U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
 
397 posts, read 534,663 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
No one's forcing you to accept evolution, although you're denying reality if you say it's wrong.
kind of. if i say i dont believe in that and that goes against what i believe and my religion and end up refusing to do the assignment then ya i fail. even though i thought we were in a country where you could believe what you want to believe without any knid of punishment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Do you have comprehension problems. I've explained multiple times before, but you continue to ignore it and pretend to remain oblivious.
im not pretending anything, your just not making sense, your confusing the hell out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I didn't say that if it were proven wrong then that doesn't mean it's wrong.
"The fact that something can be proven wrong doesn't make it wrong."... you just said that same thing two entries ago... confusing? yes i think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Wrong. For one, the sky isn't blue. It's clear. The blue rays of the sun are shorter than the yellow rays so they reflect off the earth and make the sky appear blue. The reason you can see the stars at night is because the sun rays are not reflecting off the earth. Two, just because someone makes a claim doesn't mean it automatically exists. By your logic, aliens kidnap people in their sleep, bring them up to their spaceship then perform sexual experiments on them. If one can not prove it is true, then it would be illogical to believe it.
i love how you took that into a literal sense, of course i know why the sky 'appears' blue. i was just using that as an example. heres another one. a turtle is a reptile... we can agree on that... because theres proof to back it up... not a theory...the alien deal... cmon... seriously...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You can't prove we were created, therefore it would be illogical to believe. You don't seem to grasp the fact that the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.
actually i can and you cant disprove it or find a flaw in the sequence. you just choose not to believe it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,047,275 times
Reputation: 3984
it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in Allah...

Personally,....I believe you have no earthly idea what the theory of evolution is about. Contempt prior to investigation is the balliwick of the ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,109,212 times
Reputation: 2539
Quote:
kind of. if i say i dont believe in that and that goes against what i believe and my religion and end up refusing to do the assignment then ya i fail. even though i thought we were in a country where you could believe what you want to believe without any knid of punishment...
You can always do the assigment and learn something. I had bible classes in high school and I've always been an atheist, but I did the assignments anyways. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but that doesn't exempt you from doing the work.



Quote:
im not pretending anything, your just not making sense, your confusing the hell out of me.
If I'm confusing you, it would be good if you spoke with a biology professor about what falsifiability in science is.



Quote:
"The fact that something can be proven wrong doesn't make it wrong."... you just said that same thing two entries ago... confusing? yes i think so...
Did you bother to read the links I gave you?



Quote:
i love how you took that into a literal sense, of course i know why the sky 'appears' blue. i was just using that as an example. heres another one. a turtle is a reptile... we can agree on that... because theres proof to back it up... not a theory...the alien deal... cmon... seriously...?
The alien example is a good example. Many people claim to have had such experiences. According to your logic, their claims hold valid truth because they have not been disproven. Also, you still misunderstand what a theory in science is. There is overwhelming proof that backs up evolution. It's not some unsubstantiated ding dong hypothesis.


Quote:

actually i can and you cant disprove it or find a flaw in the sequence. you just choose not to believe it...
I don't believe it because you can't prove it. You're the one making the claim, which means it is up to you to supply proof that it is true. I don't have to disprove anything. If you can't prove it then there's no reason to believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,653,878 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
kind of. if i say i dont believe in that and that goes against what i believe and my religion and end up refusing to do the assignment then ya i fail. even though i thought we were in a country where you could believe what you want to believe without any knid of punishment...
Children aren't granted the same rights as adults. Once you're an adult you can quit school and believe whatever you like. If you choose to continue your education, you'll have to accept that evolution is central to the understanding of biology, whether you accept it or not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
i love how you took that into a literal sense, of course i know why the sky 'appears' blue. i was just using that as an example. heres another one. a turtle is a reptile... we can agree on that... because theres proof to back it up... not a theory...the alien deal... cmon... seriously...?
You're still misusing the word theory, even though it's been explained to you in this thread.

And to repeat what's already been said: There's a wealth of evidence to support evolution, and possibly more importantly, no evidence disproving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,884 posts, read 31,773,106 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
because it hasnt been proven wrong...? what do u mean? the quran hasnt been proven wrong since the time it was authored... but you believe in something that can already be proven wrong...
You have made this statement a number of tines, but you are wrong...The quran has hundreds of errors and contradictions...
Contradictions / Difficulties in the Qur'an


I believe it was you that said that the quran says the universe will end in the "big crunch" ...

1. The Universe is flat.
2. Because the Universe is flat it won't end with a Big Crunch
3. As of 1998, modern science has proven that the universe will expand forever.
4. The Quran, which talks about the big crunch, is false and disproved by Modern science.
5. If Science is used to prove the Quran it can be used to disprove it also.

Regarding the topic, it takes no faith at all to believe in evolution. All it takes is observation and education. There is literally tons of evidence for evolution. There is absolutely none for allah, therefore like every other myth it takes faith to actually believe there is any truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 AM
 
39,120 posts, read 10,849,315 times
Reputation: 5089
I believe I'm posting to a brick wall here, but let's try.

It takes more faith to believe in gods than in evolution, because there is a lot of consistent evidence in various scientific fields that tends to prove evolution. There is really no good evidence for any of the gods.

That there are unanswered questions about bits and bobs of evolution is true. So there are about many areas of science. But the fact remains that there is so much evidence supporting evolution that one should take it as proven beyond reasonable doubt. That is it called a theory does not mean that it's just an unproven idea; the term 'theory' in the scientific sense means that it is an explanation of a mechanism. It is a pretty much proven theory. Natural selection is regarded as a law, and that the basis of evolution.

That being so, it takes only knowledge and understanding of evolution to believe (in the sense of accepting the overwhelming weight of evidence) in it whereas, since there is no good evidence for any gods, it takes much more faith (in the sense of believing without good evidence) in gods.

Sukrill, you can believe what you like but before you pronounce on Evolution or any other branch of science, you should first, out of intellectual honesty, learn something about it, get your definitions straight and post from a position of at least some understanding of the subject, or you will just make yourself look more foolish than you probably deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,939,436 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
"The fact that something can be proven wrong doesn't make it wrong."... you just said that same thing two entries ago... confusing? yes i think so...
Simple example. Before meeting me, you guess that my eyes are green. Can that guess be proven wrong? Sure, if you look at my eyes and they are any other color, it would be proven wrong. But that doesn't mean that your guess is wrong - you won't know that until you meet me and find out.

Same thing with science. It makes specific predictions that are testable. Since they are specific and detailed, it could be that reality behaves differently and those predictions turn out to be wrong. But after testing theories in many different ways and seeing that these specific predictions are accurate we come to have confidence in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,374,932 times
Reputation: 3735
Default A quick and simple little test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
reasons why i think this...

the theory of evolution has not even been fulfilled yet but yet people believe in it...

they believe the unseen/unkown evidence will 'someday' be found...

agree or disagree??
Disagree, with loads of evidence.

Re: your first statement: "the theory of evolution has not even been fulfilled "

Supposition on your part, pure and simple.

Really, you say? How so? Well, for one, it's all around us. We're all transitionals, as is every living thing. Now that we have the recent "miracle" of DNA genome mapping, we can now absolutely document that even in one human generation, there are an average of 175 mutational changes which then follow on in subsequent generations. Not to mention that most every organism's DNA, plant, animal or viral, will be completely mapped in the next 5 or 10 years. Then we can watch any of them we choose to, any time we choose to. Tick-tock, tick-tock, watch the mutations as they happen....

Dang it, huh?

Question back at you:
What is DNA genome mapping, and what is it's significance to Evolutionary science?

(I ask simply because you have either ignored it's significance, or have never responded to statements about it, instead calling all of it "assumptive" or "imagined". This suggests that you have absolutely no understanding about it.)

So... Let's clarify that, shall we? Please answer my Question here to the best of your personal ability & biological education abilities, not just a Wiki cut and paste. You berated my personal understanding about the Qu'Ran, which as you know I"m interested in now. Your particular writing style will be evidence enough if you just drone it in or if you really understand and can personally explain it.

If you have any existing technical understanding about the subject, you should be able to put together a reasonable summary in the next short while. Like if I asked you a basic question about, say, the Qu'Ran. But still, I'll also let you go and read and learn overnight, however that would strongly suggest all your previous negative commentaries about it were based on "zip" for understanding it, right?

I look forward to your comments. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
615 posts, read 442,708 times
Reputation: 168
Sukrill it appears you have little knowledge of Al Islaam or science, you come off here like the anti evolution Christian tards. If you followed Al Islaam you would educate yourself on the subject instead of speaking out of ignorance. One of the first revelations the prophet Muhammad received was to READ, how bout you do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,201,834 times
Reputation: 14007
Default it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in Allah...

Well, what can I say? I wanna know the truth and I'm willing to work to get there. Yay Evolution!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top