U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times
Reputation: 2539

Advertisements

Quote:
im saying gravity can be disproven, by someone who knows alot more about science than i do but what doesnt make sense to me is that you yourself, just said that evolution can be proven wrong...
The fact that something can be proven wrong doesn't make it wrong. If there's evidence to support it then it is logical to believe that said claim is true.

Quote:
if it can be proven wrong that obviously means its not right, or not at the moment at least...
Just because something's falsifiable doesn't mean there is evidence that proves it is wrong. It means that it is testable, and a test could prove it wrong, meaning that is someone conducted a test and found replicable results that disprove x claim, then said claim is disproven. Evolution is proven.

Quote:
so your trying to prove something that can be disproven... by the same people that try and prove it.. meaning you...
You're completely ignorant of science. Evolution isn't disproven. When something is falsifiable, that doesn't mean there is evidence that proves it is wrong. It means that it is able to be tested and that if a test found replicable results that falsified the previous conclusion, then said claim is disproven.

Quote:
isnt this some sort of circular reasoning? that you can be right and wrong? or proven right and proven wrong? so whats the arguement if it can be both right and wrong...? and how does that even make sense? something cant be right if its wrong...
It's not circular reasoning, you just need to learn what science is and how it works. I didn't say that I was right and wrong. You just don't understand what it means when a claim is falsifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,731,477 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
im saying gravity can be disproven, by someone who knows alot more about science than i do but what doesnt make sense to me is that you yourself, just said that evolution can be proven wrong...

if it can be proven wrong that obviously means its not right, or not at the moment at least...

so your trying to prove something that can be disproven... by the same people that try and prove it.. meaning you...

isnt this some sort of circular reasoning? that you can be right and wrong? or proven right and proven wrong? so whats the arguement if it can be both right and wrong...? and how does that even make sense? something cant be right if its wrong...
If you can't prove someone wrong, how will you know they are right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 PM
 
397 posts, read 534,486 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The fact that something can be proven wrong doesn't make it wrong. If there's evidence to support it then it is logical to believe that said claim is true.



Just because something's falsifiable doesn't mean there is evidence that proves it is wrong. It means that it is testable, and a test could prove it wrong, meaning that is someone conducted a test and found replicable results that disprove x claim, then said claim is disproven. Evolution is proven.



You're completely ignorant of science. Evolution isn't disproven. When something is falsifiable, that doesn't mean there is evidence that proves it is wrong. It means that it is able to be tested and that if a test found replicable results that falsified the previous conclusion, then said claim is disproven.



It's not circular reasoning, you just need to learn what science is and how it works. I didn't say that I was right and wrong. You just don't understand what it means when a claim is falsifiable.

the statement you made... the fact that something can be proven wrong doesnt mean its wrong... how does that make sense? so if i say there is a god and it can be "proven" wrong, that doesnt mean its wrong? what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,731,477 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
the statement you made... the fact that something can be proven wrong doesnt mean its wrong... how does that make sense? so if i say there is a god and it can be "proven" wrong, that doesnt mean its wrong? what?
Is there over a million dollars in my bank? Could be proven right or wrong by looking at the balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times
Reputation: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
the statement you made... the fact that something can be proven wrong doesnt mean its wrong... how does that make sense? so if i say there is a god and it can be "proven" wrong, that doesnt mean its wrong? what?
Do you understand anything? Falsifiability in science doesn't mean that there is evidence that proves the claim wrong. It means that it is theoretically possible to prove it wrong. Maybe these links will help you understand.

Falsifiability - Popper's Emphasis On Falsifiability

Philosophy of science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 Falsifiability – Testable? Debunking Primal Therapy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
 
397 posts, read 534,486 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
If you can't prove someone wrong, how will you know they are right?
because it hasnt been proven wrong...? what do u mean? the quran hasnt been proven wrong since the time it was authored... but you believe in something that can already be proven wrong...

just because you dont believe in Allah does not mean he does not exist, hes just the unseen. i just believe in a different unseen, than you do i guess if thats how you want to say it. but you cant disprove the quran... so if you cant disprove the quran but you can disprove evolution i think im going to go with the one that makes more sense...

"just because it can be proven wrong doesnt mean its wrong"? that sounds right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times
Reputation: 2539
Sukrill, I think you need to take a basic biology class. They'll explain the scientific method to you and what falsifiability is in science. Saying something can be proven wrong doesn't mean it is proven wrong. All it means is that it is theoretically possible to perform a test that could replicate results that could prove it is wrong. Also, you're assuming that if something hasn't been disproven then that makes it hold valid truth. This is not so. Something holds valid truth if it can and has been proven true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
 
397 posts, read 534,486 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Sukrill, I think you need to take a basic biology class. They'll explain the scientific method to you and what falsifiability is in science.
is this before or after im forced to accept that evolution is true or ill fail the class, basically taking away my freedom of religion and what i believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Saying something can be proven wrong doesn't mean it is proven wrong.
what? if i say this can be proven wrong and i prove it wrong that means it can be proven wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
All it means is that it is theoretically possible to perform a test that could replicate results that could prove it is wrong.
so your saying that theres a chance it can be proven wrong but ultimately it doesnt mean its wrong... like you conduct an experiment and 90% of the time it works but 10% of the time it doesnt... so your saying theres a chance with theories like the theory of evolution? theres a chance it could happen or a chance any theory could happen right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Also, you're assuming that if something hasn't been disproven then that makes it hold valid truth.
ya, at least for the time being, until it is disproven id say it is valid truth... if you say the sky is red and everyone else says its blue then id say thats valid truth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This is not so. Something holds valid truth if it can and has been proven true.
so if i say we were created, is there anything to disprove that so far? if not is that not valid truth, at least for the time being...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,731,477 times
Reputation: 591
Because I can claim a infinite amount of things that can not be disproved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,106,815 times
Reputation: 2539
Quote:
is this before or after im forced to accept that evolution is true or ill fail the class, basically taking away my freedom of religion and what i believe?
No one's forcing you to accept evolution, although you're denying reality if you say it's wrong.


Quote:
what? if i say this can be proven wrong and i prove it wrong that means it can be proven wrong...
Do you have comprehension problems. I've explained multiple times before, but you continue to ignore it and pretend to remain oblivious.

Quote:
so your saying that theres a chance it can be proven wrong but ultimately it doesnt mean its wrong... like you conduct an experiment and 90% of the time it works but 10% of the time it doesnt... so your saying theres a chance with theories like the theory of evolution? theres a chance it could happen or a chance any theory could happen right?
I didn't say that if it were proven wrong then that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Quote:
ya, at least for the time being, until it is disproven id say it is valid truth... if you say the sky is red and everyone else says its blue then id say thats valid truth..
Wrong. For one, the sky isn't blue. It's clear. The blue rays of the sun are shorter than the yellow rays so they reflect off the earth and make the sky appear blue. The reason you can see the stars at night is because the sun rays are not reflecting off the earth. Two, just because someone makes a claim doesn't mean it automatically exists. By your logic, aliens kidnap people in their sleep, bring them up to their spaceship then perform sexual experiments on them. If one can not prove it is true, then it would be illogical to believe it.



Quote:
so if i say we were created, is there anything to disprove that so far? if not is that not valid truth, at least for the time being...?
You can't prove we were created, therefore it would be illogical to believe. You don't seem to grasp the fact that the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top