Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM

51 posts, read 122,384 times

Advertisements

I have never quite understood the hullabaloo over it. But I want to pick the atheist mind on how the rationale of fear mongering based on the President's religious affiliation can be justified.

Why would that be an issue in a democratic country? I have not heard ONE news channel, one anchor, one critic put this in their pipe and smoke on it.

Which raises another question. Do you tell people you are atheist? I guess for me, as a brown woman I am already half written off as a pagan, so I don't have pushing em' over the edge with 'I am an atheist'. But I wonder how others deal with it. Are you fearful, nervous, if not for yourselves, then for your children?

Last edited by blondesofmonroe; 04-05-2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I couldn't care less what religion our President is, as long as he can calmly and objectively put this country in the right direction. As long as he doesn't inject whatever religion he is into his daily work, it doesn't bother me one bit.

As for telling people I'm an Atheist, sometimes it will come up in conversation, and it really depends on the person/group I'm with. I know that at least 3 of my coworkers are Atheist because we've joked about it in the past. I also know at least 2 of my coworkers are devout Southern Baptists and I do watch what I say around them. We also have a few Christians and Catholics.

I generally don't tell people I'm an Atheist not so much because of the 'fear' factor, but because some people take it upon themselves to try and convert you as much as they can, and that gets REALLY irritating. I had to change my religious affiliation on Facebook because all the messages and bible verses from old high school 'friends' got overwhelming. They stopped bothering me when I left it blank.

I'm never really fearful necessarily... but it does make me sad that some people won't want to be my friend, or won't want to be around me based on my Atheism (which has happened numerous times in the past) so generally I don't tell unless asked.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
Take the Black Extremist Muslims. They have had setback after the 9/11 incidence. So if the president were muslim, he'd have to be For or Against them first. That would be a set back for the Iranians because per Atheism I believe... talking about atheistic faith.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
I don't care what religion our president is as long as he isn't a fanatic about it and shelves it before stepping into the oval office. I would not want a president that is a fundamentalist in any religion.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I couldn't care less what religion our President is, as long as he can calmly and objectively put this country in the right direction. As long as he doesn't inject whatever religion he is into his daily work, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I don't care what religion our president is as long as he isn't a fanatic about it and shelves it before stepping into the oval office. I would not want a president that is a fundamentalist in any religion.
Yes and yes. I couldn't care less if Obama is a Christian or Muslim as long as he keeps in his personal life, where it belongs.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:29 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
His beliefs shouldn't matter so long as he doesn't run the country based on his religion. He's our (all of us) president whether we like it or not.

As for telling people I'm an atheist, I don't care. I suppose I would have been a little more shy about it when I was younger, but the older I get, the less and less I give a damn what somebody thinks about it or whether they like it or not. Get off my lawn, fundies! If someone judges you because of your lack of belief, they aren't worth having as a friend.

You can find better people to hang with than that. If I can do it where I live, anyone can.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
It doesn't matter to me. I just don't want a President.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
I suppose I care. But then I care that Palin hangs out with witch doctors and has a vested interested in hurrying along the rapture. In other words ---- are we talking about 'normal' christianity/islam or crazy azz christianity/islam? I do believe that there is a difference.

For the record, I truly believe that Obama is an atheist. Of course in this country to admit that would be political suicide.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
For the record, I truly believe that Obama is an atheist. Of course in this country to admit that would be political suicide.
I've had the same suspicion about him, though I can't quite put my finger on why I think that.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I had that idea about a lot of political leaders, though they all played the god - card. There were those who made an issue of it and those probably were card- carrying theists, though Jimmy Carter was rather low -key about it. Never seemed to be in yore face.

So Obama appears to have been converted and I doubt that he ever was a muslim. Some things he hath said seem to be a bit sceptical but maybe I shouldn't read too much into it. Just so he seems at least to be a bit more tolerant about non - Christians than the Bushes were. I have no problem.

I don't really have a problem with Blair's Catholicism..well, no, not really....a papist in no. 10. fine, fine...

No, it was going into Iraq on a fallacy that makes me glad the wafer- eating bastard's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam