go back to what the holy books say a follower is supposed to do, not what individuals have used it for. If we only look at the individuals of any religion then we would have to deem them all blood thirsty. IMO.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Oh boy, this is such a multi-faceted question. I can give you examples of my experiences in the Middle East and my encounters with the people of the region. I am not an expert and I am not one of those people that will claim to have been there for years. I have about a total of one month immersed in the Middle Eastern culture and the people. So here's what I gathered from the people during the holiest time of the year (for them). I was in Kuwait during Ramadan (Rammadan?) and went through a couple of cultural immersion classes while I was there as well. Most people think that Islam is the strictest and most unforgiving religion in terms of when you do not worship properly. Kuwait is deemed to be one of those places. During the cultural immersion class we were told that during Rammadan people were not allowed to eat or drink from dawn till dusk and all of these other rules were to be followed. We constantly read in the news about Muslim imams encouraging war and we read about muslim terrorists blowing our troops up and we read about muslim terrorists in Afghanistan. Yes, they are using Islam to defend their actions of being mass murderers. They are NO different than the KKK, Hitler, the Crusaders, or insert your favorite violent Christian group. The KKK is a good example. They think that the only people living in America should be white anglo-saxon protestant christian americans. Do most Christians agree with their stance? Nope. Well, at least I don't think so. Do most Christians go burning crosses in the front yards of African American's homes? Nope. But, does the KKK represent a Christian organization? Yep. So, does that mean the Bible encourages these things? Well, it comes pretty close in parts of the Old Testament which most Christians don't like because of this whole NT OT thing they have going on to make excuses.

What I'm getting at here is the fact that because you see all of these bad things on Television about muslim suicide bombers, terrorists, and so and so forth isn't the only part of Islam. What Islam has right now is a cultural problem with its youth brought on by some very encouraging older adults. This, in itself, is the very problem with religion and not just Islam. Let's face it: The news wouldn't report on it if there were only nice things to say about Islam. You rarely see reports on mosques helping people out in the inner city. But they do. You rarely see reports of imams teaching the good things of Islam. But they do. What 99% of Americans have seen is the bad side of not just Islam, but any religion, given to them through the internet, CNN, FoxNews, Bill O'Reilly, Hannity and Colmes, Hillary Clinton, George Bush, and any other public means of receiving information.

Yes, it would be very easy to say Islam is not a religion of peace based on what you know from the news stations. Most people don't have the slightest clue how Muslims live their day to day lives and the cultural differences that there are between us and them. That is why Iraq won't work. They are not a people used to living a Democratic lifestyle. That's not the way they are. They have always lived under fear of either religion or dictatorship. That's what they're used to and that's what they prefer. So, next time, don't be so quick to point the finger at Islam unless you're willing to look at any other religion and see what violent pasts they have. Just because this is an era in time where the Muslims are seen as radicals doesn't mean our Christian forefathers were any better. You should read a little about what Woodrow Wilson did to the Phillipinos in the Spanish American War of 1898. You'd be surprised when you hear about water boarding techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam