U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
OMG! Gizmo....except for the Jesus thing maybe I am a Jew!
LOL... I've actually thought that about you, which is probably why we get along. Not that I don't get along with Christians (I do have many Christian friends), but there's a definite difference in our way of thinking. Reform Jews in particular don't take the Bible/Torah literally, and instead we use it as a "guide for life." We're taught that goodness comes from the heart, and is shown through your actions in life - not how loudly you can shout "PRAISE JESUS!"

Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
As a Christian I must BELIEVE that, not just assume it. I think for myself, and I trust Him completely, one can do both.
And you have your beliefs, which I respect, but you by no means would call yourself Christian.
Christians just for the record, are not those who call themselves so, but are followers of Christ, by our fruit we are known, not by what we claim, if you produce rotten fruit you can call yourself Christian that does not make you one.
Not sure if you're confused or if I am (about your post), but I'm a Jew... so no, I'd never call myself a Christian - LOL. I also feel that Christians come in all "flavors", so what YOU consider "Christian behavior" isn't necessarily true either. We all have our own beliefs, which is what makes this world interesting, but I think it's important to respect other people's beliefs - no matter what they choose to call themselves.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Good way to take half quotes and scripture out of context!! OH MY GOODNESSS!!!
I might get flamed for stating the obvious, but isn't that what Christians are famous for?? MANY debates I've had with Christians result in half-quotes, mis-interpretations (or at least "questionable" interpretations), and skewing the Bible's words to suit one's agenda. And that's why people like Irishmom & myself don't use it as a handbook, but prefer to form our own opinions - with religion as our GUIDE.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I might get flamed for stating the obvious, but isn't that what Christians are famous for?? MANY debates I've had with Christians result in half-quotes, mis-interpretations (or at least "questionable" interpretations), and skewing the Bible's words to suit one's agenda. And that's why people like Irishmom & myself don't use it as a handbook, but prefer to form our own opinions - with religion as our GUIDE.
LOL....well I have to say the only time I quote scripture is when I'm asked or to post in opposition to what I consider close minded. So yes I would have to agree with you that is what Christians are famous for...LOL

But since evidently I've been judged not a Christian it really doesn't matter anyway.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
LOL....well I have to say the only time I quote scripture is when I'm asked or to post in opposition to what I consider close minded. So yes I would have to agree with you that is what Christians are famous for...LOL

But since evidently I've been judged not a Christian it really doesn't matter anyway.
Touche. But I think we both know that only YOU and whoever is up there (or not up there, for that matter) can judge... I personally think you show more Christian-like behavior than many "die-hard" Christians I've met. But that's just my interpretation of what a Christian should be, and obviously we all have different opinions on that.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,498,090 times
Quote:
Not sure if you're confused or if I am (about your post), but I'm a Jew... so no, I'd never call myself a Christian - LOL. I also feel that Christians come in all "flavors", so what YOU consider "Christian behavior" isn't necessarily true either. We all have our own beliefs, which is what makes this world interesting, but I think it's important to respect other people's beliefs - no matter what they choose to call themselves.
You said that I was assuming...I was saying, I as a Christian must... sorry...I know you are Jewish. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

The Word of God the Bible that Christians follow tells us how to discern who is Christian and who is not, and that we must discern.... to be faithful to God I must discern.

MBG

Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I know some people who do that, but I would not call them Christian. Sad that that is who you see God's people. That makes me very sad.
I am very glad that I don't do that.
But see IrishMom did just that, quoted many verses way out of context, to support her view and not what the bible actually says.
I will start a thread on just that.
MBG

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Yup it does sound confusing doesn't it? Like you I think He will make the right decision though.
Not confusing to those who actually read it...
MBG

Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,416,008 times
Quote:
LOL... We're taught that goodness comes from the heart, and is shown through your actions in life - not how loudly you can shout "PRAISE JESUS!"

And Christians are not taught the same thing??

(boy, are we ever off topic!)

Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And Christians are not taught the same thing??

(boy, are we ever off topic!)
Ain't that the truth!! BTW why would a Jew be taught to praise Jesus??
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or