U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM
 
508 posts, read 1,549,035 times
Reputation: 425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
But you don't even believe what is written there, you do not take Him for His Word, what we know He said. If you do not believe the words in the book we know He authored how on earth can you know what is right and true?
The bible, if one is Christian is to be taken for truth, and not to be dismissed because you as a mere human disagree.
No one said God was contained wholly in a book, but the book contains His Word and what it contains you either follow and trust or you don't.

MBG
AMEN!!! I have to type a post of a certain length, so again . . . AMEN!!!

 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Between Here and There
3,684 posts, read 11,000,514 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
youre missing my point. No I do not agree with you. You consistently refer to the bible as a good guide, but you reject its teachings. I dont get it.
Well I can't help you with that. My faith is very personal to me. I do not reject the bible, I just don't think it stops there. There is a difference. I don't believe it was ever meant to be taken literally and I think there is a lot of man's influence permeated through out. But I find it hard to believe that you do not agree that one's relationship with God is personal. That is my only point, that I know for myself that God approves of my beliefs. If He didn't I don't think He would have worked so many miracles into my life. That's all I'm saying. You don't need to agree, just accept that because I don't have the same beliefs as you that it doesn't make my beliefs wrong for me. Yours are fine for you but they would go against who I believe God to be. Faith being based on belief and not fact we all need to agree to disagree.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Between Here and There
3,684 posts, read 11,000,514 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
But you don't even believe what is written there, you do not take Him for His Word, what we know He said. If you do not believe the words in the book we know He authored how on earth can you know what is right and true?
The bible, if one is Christian is to be taken for truth, and not to be dismissed because you as a mere human disagree.
No one said God was contained wholly in a book, but the book contains His Word and what it contains you either follow and trust or you don't.

MBG
See you may believe the Bible is directly the Word of God, but many people don't. There is nothing that proves that as fact, it's heresay. It was written by man, and men have been known to distort things to their own advantage. I know some Christians believe you can not be a "real" Christian with out taking the bible literally but that simply isn't true. I follow what God has led me to follow. I trust in God. I don't need a book to tell me how to do that for me, I much prefer to look to God for those instructions. That's all I'm saying.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,642 posts, read 30,256,059 times
Reputation: 30184
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't think he lied, I just don't think it's as cut and dry as many may think. I also don't think that just because Jesus was said to have said something in the bible that it means there is nothing beyond the bible.

I don't know what faith you are but I am Christian. So again I agree we disagree on many levels.
I am Christian and believe Jesus when He said I am the ONLY way to Heaven.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
1,078 posts, read 3,499,024 times
Reputation: 488
Irish, what Brit and I am saying I believe, (sorry Brit if I get this wrong) is that Christians take God for His Word... we take Him literally, and many folks who have no relationship with God, have good earthly lives.
Nothing in scripture is a mistake, nothing needs to be thrown away, and when we see others dismiss it and claim it is not God's Word and should not be taken at face value, we as Christians must call them out on it...the Bible instructs Christians to do so. Not saying you can't have faith in whatever you choose, but as a Christian I must stand up for biblical Truth it is my job, as a servant of Christ.
To deny His Word is sin, and I cannot back down on that.
You can call yourself whatever you want, but Christians do not have to agree you are part of His Body of believers, because we do not share the same beliefs.
Your faith is yours, no one will tell you not to have it.
But to say Christians can believe basically anything they want, and everybody goes to heaven, and God is not to be taken literally, is not a Christian view.
MBG
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,642 posts, read 30,256,059 times
Reputation: 30184
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
See you may believe the Bible is directly the Word of God, but many people don't. There is nothing that proves that as fact, it's heresay. It was written by man, and men have been known to distort things to their own advantage. I know some Christians believe you can not be a "real" Christian with out taking the bible literally but that simply isn't true. I follow what God has led me to follow. I trust in God. I don't need a book to tell me how to do that for me, I much prefer to look to God for those instructions. That's all I'm saying.
It is the inspired Word of God, I believe it is the direct Word of God just like it says it is.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
1,078 posts, read 3,499,024 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
See you may believe the Bible is directly the Word of God, but many people don't. There is nothing that proves that as fact, it's heresay. It was written by man, and men have been known to distort things to their own advantage. I know some Christians believe you can not be a "real" Christian with out taking the bible literally but that simply isn't true. I follow what God has led me to follow. I trust in God. I don't need a book to tell me how to do that for me, I much prefer to look to God for those instructions. That's all I'm saying.
God said it is His Word either you have faith in Him or your don't. I TRUST HIM....
MBG
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:52 PM
 
508 posts, read 1,549,035 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well I can't help you with that. My faith is very personal to me. I do not reject the bible, I just don't think it stops there. There is a difference. I don't believe it was ever meant to be taken literally and I think there is a lot of man's influence permeated through out. But I find it hard to believe that you do not agree that one's relationship with God is personal. That is my only point, that I know for myself that God approves of my beliefs. If He didn't I don't think He would have worked so many miracles into my life. That's all I'm saying. You don't need to agree, just accept that because I don't have the same beliefs as you that it doesn't make my beliefs wrong for me. Yours are fine for you but they would go against who I believe God to be. Faith being based on belief and not fact we all need to agree to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
In Matthew 7, Jesus said "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few."
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok whatever....again you are a literalist, I am not. I don't think God is contained on or by the pages of a book.

How can you say you don't reject the bible right after you reject the words of Christ from the Bible?
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Between Here and There
3,684 posts, read 11,000,514 times
Reputation: 1658
Well if all Christians believed the same thing then there wouldn't be so many denominations of Christian would there? So there are many differences amongst Christians, but we are all still Christians if we believe that Jesus is the Son of God and he died for our sins. That is what Christian is, so I am Christian.
 
Old 06-13-2007, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Between Here and There
3,684 posts, read 11,000,514 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
How can you say you don't reject the bible right after you reject the words of Christ from the Bible?
Again saying that those words are from Christ is based on the belief that men didn't alter it at all. Now considering it was written decades after Christ died and the church wanted people to follow Christian faith, don't you think it would be handy to insert a few passages saying that if one does not worship God the way we Christians do then they will go to hell....hmmmmm, I would think that would raise Sunday attendance and tithings a bit, don't you? Again you can believe what you want, I don't believe that God is so small that he is contained by or on the pages of one book. I do accept that the bible was inspired by events that did happen, but I don't think man had no influence on what is written in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top