U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,083,827 times

Advertisements

I know there is a problem with quoting other sites on this forum, but my copy/paste, is for the purpose of the actual verses, which can easily be looked up by book and verse number.

Safiyyah: Muhammad’s War Booty

An example of Muhammad’s questionable ethics is his marriage to a seventeen-year-old Jewish girl named Safiyyah whom he took from the plunder of Khaibar:
Narrated Abdul Aziz:
Anas said, "When Allah's Apostle invaded Khaibar, we offered the Fajr prayer there (early in the morning) when it was still dark. The Prophet rode and Abu Talha rode too and I was riding behind Abu Talha. The Prophet passed through the lane of Khaibar quickly and my knee was touching the thigh of the Prophet. He uncovered his thigh and I saw the whiteness of the thigh of the Prophet. When he entered the town, he said, ‘Allahu Akbar! Khaibar is ruined. Whenever we approach near a (hostile) nation (to fight) then evil will be the morning of those who have been warned.’ He repeated this thrice. The people came out for their jobs and some of them said, ‘Muhammad (has come).’ (Some of our companions added, ‘With his army.’) We conquered Khaibar, took the captives, and the booty was collected. Dihya came and said, ‘O Allah's Prophet! Give me a slave girl from the captives.’ The Prophet said, ‘Go and take any slave girl.’ He took Safiya bint Huyai. A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Allah's Apostle! You gave Safiya bint Huyai to Dihya and she is the chief mistress of the tribes of Quraiza and An-Nadir and she befits none but you.’ So the Prophet said, ‘Bring him along with her.’ So Dihya came with her and when the Prophet saw her, he said to Dihya, ‘Take any slave girl other than her from the captives.’" Anas added: "The Prophet then manumitted her and married her."
Thabit asked Anas, "O Abu Hamza! What did the Prophet pay her (as Mahr)?" He said, "Her self was her Mahr for he manumitted her and then married her." Anas added, "While on the way, Um Sulaim dressed her for marriage (ceremony) and at night she sent her as a bride to the Prophet. So the Prophet was a bridegroom and he said, ‘Whoever has anything (food) should bring it.’ He spread out a leather sheet (for the food) and some brought dates and others cooking butter. (I think he (Anas) mentioned As-Sawaq). So they prepared a dish of Hais (a kind of meal). And that was Walima (the marriage banquet) of Allah's Apostle." (Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 8, Number 367)

Muhammad was so captivated by her beauty that he gave up seven slaves for her!
(2991) Anas said: A beautiful slave-girl fell to Dihyah. The Apostle of Allah purchased her for seven slaves. He then gave her to Umm Sulaim for decorating her and preparing her for marriage. The narrator Hammad said: Safiyyah daughter of Huyayy should pass her waiting period in her (Umm Sulaim’s) house. (Sunan Abu Dawud, English translation with Explanatory Notes by Prof. Ahmad Hasan [Sh. Muhammad Ashraf Publishers, Booksellers & Exporters; Lahore, Pakistan, 1984], Volume II, Book XIII. Kitab al-Kharaj (Book of Tribute, Spoils & Rulership), Chapter 1109: On the Special Portion of the Prophet Taken Exclusively By Him From The Booty, p. 848)

Background
When Muhammad attacked Khayber, he took Safiyya bint Huyay from among the captured women. Months earlier, he had killed Safiyya’s father Huyay Ibn Al Akhtab on the bloody day of his Qurayza genocide. When Muhammad attacked Khayber, Safiyyah was a 17-year-old girl, and had been married twice. First she married Sallam Ibn Mishkam Al Qurazi. After her divorce from him, she remarried Kinana Ibn Al Rabi’, a young leader of the bani al-Nadir Jewish community, who had resettled in Khayber after their expulsion from Medina by Muhammad 2 years earlier. Muhammad killed Kinana in a very barbaric and painful manner as the following passage from the “Sirat” illustrates:
Kinana b. al-Rabi’, who had custody of the treasure of B. al-Nadir, was brought to the apostle who asked him about it. He denied that he knew where it was. A Jew came (T. was brought) to the apostle and said that he has seen Kinana going round a certain ruin every morning early. When the apostle said to Kinana, ‘Do you know that if we find you have it I shall kill you?’ he said Yes. The apostle gave orders that the ruin was to be excavated and some of the treasure was found. When he asked him about the rest he refused to produce it, so the apostle gave orders to al-Zubayr b. al-Awwam, ‘Torture him until you extract what he has,’ so he kindled a fire with flint and steel on his chest until he was nearly dead. Then the apostle delivered him to Muhammad b. Maslama and he struck off his head, in revenge to his brother Mahmud. [The Life of Muhammad, Translated by A. Guillaume, Oxford, p. 515]

[SIZE=5]Tabari VIII:117 "Dihyah had asked the Messenger for Safiyah[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Bukhari:V4. 143 /V5.523 " It was then that the beauty of Safiyah was described to him. Her husband had been killed , so Allah's Apostle selected her for himself. …'"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Ishaq:511 "When Dihyah protested, wanting to keep Safiyah for himself, the Apostle traded for Safiyah by giving Dihyah her two cousins. The women of Khaybar were distributed among the Muslims. Muhammad made her manumission;[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Ishaq:517[/SIZE][SIZE=5] "When the Apostle married [using a word designed to convey the nature of a moral and loving relationship to this situation is repulsive] Safiyah on his way out of town, she was beautified and combed, putting her in a fitting state for the Messenger. The Apostle passed the night with her in his tent. Abu Ayyub, girt with his sword, guarded the Apostle, going round the tent until he saw him emerge in the morning. Abu said, 'I was afraid for you with this womanfor you have killed her father, her husband, and her people."[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,083,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippa View Post

And BTW, that does not debunk anything, it just gives an apologists version, I see nothing other than someone trying to explain away a story, and not using actual references, but rather his own version.

And I want to point out, we are limited with sources for this, I said accused, I did not say he actually did it, however we have to remember 4/5ths of Ishaq was destroyed because of " Matters that would distress people", so we are left with a guess, of what else was in one of the most vile books ever written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or