U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM
 
310 posts, read 505,139 times
Reputation: 259

Advertisements

I found this to be an interesting read:

Let These Women Pray! - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

I would be interested in what our male Muslim posters here have to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
 
310 posts, read 505,139 times
Reputation: 259
No comments from any of our muslim posters here? Is the subject of equal rights for your women so frightening? Or perhaps all our muslims here are so progressive that they have absolutely no issues with their women praying in the same part of the mosque as the men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 PM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
13,624 posts, read 11,062,788 times
Reputation: 19981
i guess the men don't want the women to hear what they are praying for!!!>>Moderator cut: insult

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-05-2010 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: this is not a chat or joke thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: part of the Matrix--for now!
1,030 posts, read 1,177,885 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
I found this to be an interesting read:

Let These Women Pray! - Page 1 - The Daily Beast

I would be interested in what our male Muslim posters here have to say about it.
This is a tempest in a teapot. The overwhelming vast majority of Muslims don't view separate prayer spaces in Mosques for men and women as an issue. The article is much ado about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,634 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
No comments from any of our muslim posters here? Is the subject of equal rights for your women so frightening? Or perhaps all our muslims here are so progressive that they have absolutely no issues with their women praying in the same part of the mosque as the men?

you should to distinguish between " equal rights " and " identical rights"

which expression of them you wanna to argue about because i confess thet although their are equal rights but it's not identical

anyway , in islam , women pray separately for reasons of modesty and it is totally possible to get attracted (as GOD has created attraction Between Men and Women).
In the time of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) women would pray in rows behind the rows of men. If they prayed in front of the men or mingled with the men then when they prostrate men would get a direct view of womens bottoms, this is not a way to be modest and would make it difficult for everyone to concentrate on their prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 AM
 
310 posts, read 505,139 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
you should to distinguish between " equal rights " and " identical rights"
which expression of them you wanna to argue about because i confess thet although their are equal rights but it's not identical anyway , in islam , women pray separately for reasons of modesty and it is totally possible to get attracted (as GOD has created attraction Between Men and Women).
In the time of the Prophet Mohammad women would pray in rows behind the rows of men. If they prayed in front of the men or mingled with the men then when they prostrate men would get a direct view of womens bottoms, this is not a way to be modest and would make it difficult for everyone to concentrate on their prayers.
I refuse to argue semantics with you, especially since you are aware exactly what I'm asking. Apparently your answer is yes, you have a problem treating women equally to men. All those women want is the same treatment as a human being that the men get, and not to be hidden away in ignorant shame, treated as second class chattel subject to men. How shameful. How weak muslim men must be that they are fearful of women and incapable of controlling themselves like the whole rest of the world manages to do on a daily basis.

Last edited by Balvenie; 03-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,634 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
I refuse to argue semantics with you, especially since you are aware exactly what I'm asking. Apparently your answer is yes, you have a problem treating women equally to men. All those women want is the same treatment as a human being that the men get, and not to be hidden away in ignorant shame, treated as second class chattel subject to men. How shameful. How weak muslim men must be that they are fearful of women and incapable of controlling themselves like the whole rest of the world manages to do on a daily basis.
i have just two comments

firstly , your expression " all those women" refers to only 4 women according to your article , it wasn't ever a problem for women through 1500 years in any place in the world

secondly , i said our reasons about why women pray behind men , the reasons have nothing to do with disgrading of women as you suggest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
 
310 posts, read 505,139 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
i have just two comments

firstly , your expression " all those women" refers to only 4 women according to your article , it wasn't ever a problem for women through 1500 years in any place in the world
I assume English is not your first language as you do not understand that sentence correctly. "All those women want" does NOT refer to an amount of women but rather means "the specific thing that those women desire". So this part of your argument is meaningless.

Quote:
secondly , i said our reasons about why women pray behind men , the reasons have nothing to do with disgrading of women as you suggest
Moderator cut: off topic

So basically what you're saying is that you personally agree with the subjugation of women by men on your religion?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-09-2010 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: topic is NOT about gay Islamic men
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,215 posts, read 2,039,634 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post

So basically what you're saying is that you personally agree with the subjugation of women by men on your religion?

you can assueme what you want , i have nothing else to say

peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
206 posts, read 359,827 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
you should to distinguish between " equal rights " and " identical rights"

which expression of them you wanna to argue about because i confess thet although their are equal rights but it's not identical

anyway , in islam , women pray separately for reasons of modesty and it is totally possible to get attracted (as GOD has created attraction Between Men and Women).
In the time of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) women would pray in rows behind the rows of men. If they prayed in front of the men or mingled with the men then when they prostrate men would get a direct view of womens bottoms, this is not a way to be modest and would make it difficult for everyone to concentrate on their prayers.
Per Sharia, isn't it true that a woman's testimony is only worth half of a man's testimony?
Now not picking on the Muslim faith, after all in Christianity too, women were more or less considered subserviant to men. But they have moved on from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top