U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,127,604 times

Advertisements

Detroit Bus Authority Sued Over Islam Ads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,536,331 times
Isn't there a difference between freedom of speech and asking an agency to accept a paid advertisement? Geller can scream and yell until her tongue falls out--but no transit agency has to accept any ads with any sort of religious overtones, since there's supposed to be a separation of church and state, and transit systems tend to be municipal agencies serving the public.

Incidentally, I have not seen the ads here in New York--but I have definitely seen posters that are overtly pro-Islam. Evidently, MTA isn't discriminating against anybody; if you put up the money for an ad, they'll take it!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 AM

478 posts, read 654,297 times
I'm not against this woman having her poster up for any reason other than I think it is inappropriate to have ANY religious ads, be they pro or anti religion- in a city/state/fed owned and/or operated business or endeavor. If it's a public business then, yes, they have a right to pick and choose their sponsors/advertisers. But that doesn't seem to be the case here, nor the issue so much as it is the fact that she wants to post her flier in a place where there happen to be a seriously concentrated amount of people who would find her words distasteful and offensive; and, honestly, THAT shouldn't matter. The issue is whether or not she has a right to say what she wants in the forum she is suggesting and, apparently Miami caved and said OK, so then that sets a standard for elsewhere, in my opinion. As does the community standard, which was not described here, but basically if there are other similar ads for family planning, or any ads for social or economic outlets then why should hers be under scrutiny simply due to how some people might react to it?!?

And again, if she's been given the right to post elsewhere (Miami) according to constitutional law, then she should have the same right acknowledged from state to state fairly and consistently, period. And, honestly, despite the fact that many people in Detroit may LOVE being Muslim, perhaps her sign will help a few people, or maybe even just ONE person. In which case, she's doing good. And as well setting a precedent to protect our freedom of speech. So either way her fight is worthwhile, in my opinion. However, if her goal really is to help people and not just create a ruckus- which she is definitely doing- in addition to fighting for her rights, she might be wise to simply look into other, less hostile avenues to share her message in order to reach those who will benefit from it...

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,620,785 times
I donít agree with her message, but I will support her right to free speech. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion are the keys to solving this problem. If she was yelling fire in a crowded building it would be acceptable to limit her free speech rights. If she was posting her view in a public area and had the money to rent the location without causing a panic, than I would think she had the right to say what she likes.
These two freedoms are a two edged sword, and to protect the freedoms of us all we need to accept the freedom of the one who thinks differently also.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 AM

478 posts, read 654,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
These two freedoms are a two edged sword, and to protect the freedoms of us all we need to accept the freedom of the one who thinks differently also.
That is the truth. The key to a healthy, free society is to preserve the rights of each INDIVIDUAL, and NOT to adhere to a standard set by that which a majority or group deems is best for the group as a whole. Society is made up of individual people, and the happiness of said society is determined by the degree to which each individual's rights are respected and acknowledged. Once you remove the rights of one individual in order to please the majority of society, EVERYONE'S rights will soon be gone...

And honestly, as I think about this issue further, I'm becoming more and more glad this woman is fighting to have her word spread- particularly in Detroit where she knows there are a lot of people of the faith she is clearly trying to save people from. Why? Not just because of this particular faith, but because I am all for anything that brings attention to the harms that ANY and ALL extremist religions cause; any religion or faith that encourages it's members/followers take themselves and the world so seriously that they would sacrifice kindness, love, humor- and even family in favor of strict adherence to some organized, manmade religion is spiritually corrupt, on SO many levels.

But while I applaud this woman for her issue with religious persecution, because she singled out ONE religion only, that also leads me to worry further about her, and her true agenda...I wonder if she will be steadfast in really helping to lead these followers AWAY: not just from THEIR religion, but away from organized religion completely (in which case, I applaud her). Or, does she plan to lure them away, but then towards ANOTHER, different religion: as in hers (in which case, then she is truly a disturbed, and misguided human being)....

Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,050,422 times
As a city-sponsored transit agency, they have the power to accept or reject religious advertisements. If they accept one religious advertisement, however, they have to accept them all, or reject them all.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM

30,881 posts, read 31,773,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I don’t agree with her message, but I will support her right to free speech. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion are the keys to solving this problem. If she was yelling fire in a crowded building it would be acceptable to limit her free speech rights. If she was posting her view in a public area and had the money to rent the location without causing a panic, than I would think she had the right to say what she likes.

Here is the wording of the ad.... "Fatwah on your head? Is your family or community threatening you? Leaving Islam? Got Questions? Get answers!" and provides a Web address that links to organizations that serve Muslim apostates.

What is it about this ad that you disagree with? I see nothing at all wrong with it. I suppose the only reason the Muslims are upset is because they are protecting their own interests and according to sharia the penalty for leaving Islam is death....That makes it very difficult to leave that oppressive religion....The ad simply offers help.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,984,404 times
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the ad. Do we live in a country where freedom of speech is protected or not? At least when I "lapsed" from Catholicism, I was not persecuted by the Catholics. Absolutist and antidemocratic religions should not dominate our freedom of speech.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,536,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
As a city-sponsored transit agency, they have the power to accept or reject religious advertisements. If they accept one religious advertisement, however, they have to accept them all, or reject them all.
Agreed! This isn't actually an issue; it's more like her attempt to put the spotlight on herself and her views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or