Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Not confusing to those who actually read it...
MBG
Maybe you should read the post I was replying to instead of taking another personal shot at me. Oh right though you are Christian and I'm not so I guess that makes it ok for you, right?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,869 times
Quote:
I know some people who do that, but I would not call them Christian.

But see IrishMom did just that, quoted many verses way out of context, to support her view and not what the bible actually says.
MBG
Being the authority on who is and who isn't Christian I'm sure you wouldn't call anyone that isn't exactly like you a Christian.

I don't find those quotes to be out of context, I find them to be supportive of my view and only posted them to show Southward Bound where in the bible she could find verses to support it. I don't claim the bible as the foundation for my personal beliefs, I claim God as my foundation for those beliefs. So to each is own.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:24 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Ain't that the truth!! BTW why would a Jew be taught to praise Jesus??
MBG
I was saying that in comparison to some Christians, who think screaming "Praise Jesus" makes them good/pious people... obviously Jews aren't taught to say that, lol. But you can substitute God/Allah/Buddha/etc., and it would also apply to the rest of us.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:34 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Blueberry wrote: "I believe I'm in the minority of Christians for I'm not convinced all babies go to heaven. I believe children are sanctified through their parents."

Oh Blueberry, what are we going to do with you? It sounds like you're saying that a completely innocent newborn baby has not only inherited the parent's appearance but also inherited their beliefs. That is a truly strange concept. I can understand an unclean baby as a baby who needs a change of diapers but I can't understand "unclean" as a description of a baby's soul (not that I believe in souls).
I'm not flaming you for this but I do think you need to go to your room.
I am so amazed I haven't been flamed yet! I must be a truly awful person to think some babies don't go to heaven.

However, I believe in a merciful God, so perhaps these little ones are sent to a special place where others who don't believe in a literal hell are consigned to an eternity of changing their diapers! Will that convince you to come over to my side?!

As far as going to my room... well, dh has been telling me I need to go there, too!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:15 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
I know some people who do that, but I would not call them Christian. Sad that that is who you see God's people. That makes me very sad.
I am very glad that I don't do that.
I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide who's a Christian based on what fits your mold... like it or not, they're also Christians in the basic sense of the word - they pray to Jesus, attend church, "follow the word", and so on. I'm sure you do & say things that I might not consider "Christian behavior", but that doesn't mean I'd say you aren't one. I'll claim all the Jewish people who are idiots, so you have to claim yours! But seriously, I don't judge an entire group based on the bad apples... so this doesn't mean I hate Christians or anything, even if MANY of them do that "selective reading" of the Bible.

Quote:
But see IrishMom did just that, quoted many verses way out of context, to support her view and not what the bible actually says.
No she didn't... she was simply responding to another poster, who requested verses that fit what IrishMom said. Her original thoughts were her OWN, and didn't require any scripture to back them up.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ah see we do agree. I do feel that God has revealed to me through His actions in my life that I'm doing just fine with my beliefs. So yes the Bible is a guide but it's not the end of what He has to say. Look to your own experiences to find out what He has to say to you personally. I did and I'm quite happy with the answers I've found.
Hi Irishmom,

Since it seems you think you are being dumped on (and in some instances you probably are), I'll try not to do that and I'm sorry if it appears I am.

The Bible tells us to test the spirits (the ones we or others "hear" or "feel"), to test ourselves, and to not be deceived. In fact, we're told not be be deceived over and over. My understanding of testing the spirits and testing ourselves are to see if they line up with God's written word. If that Word hasn't been accurately or sufficiently preserved, I don't know how we can possibly conduct any test.

Some people think they will know in their hearts if something is right, but Jeremiah 17:9 says that the heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Some people who "know" they are right because their hearts tell them so are simply deceived by that heart.

I think people here are simply concerned for you. I know you think everything is A-OK, and as far as I'm concerned that's fine because you will have to face God on your own terms just like the rest of us will. Only He truly knows the heart, that's why He's the righteous judge. However, there are dire warnings in Revelation about people who add or take away from the words of prophecy. Since I'm one who thinks the whole Bible is prophetic on some level, I'm concerned about anyone who picks and chooses what parts of the Bible to believe in.

So, in love, I just don't want you to be deceived. Jesus said that not everyone who comes to Him on Judgment Day, claiming to have done deeds for Him, will make the cut. He will say, "Depart from Me, for I never knew you." From reading your posts, I do believe you love Jesus. You have stated many times that you believe in Him and His precepts. However, in the book of James we are told that "even the demons believe, and shudder." Belief is a huge part of our salvation experience, but it's not everything. So all I'm asking is that you test the spirits, test yourself, and not be deceived. I'm more than willing to leave the results up to you and God.

~Blueberry

Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know some awful people who pray to Jesus every day, and wonderful people who don't pray at all... if God would rather send the awful people to Heaven, simply because they "accept God/Jesus/Allah/etc.", I want no part of such a God.
I absolutely agree!!!

Even Jesus said that not everyone who comes to Him on Judgement Day and says, "Didn't I do such and such in your name?" is going to get into heaven. I don't believe for one minute that those truly awful people are followers of Christ; they are followers of themselves! However, I believe with true repentance and a cleansed heart, they can go to heaven; however, if there isn't a change in their heart and actions, I'd truly question the new "faith."

The name of Jesus isn't a Get-out-of-Hell-Free card! But some Christians and some Christian sects throughout history have taught that it is. Personally, I'm glad I'm not going to be in their shoes when I come face to face with God.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
I know we are way off topic now but I'm going with the flow in the direction the topic has taken in recent exchanges between posters to illustrate something that I think is important and relevant here.

I was brought up in a traditional religious atmosphere (Catholic as a child, later Protestant). We went to church on some Sundays, whether we needed to or not. I learned all the right things to believe, and was confirmed in the church. I considered myself very much a Christian. If *anyone* had so much as suggested that I am not, I would have been very hurt and offended. How dare they?! Over the years I did good things, I was a good person. I volunteered my time (lots of it) I gave donations to charity. I helped buy groceries for a single mom without a job, I took people in who temporarily didn't have a place to live. I didn't steal, cheat, lie. Well, maybe a white lie now and then. But that of course was so that somebody's feelings wouldn't be hurt. (You know how that goes.) Things were OK, but something was missing.

I did a lot of searching for that something everywhere but the Bible. These were pleasant excursions, but that's all they were. Finally I realized the need could ony be met by accepting Christ.

I realize now, I see it so very clearly, that all those years when I considered my self an enlightened Christian, I really was neither - neither enlightened nor a Christian. I do understand how, had someone pointed out to me then that I was not a Christian, that I would have been offended. You see, I was convinced that I was a Christian. Absolutely. No two ways about it.

I think this is where some of you are. And, no, you won't believe me. You are convinced. I know -- been there.

God opened my eyes only after I accepted what He offered - salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus, and the indwelling of His Holy Spirit forever.

We have to take a step forward first in order to be able to look back and see where we've been. It's scary sometimes, but taking that step in faith will bring the assurance that we are on solid ground.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-14-2007 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,088 times
Quote:
So, Yeshua lied when He said there was One Way? I personally accept Him and His Word. And we who believe His Word can know, it is a promise, in His Word.
But then again you and I aren't of the same faith, so no use bickering here. Have a great day!!
MBG
OK, but you didn't answer the question. Do babies that are not capable of accepting Christ go to Hell? Also, please quote a scripture that supports your answer.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Blueberry wrote:
Quote:
I am so amazed I haven't been flamed yet! I must be a truly awful person to think some babies don't go to heaven.
It was an unexpected comment, I've got to admit. Since I'm a unbeliever it sounds like even if I married the most saintly woman and we had a child that it wouldn't be a normal child and would be some sort of unclean spirit zombie child like they had in the movie Children of the Corn. Wow, I'm glad I don't have any kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam