U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 AM

467 posts, read 1,044,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I couldn't care less what religion our President is, as long as he can calmly and objectively put this country in the right direction. As long as he doesn't inject whatever religion he is into his daily work, it doesn't bother me one bit.
My feeling as well.

I have no qualms about making the fact that I'm an atheist perfectly clear. I don't worry about our children so much, yet despite how much others sugarcoat and deny the issue in our community, religion is serious business here, and in turn, social ostracism is alive and kicking.

Where I live, the very school teachers that require your email (as the student's parent) to keep you in the loop regarding weekly classroom updates, will use it for their own personal gain and use said email address to relentlessly invite you to their church.

Being truthful is a defense mechanism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM

458 posts, read 669,001 times
Quote:
I have never quite understood the hullabaloo over it. But I want to pick the atheist mind on how the rationale of fear mongering based on the President's religious affiliation can be justified.

Why would that be an issue in a democratic country? I have not heard ONE news channel, one anchor, one critic put this in their pipe and smoke on it.

Which raises another question. Do you tell people you are atheist? I guess for me, as a brown woman I am already half written off as a pagan, so I don't have pushing em' over the edge with 'I am an atheist'. But I wonder how others deal with it. Are you fearful, nervous, if not for yourselves, then for your children?
Why would that be an issue in a democratic country?(In my opinion) Because of the attack in New York on 9/11/2000. The attack was from a radical Muslim group. If it were from a radical Buddhist group then “Buddhism” would have a dark cloud over its head. If it were from a radical Christian group then probably nothing. The largest portions of religious groups in America are Christian based and IMO there would have been less of an upheaval. We as people fear the unknown and since a large majority of Americans are Christian there would have been less people in fear.
I have not heard ONE news channel, one anchor, one critic put this in their pipe and smoke on it. “Political correctness” with the acceptance of “political correctness” who wants to be fingered a hater then get years of malicious ridicule because of a spoken opinion. Here, on this forum, there is a sense of shelter from outright judgment that allows us to speak our minds with minimal ramification (I must say I have done so on the political section). We have the freedom of speech but so does the other guy we might be offending.
Do you tell people you are atheist? (Agnostic) No I don’t. Like someone stated earlier, it raises a fear factor. I can do without the looks or silly debates about “what if I’m wrong’. Non-believers get treated quite differently then even a Sadist. I guess its because even a Sadist believes in a “GOD”. I do offer my opinion but I’ve gotten the sinner look by that time.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM

51 posts, read 107,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm never really fearful necessarily... but it does make me sad that some people won't want to be my friend, or won't want to be around me based on my Atheism (which has happened numerous times in the past) so generally I don't tell unless asked.
Jet, that does sound pretty horrible! When I hear/read things like this, I wish we could have our own little town - if not that, at least I wish Atheism was a religion, so we could go and reverse-proselytize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I suppose I care. But then I care that Palin hangs out with witch doctors and has a vested interested in hurrying along the rapture. In other words ---- are we talking about 'normal' christianity/islam or crazy azz christianity/islam? I do believe that there is a difference.
For the record, I truly believe that Obama is an atheist. Of course in this country to admit that would be political suicide.
Camping, I don't think that Obama has ever reflected anything but cool composure so far. But I don't think the political dialogue makes that differentiation of fundamentalist Islam or just him being a Muslim. That shame-to-all-womenkind-dimwit started the allegation of him 'palling around with terrorists' (remember the 'Arab' shoutout during her campaign?)

I guess the question I am still asking is that is everyone else except atheists in our country completely intolerant of political leaders other than those who embrace 'judea-christian' values? Does not questioning his validity for this role based on religion transgress some amendment or something?

People questioning it is one thing, getting the super ignorant of the right-wing lot all riled up on public media is altogether wrong on so many levels! Political chips on one side, I still cannot grasp how this inflammatory parlance could be even legal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't really have a problem with Blair's Catholicism..well, no, not really....a papist in no. 10. fine, fine...

No, it was going into Iraq on a fallacy that makes me glad the wafer- eating bastard's gone.
That is hilarious Arq!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
I have no qualms about making the fact that I'm an atheist perfectly clear. I don't worry about our children so much, yet despite how much others sugarcoat and deny the issue in our community, religion is serious business here, and in turn, social ostracism is alive and kicking.

Where I live, the very school teachers that require your email (as the student's parent) to keep you in the loop regarding weekly classroom updates, will use it for their own personal gain and use said email address to relentlessly invite you to their church.

Being truthful is a defense mechanism.
AngryCandy you should respond with membership to the Atheist forum! I tell you people we need an organized religion!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM

mrmikeman, that is so insightful, sad and frightening at the same time. I feel so confused about life at times. Thank you all for this forum and your posts!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:38 PM

148 posts, read 278,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I don't care what religion our president is as long as he isn't a fanatic about it and shelves it before stepping into the oval office. I would not want a president that is a fundamentalist in any religion.
George W. Bush

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,044,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondesofmonroe View Post
AngryCandy you should respond with membership to the Atheist forum! I tell you people we need an organized religion!
Point me in the right direction (via a direct message if you have to).

Old 04-06-2010, 04:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,060,174 times
Why do we need an organized religion? That's the last thing I could possibly want.

Back to the main topic, I would as soon have a moderate Muslim as President as a moderate Christian, and rather than a fundie Christian (like GWB).

Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Why do we need an organized religion? That's the last thing I could possibly want.
I guess I got carried away with the 'organized' part. But the way I look at it, atheism is not devoid of spirituality for one. And two, people in immense distress need a sense of community, some reassurance, some comforting. I know, I know, the best self-advice to an atheist would ideally be 'suck it up buddy boy' there is no savior. But there could be friends yes? Maybe the fear of ostracism exists because of a lack of community, or at least a perceived absence of one. Being a card-carrying atheist would also be easy to defray aggressive converters. And then catman you and I could go get a Ford Taurus and go knock doors like those JWs or Mormons

The idea of surrender to a fictional omnipotent being to me is with all rationale, beyond absurd. But as far as I understand, religion is nothing more than a set of principles. Maybe my thinking is colored from my Hindu background, a religion which is at heart agnostic really, than multi-theist as most people assume.

But it is a set of principles - even if they mean atheist ones - that make a religion.

I am not arguing, just attempting at critical expression - wow that does not sound very good - I meant, a dialogue that stems from critical thinking ha ha!

Last edited by blondesofmonroe; 04-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: incomplete sentence!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,060,174 times
Yes, but atheism is not a religion. It has only one principle: that one does not believe (not necesarily deny the existence of) in a god or gods. By extension, this implies a naturalist viewpoint, and a regard for rational thinking, but even these are not required. There isn't a set of dogma, therefore no organized religion can be made of it.

Besides, I prefer catma!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM

Okay Catma!

I agree with the naturalist theory. I do disagree with 'not deny existence of god' - that would be agnostic no? I reiterate on the principle though. Anything done with an unwavering commitment to rational-irrational dogma is for all communicative purposes 'religion'.

The thought has consumed me also because I was wondering what support system atheists/agnostics/naturalists in army or prisons have. Even for the homosexual population, it would be great to be comforted with a sense of acceptance in a community. Those who do not want to be card-carrying ones don't have to, but definitely there could be a lot of productive humanitarian work that can happen if we all come together. So 'religious' just for convenience -my 2c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam