U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,121 posts, read 26,690,726 times
Reputation: 16255

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing123 View Post
Alcohol is part of culture but in my religion we believe in the abstinence of it. It degrades human civilization (as someone stated before). It destroys your liver, your reputation, your values and morals. Would you rather be drunk, make-up smudged, dress ripped at a dinner party, totally hungover the next day unaware of what happened, or come in and out as beautiful as an angel, no reputations demolished and you actually remember the night?
I understand that it's culture for some. I've never had a drop of it but I think it's incredibly immature when I see people getting smashed and drunk. I don't mind if people have it in moderation but when they take it too far...its down-right disgusting.

That's what I personally think-I understand everyone has different opinions and that's the beauty of democracy
Soooo..... you can be either super trashed or sober? I had a glass of wine with dinner last night. I hardly think that makes me a bad person, or will destroy my liver, my reputation or my values and morals.

In fact, a glass of red wine on occasion has been known to promote a healthy heart. And I can almost guarantee that many of the people that you see drunk in a bar would classify themselves as 'religious'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Not yet
251 posts, read 373,687 times
Reputation: 26


No doubt you find many of the hostile propaganda against Islam

these are one of them ....

But the events of September learned many Americans of the truth about Islam ....Who knew that Islam is a religion irrelevant to this events ...and by them convert to Islam ....


imanway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Not yet
251 posts, read 373,687 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Oh, great, more proselytizing. So tell me how alcohol in moderation 'degrades' a human. And please don't do it with a Qu'ran quotation. I do my best to deal in facts.



proselytizing is not my responsibility .....

the decision is yours ...

proselytizing or not does not change anything in fact but remain as it is


How do you feel when you find that everything is in the Koran is

linked to studies and researches scientists today .

For that to quote from the Koran why not ?


anyway , you said about Drinking alcohol in moderation ok? But what do you think of his/her behavior after Drinking is it good ?



Furthermore See what is caused by smoking


I'm sure you do not wish to deal with alcohol even if moderately right ?


imanway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,659,413 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanway View Post
How do you feel when you find that everything is in the Koran is linked to studies and researches scientists today .
Amused at the fact that Muslims seem to believe this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,291,796 times
Reputation: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanway View Post
proselytizing is not my responsibility .....

the decision is yours ...

proselytizing or not does not change anything in fact but remain as it is


How do you feel when you find that everything is in the Koran is

linked to studies and researches scientists today .

For that to quote from the Koran why not ?


anyway , you said about Drinking alcohol in moderation ok? But what do you think of his/her behavior after Drinking is it good ?



Furthermore See what is caused by smoking


I'm sure you do not wish to deal with alcohol even if moderately right ?


imanway


Dude, none of it matters to me. Allah doesn't care if I drink, or smoke, or have gay sex, or run around naked slapping people with a dead fish. Allah doesn't care if I live my life good and moral, or if I'm evil and bad and so very, very naughty. Allah isn't interested in my beard, or my jewelry or that I don't know which way Mecca is. Allah doesn't care about any of this stuff because I was raised on bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,891,005 times
Reputation: 1228
i think its weird that its considered "bad" here on earth but in heaven apparently they will have plenty of wine

Quran-(52:17-20): “They will recline (with ease) on thrones arranged in ranks. And We shall marry them to Huris (fair females) with wide lovely eyes.” “There they shall pass from hand to hand a (wine) cup, free from any Laghw….”

Quran-(78: 33-34):“And young full-breasted (mature) maidens of equal age, and a full cup of wine.”

etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Not yet
251 posts, read 373,687 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing123 View Post
Alcohol is part of culture but in my religion we believe in the abstinence of it. It degrades human civilization (as someone stated before). It destroys your liver, your reputation, your values and morals. Would you rather be drunk, make-up smudged, dress ripped at a dinner party, totally hungover the next day unaware of what happened, or come in and out as beautiful as an angel, no reputations demolished and you actually remember the night?
I understand that it's culture for some. I've never had a drop of it but I think it's incredibly immature when I see people getting smashed and drunk. I don't mind if people have it in moderation but when they take it too far...its down-right disgusting.

That's what I personally think-I understand everyone has different opinions and that's the beauty of democracy


that's very good that you have never had a drop of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
20,894 posts, read 13,659,413 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i think its weird that its considered "bad" here on earth but in heaven apparently they will have plenty of wine.
Actually, when the Qur'an is sequenced in the chronological order of its "revelation" you'll note that the proscription against alcohol was a gradual development.

Never let it be said that Allah couldn't change his mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Not yet
251 posts, read 373,687 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Dude, none of it matters to me. Allah doesn't care if I drink, or smoke, or have gay sex, or run around naked slapping people with a dead fish. Allah doesn't care if I live my life good and moral, or if I'm evil and bad and so very, very naughty. Allah isn't interested in my beard, or my jewelry or that I don't know which way Mecca is. Allah doesn't care about any of this stuff because I was raised on bacon.


then Heaven and hell, on any basis be if allah doesn't care all What you said ?

What standard of obedience and disobedience here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
 
2,893 posts, read 5,291,796 times
Reputation: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanway View Post
then Heaven and hell, on any basis be if allah doesn't care all What you said ?

What standard of obedience and disobedience here?

Not Allah's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top