U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a mosque be built at ground zero?
Yes 8 33.33%
No 13 54.17%
No opinion 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,533,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop93 View Post
They are more than welcome to build a Mosque (freedom of religion) but to build it at that location is a slap in the face to the few survivors and victims families.
Why? Isn't that unfairly associating moderate muslims with religious extremists? How can their presence be unwelcome to anyone who knows not every muslim is a terrorist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM

56,087 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
What do you think?
Question worded to incite.

There is no mosque going to be built "at ground zero".

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop93 View Post
I have no problem with the religion of Islam.

I think the call to prayer is beautiful......But not on the grounds that Muslims took the lives of thousands of Americans.

They are more than welcome to build a Mosque (freedom of religion) but to build it at that location is a slap in the face to the few survivors and victims families.

They should choose a better location.
We're more than a few. About 15,000 got out alive that day. Some were Muslims, just like some who died.

And some probably don't want this mosque in the neighborhood, but most just don't care. People who work in lower Manhattan already know that Muslims are holding their services in the damaged coat factory store. The building looks like crap since it was damaged on 9/11. A new building will make Park Place look better.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 PM

[quote=Gplex;14351094]And why SHOULD a mosque be built in the place of the twin towers?[/quote]

Again--what is the point of your wording choice? To infer that a mosque is being built "in place of the twin towers" is a) stupid, since most intelligent people know what's being built at the construction site, and b) designed for nothing but to start an argument on false premises.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,732,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
yea, so...what's the big deal?
Other people's rights to worship as the please means I have the right to not worship... as I please.
Yes it is. The muslims that will worship there had nothing to do with 9-11. It shows we took a "big boy" view of the debate and stood up for our country's ideals instead of giving in to our fears and insecurities.
Cowardly like invading two countries and killing a couple hundred thousand people in retaliation? We are real *******, aren't we? How's that cave Osama? Bet you wish you could sleep in a bed like me!
How about we don't want to be bitter and full of hate like you?
It's private property... are you saying the owner(s) can't choose what they do and don't do with their own property? And no, it isn't the only logical option. While the loss of life was tragic and horrific in scope, from an architectural perspective the WTC complex was ugly as sin and I doubt many people actually miss the structures themselves. People saying it will be symbol of how we didn't let the terrorists win are clearly too insecure with their country's place in the world. Islamic fundamentalists could knock down a hundred skyscrapers in the US and still not keep us down. We are mightier than mere glass towers that were designed in an architectural dark age. It doesn't have to be rebuilt to prove anything.

Finally, I will never believe in Islam, but just as long as I am free to believe as I want I will give the same courtesy to them. Build the mosque and let go of hate; the past is over and it's time to move on.
I seriously doubt a mosque will make as much money as the WTC did or a new WTC would.

You didn't address anything I said. You just sat back and called me hateful.

"Moderate" muslims had their chance to separate themselves from extremist.
A CARTOON cause bloody riots. A CARTOON!!!! Yet their fellow muslim killing themselves with a bunch of innocent people, barely stirred up anything. From a community not known for their silence. Their silent endorsement is something I will not ignore!

This act was committed in the name of islam, and you want to spit in the faces of the love ones who visit, by building a mosque. Why don't you go and say we should put a hitler memorial in auschwitz.

"The only logical option to the owners of the WTC is to rebuild it.."

Last edited by Gplex; 05-26-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Again--what is the point of your wording choice? To infer that a mosque is being built "in place of the twin towers" is a) stupid, since most intelligent people know what's being built at the construction site, and b) designed for nothing but to start an argument on false premises.
Question: Should a mosque be built at ground zero?

And I ask "why" .

Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 PM

397 posts, read 534,663 times
truth is people that are so close minded or dim witted that think that all muslims are terrorist and whatnot are terrorizing muslims everyday. whether its here on this forum or in the day to day life. i cant even count how many of my friends families have been degraded just for being muslims. one of these people so filled with hate make rude comments on 911 if not everday towards muslims. the stares the insults and for what? we werent involved with any of that terrorism crap. those were terrorist, sure they were muslim but that doesnt mean every muslim should be treated as a terrorist cuz thats not something we believe. if they were christians would that be part of christianity? would all christians be treated like terrorist? no. so why do you treat all the muslims like that? you think that muslim sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, cousins, etc. werent lost in the towers? muslims died in the towers too just as well as christians, americans, whatever you believe. but instead of comforting the muslims, even if ts just the ones in america that have no desire to be a terrorist, even if its just the muslims that los thier loved ones in the towers, and even overseas, you think your making their life any better or easier by calling them names, staring, putting them down?

and people keep saying "why dont u go overseas, you moderate muslims, and stop them? ya let me get plane ticket and stop some crazy people that the strongest army in the world cant stop not to mention they think that american muslims are infadels too. not even that let me save up the money and drop everything im doing and quit my job to do what anyone could do. what, itsy responsibility to stop them because im muslim? id have just a good of a chance as an atheist or christian or budhist or whatever you are. please, save your breath and think before you say what your going to say.

and honestly i probably wouldnt go to that mosque if they built it there just because id be afraid of someone, whether they be muslim or non muslim, harrassing me just because it was time to go to prayer and that was the closest one. people will be people.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
truth is people that are so close minded or dim witted that think that all muslims are terrorist and whatnot are terrorizing muslims everyday. whether its here on this forum or in the day to day life. i cant even count how many of my friends families have been degraded just for being muslims. one of these people so filled with hate make rude comments on 911 if not everday towards muslims. the stares the insults and for what? we werent involved with any of that terrorism crap. those were terrorist, sure they were muslim but that doesnt mean every muslim should be treated as a terrorist cuz thats not something we believe. if they were christians would that be part of christianity? would all christians be treated like terrorist? no. so why do you treat all the muslims like that? you think that muslim sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, cousins, etc. werent lost in the towers? muslims died in the towers too just as well as christians, americans, whatever you believe. but instead of comforting the muslims, even if ts just the ones in america that have no desire to be a terrorist, even if its just the muslims that los thier loved ones in the towers, and even overseas, you think your making their life any better or easier by calling them names, staring, putting them down?

and people keep saying "why dont u go overseas, you moderate muslims, and stop them? ya let me get plane ticket and stop some crazy people that the strongest army in the world cant stop not to mention they think that american muslims are infadels too. not even that let me save up the money and drop everything im doing and quit my job to do what anyone could do. what, itsy responsibility to stop them because im muslim? id have just a good of a chance as an atheist or christian or budhist or whatever you are. please, save your breath and think before you say what your going to say.

and honestly i probably wouldnt go to that mosque if they built it there just because id be afraid of someone, whether they be muslim or non muslim, harrassing me just because it was time to go to prayer and that was the closest one. people will be people.
Anyone who reads the news, knows that muslims kill more muslims then anyone else.
No one thinks that ALL muslims are terrorist, just that most terrorist are muslims.

Degraded? No, criticism is NOT degradation.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM

397 posts, read 534,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Anyone who reads the news, knows that muslims kill more muslims then anyone else.
No one thinks that ALL muslims are terrorist, just that most terrorist are muslims.

Degraded? No, criticism is NOT degradation.

o trust me, there are some people ive spoken to that have asked me why do muslims think that its ok to terrorize or commit suicide. you just obviously havent come into contact with one of these people. be glad you havent.

and btw ctriticism is not any better than degrading. either way critisizing is just a nicer way of saying that you judge, in this case, muslims for what they believe. if im wrong i stand corrected but it sounds like your saying that its ok to critisize muslims instead of degrade them.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,050,046 times
How about we build a lighthouse there instead. Infintely more useful than any church. Or a state-of-the-art genetics and microbiology lab. Or a park. Or new commercial office centers. Or a hospital. Or a police station. Or a fire station. Perhaps a small zoo. Maybe a homeless shelter. What about a school?

Any of those are preferable to a religious structure of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or