Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times

Advertisements

This is a question reverts get asked quite often. I think it would be best if we answer this in a separate thread, rather then repeating in different threads each time it is asked.

So here we go.

"Why did you Revert to Islam?"

I will begin with why I did. Here is a short synopsis of why I did.

Quote:
In my early years one of my interests was the study of languages. among the languages I learned was Arabic. However I studied in Morocco at the University of Rabat and learned the Darija Dialect, which unfortunately is not understood in much of the Arabic speaking world. But the written Arabic is the same world wide no matter what dialect you speak, so it was not a total loss.

I first learned of Islam to any extent while I was a Pilot in the USAF. One thing we were taught was how to say the shahadah (The Islamic Testimony of Faith) in Arabic. It was believed that if we were found by any Muslims after crashing and if we said the Shahadah we would be treated as friends. This was taught in the event we ever crashed in a Muslim Nation, Our flights often originated near the Mediterranean and we sometimes flew over the Islamic nations.

By the year 1988 I had very much given up on organized Christianity, although I still felt Christianity was the path to salvation. I no longer belonged to any church and considered myself agnostic although I called myself Buddhist. In 1989 I lost my first wife and in 1990 married my second wife. My children did not like my second wife and that became the last year I had contact with my children. My wife and I pretty much became wanderers around the world. I had sufficient personal income and savings so we could pretty much indulge our travel desires. We both also did as much evangelical work we could during this time. However, my preaching became plain simple Christianity with no denomination affiliation. It was a self paid venture with no sources for any religious pamphlets, bible etc except for my own wallet. Yet, there was always sufficient money to provide for any needed material.

In 2004 We were living in the small town of Tennessee Colony. Texas a very Red Neck town smack in the Center of the Bible Belt. I was diagnosed with lung cancer and began preparing for my final days. But my wife passed away suddenly just a few weeks after my diagnosis. I went into a very deep depression and began drinking quite heavily. In May of 2005 I realized the stupidity of my drunken binge sobered up and set forth to regain control of my life. I began with a general clean up of the house. During my clean up I found my old Qur'an in Arabic that I had bought while I was a student at Rabat. I had bought it as a study guide to help me learn to read Arabic.

It had been many years since I had last read anything in Arabic. I was curious as to if I could still read it. I opened it to Surah Fatiha and the first line literally jumped out at me.

Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem. "In the name of Allaah, the provider, the Most merciful"

It was like the words glowed and completely filled me with an inner peace I never felt before.

I turned back to the preface and saw it was the supplication:

“Auzu Billahi Mina Al Shaytan Al Rajeem”.
(In Allaah(swt) I seek refuge from the evils of Satan)

After over 20 years of not speaking Arabic it all flowed back to me. I could not stop reading and I was not simply reading words, the feeling of each ayyat came upon me with an indescribable warmth and sense of understanding. I could not stop. I do not know how long I read I know it was for at least 48 hours and I still could not stop the feeling was so powerful and filling me with a strong sense of love and joy on the morning of what I believe was the 3rd day I finally set the Qur'an down and knew I was Muslim. I instantly said the Shahadah and knew I was now part of the Ummah. I did not even know if there were any Muslims in Texas much less if there were any Mosques.

I realized I was hungry and there was no food in the house. The nearest store was only a mile from me so I decided to walk down to it. When I entered the store there was a stranger from out of town. He was dark skinned. Our eyes met and he smiled and said "As salaamu Alaikum Akhi" without hesitation I answered back "Wa alaikum wa reamatullahi wa baraktuhu" He then asked"How long have you been Muslim, I answered about 15 minutes.

He then asked me if I had ever been in a Mosque, I said no. He then invited me to go to the Mosque in Tyler on Friday. I accepted. I later learned his name was Aadil and he had just moved to Texas from Pakistan. He had gotten lost and accidentally drove into Tennessee Colony, He had stopped at the store to get directions. Aadil and I became very close friends and still are although he has since moved back to Pakistan.

Things then moved so fast it became a blur. My youngest Daughter who I had not seen for at least 15 years called me on the telephone. She had been contacted by the VA and had learned they were concerned about my health. She insisted I move in with her family in Austin, which I did. The biggest surprise was finding out she had accepted Islam over 10 years before and was married to a fine pious Muslim man and had 2 children I had never seen. A bigger surprise was soon to come. I discovered all of my children had reverted to Islam and all of my Grandchildren were Muslim.

My cancer was in remission for a while. In January of 2006 the cancer became active again. without treatment my prognosis was 3-4 months. I elected not to receive treatment and set about making my own funeral arrangements. In May for some reason I was still alive and accidently stumbled across the forum (islamicboard.com). I joined and it became a source of purpose for me. Ramadan came and I was still alive. During Ramadan, came what I call the Beard miracle. People of my race have no facial hair or at most a few scattered whiskers(I am predominantly Mongol) (Lithuanian Tatar-Lietuva Lipkas) I had never had to shave in my entire life. Yet on that Ramadan I grew a full, fist length, very thick beard. I still have the beard and although it has never been trimmed it is still the same length.

I am still alive and have not been back to any doctor since January 2006. I think I have lived past the 3-4 month prognosis.

At the urging of a dear friend I wrote my life story for her website. My entire life story can be read there.

A Long Journey to Reach Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
This is a question reverts get asked quite often. I think it would be best if we answer this in a separate thread, rather then repeating in different threads each time it is asked.

So here we go.

"Why did you Revert to Islam?"

I will begin with why I did. Here is a short synopsis of why I did.

At the urging of a dear friend I wrote my life story for her website. My entire life story can be read there.

A Long Journey to Reach Home
Woodrow, I tried to read your story, but the link is not working. Is it still available to read?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Woodrow, I tried to read your story, but the link is not working. Is it still available to read?
Odd, the site owner must have made some changes that invalidated the old links. Try HERE

Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Odd, the site owner must have made some changes that invalidated the old links. Try HERE
Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM

282 posts, read 297,953 times
May Allah provide for you my dearest friend

Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Thank You.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:44 PM

67 posts, read 84,784 times
I'm not a convert, but I know a couple of Christians and atheists on other forums who converted because they would do nothing but ask about many of the bad things they would read on sites like faithfreedom but were open-minded about hearing refutations. And when us Muslims had responses, they eventually saw the light.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 PM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Salaam Alaikum Woodrow! MashaAllah, I've been reading upon your posts and they are just so spot on. I hope to aspire like you one day, inshaAllah with your patience and wisdom. =)

I have a couple questions, however! With the amount of knowledge you spew, I'm curious if you have attended some formal Islamic schooling in your life? If so, may I ask where you attended? I ask, cause it's somewhat related to my second question! I see in your bio page that you list the Hanafi madhab, and I am curious why you picked Imam Abu Hanifa's school of thought over the others? Thank you, seriously! You're such an inspiration for kids like me who still have a life ahead if God wills it. =)

Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Salaam Alaikum Woodrow! MashaAllah, I've been reading upon your posts and they are just so spot on. I hope to aspire like you one day, inshaAllah with your patience and wisdom. =)

I have a couple questions, however! With the amount of knowledge you spew, I'm curious if you have attended some formal Islamic schooling in your life? If so, may I ask where you attended? I ask, cause it's somewhat related to my second question! I see in your bio page that you list the Hanafi madhab, and I am curious why you picked Imam Abu Hanifa's school of thought over the others? Thank you, seriously! You're such an inspiration for kids like me who still have a life ahead if God wills it. =)
wa Alaikum Salaam wa Ramatullahi wa Baraktuhu FutureTown

I have very little formal Islamic Education but was fortunate enough to have been living in Texas at the time I reverted. Strangely although I have never met Br Yusuf Estes our paths have often crossed. On several occasion I have been mistaken for him, which I consider an honor.

But overall I did meet some outstanding older scholars in Austin and Houston and they became my personal Mentors. Some of them having had been Mentors of Br. Yusuf Estes.

Insha Allah one day I will meet Br Yusuf I feel like I know him, we are the same age, have lived in Texas, and I do know some of the same people he knows.

I also had the advantage of being able to read and write Arabic before finding Islam.

When choosing a Madhab one should select what is the most compatable with where they Live. The Hanafi Madhab is the most compatable with life in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam