U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a mosque be built at ground zero?
Yes 8 33.33%
No 13 54.17%
No opinion 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:20 PM

783 posts, read 1,184,344 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

Last edited by Salt & Light; 05-26-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,220,001 times
Why not? Did we white-out "freedom of religion" in the constitution after 9-11 too?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,735,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Why not? Did we white-out "freedom of religion" in the constitution after 9-11 too?
And why SHOULD a mosque be built in the place of the twin towers?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,592,462 times
Moderator cut: deleted

This is a major propaganda victory in the war against terrorism.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-28-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
And why SHOULD a mosque be built in the place of the twin towers?
Freedom.

Equal opportunity.

Refusing to vilify an entire group based on the actions of a minority in that group.

Being better than our enemies.

Need I go on?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:15 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,735,797 times
Quote:
Freedom.
We have freedom with or without their mosque.

Quote:
Equal opportunity.
Equal opportunity means other people have to build their religious Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Quote:
Refusing to vilify an entire group based on the actions of a minority in that group.
Yes, giving a religion free stuff is the same as "refusing to vilify an entire group".

Quote:
Being better than our enemies.
You mean more cowardly.

Quote:
Need I go on?
Yes go on, by all means.

If anyone wants a mosque there, they need to buy the land and pay for the building themselves. To even suggest that other people should pay for another religions "house of pray" just show how afraid you are.

The only logical option to the owners of the WTC is to rebuild it..

Last edited by june 7th; 05-28-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM

43 posts, read 136,202 times
I have no problem with the religion of Islam.

I think the call to prayer is beautiful......But not on the grounds that Muslims took the lives of thousands of Americans.

They are more than welcome to build a Mosque (freedom of religion) but to build it at that location is a slap in the face to the few survivors and victims families.

They should choose a better location.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,560,432 times
I think there's already been too much screaming and yelling about this, particularly in the Great Debates forum.

I also think that since Community Board 1 just voted its approval of the construction, the matter is settled and no longer open for debate. For those of you who don't live in New York City: for a Community Board to approve some project--ANY project--is no small feat. The people who actually live in that neighborhood don't have a problem with the mosque, for the most part. So it really isn't anyone else's business.

Incidentally, I notice that the OP specifically refers to a "Muslim mosque." How many other kinds are there?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
We have freedom with or without their mosque.
yea, so...what's the big deal?
Quote:
Equal opportunity means other people have to build their religious crap? WTF!
Other people's rights to worship as the please means I have the right to not worship... as I please.

Quote:
Yes, giving a religion free stuff is the same as "refusing to vilify an entire group".
Yes it is. The muslims that will worship there had nothing to do with 9-11. It shows we took a "big boy" view of the debate and stood up for our country's ideals instead of giving in to our fears and insecurities.

Quote:
You mean more cowardly.
Cowardly like invading two countries and killing a couple hundred thousand people in retaliation? We are real *******, aren't we? How's that cave Osama? Bet you wish you could sleep in a bed like me!

Quote:
Yes go on, by all means.
How about we don't want to be bitter and full of hate like you?

Quote:
If anyone wants a mosque there, they need to buy the land and pay for the building themselves. To even suggest that other people should pay for another religions "house of pray" just show how afraid you are.

The only logical option to the owners of the WTC is to rebuild it..
It's private property... are you saying the owner(s) can't choose what they do and don't do with their own property? And no, it isn't the only logical option. While the loss of life was tragic and horrific in scope, from an architectural perspective the WTC complex was ugly as sin and I doubt many people actually miss the structures themselves. People saying it will be symbol of how we didn't let the terrorists win are clearly too insecure with their country's place in the world. Islamic fundamentalists could knock down a hundred skyscrapers in the US and still not keep us down. We are mightier than mere glass towers that were designed in an architectural dark age. It doesn't have to be rebuilt to prove anything.

Finally, I will never believe in Islam, but just as long as I am free to believe as I want I will give the same courtesy to them. Build the mosque and let go of hate; the past is over and it's time to move on.

Last edited by Chango; 05-26-2010 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 06:15 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,987,323 times
Differences in religion causing people to hate each other Who would have thought that would happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or