Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM

30 posts, read 101,957 times

Advertisements

Hey. What's going on? I was wondering if anybody knew a city, or cities, that are the most like Jackson, MS. I'm not really interested in like weather, but more along the lines of industry, demographics, etc. Basically, what are the cities that are similar to Jackson that Jackson could look up to?

I'm asking this because I'm interested in looking at what other cities (similar to Jackson) have done to either: turn their city around, keep their city health, keep crime low, etc. Basically, I would like to see what a city that's similar to Jackson has done to better itself that could be done here in Jackson.

Also, as a side note, is it just me or is Jackson confused in its identity? I mean, it seems to be pulling in so many directions between sports, arts, shipping, etc. that it doesn't really have any set direction.

Thanks alot for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by JDC266; 06-11-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Memphis comes first to my mind, followed by Little Rock, Montgomery, Baton Rouge, and Birmingham. That's based on my opinion and not any stats as the cities seem similar to me in that order.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
I agree with Memphis. It feels like a little Memphis to me kinda.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Memphis comes to mind a lot when comparing Jackson and we are trying to somewhat follow that revitalization path Performa did to transform Memphis. Other cities similar is Birmingham and Augusta GA if anyone been there before. They completely transformed their city by drawing businesses down to their riverwalk along the Savannah River. I would like Jackson to share both the Southern Jazz and music out the deep south (New Orleans) (Old Capitol Green Project) as well and the Delta blues and sounds of B.B. King (Farish Street District)...still "City of Soul." The city has tried several times in the past to find an identity and failed at it reminding me of Shreveport and how their downtown project did not work along the Red River.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Augusta and Jackson are kinda similar and both had a MSA around 540k in 2009.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:47 AM

63 posts, read 223,283 times
My first thought was Mobile, AL. Similar in size and similar entertainment (smaller museums, dining, shopping, etc.)

Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
Little Rock is probably the closest thing to Jackson.

Little Rock Population in July 2008: 189,515.
Population change since 2000: +3.5%

Jackson Population in July 2008: 173,861
Population change since 2000: -5.6%
Little Rock Median resident age: 34.5 years
Jackson Median resident age: 31.0 years

Little Rock Land area: 116.2 square miles
Jackson Land area: 104.9 square miles

Little Rock Population density: 1631 people per square mile
Jackson Population density: 1657 people per square mile

Little Rock Daytime population change due to commuting: +65,895 (+36.0%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 72,045 (82.1%)

Jackson Daytime population change due to commuting: +44,816 (+24.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 55,922 (73.5%)

Races in Little Rock:
  • White Non-Hispanic (54.0%)
  • Black (40.4%)
  • Hispanic (2.7%)
  • Other race (1.3%)
  • Two or more races (1.3%)
  • American Indian (0.7%)
Races in Jackson:
  • Black (70.6%)
  • White Non-Hispanic (27.5%)
  • Hispanic (0.8%)
  • Two or more races (0.7%)

Little Rock has undergone an extensive downtown revitalization including apartments, condos, and maybe most importantly - Verizon Arena, an 18,000 seat arena. The city has embraced being the capital city and embraced urban living, with a business community that actively promotes its downtown. They have instilled programs for cutting down crime and recidivism, treating addiction, encouraging tourism, building new parks for kids, and promoting national concerts. They promote a "Yes, We Can" attitude and civic mindset that seems to genuinely appeal to a wide range of backgrounds and interests.

Everything that has occurred in Little Rock can work here in Jackson, but the majority of us have to promote the same "Yes, We Can" and "Yes, We Will" attitude that Little Rock has embraced. It is not only our civic duty, but it is the right thing to do. We don't go to other countries and bad mouth our home country, so why would we do so for out state capitol? We simply must take pride and ownership in Jackson - it will ultimately enrich everyones' lives who live in the metro area and the state as a whole.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanks alot for the replies everyone, I definitely appreciate the responses.

But, just comparing some of the cities suggested (especially little rock) there really is a striking difference between not just how the cities look, but as well as the number of community development programs that each city has. In fact, almost every other city (than our own, Jackson) even lists these organizations on their city websites; however, our city definitely is lacking in that department. (meaning we don't list...any)

I am truly surprised in the downtown area, especially around the capital district... I mean, it has plenty of parking, looks decent, has plenty of walking and shopping area; however, it's like almost completely dead. I mean, very few stores open, few people walking/visiting and almost no police. (from the times I've been there) Honestly, it would be a prime area for someone to come in and renovate the area, put apartments on top with storefronts on bottom, definitely promote an urban living.

I have to agree with jacksonian, though... not only is making the city a better place our civic duty, but it is also the right thing to do. The sooner that that happens, the sooner that we can bring people and jobs back to the city. A cleaner, safer city is something that benefits everyone, not only people in the city, but also people in the state.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM

So I found the "city master plan" of FABRIC, "For A Better Revitalized Inclusive Community." ...and after reading all 164 pages of it, I've gotta admit that it's actually a decent, well put together, well thought out document. This document does have one minor problem though.... it was put together back in 2003. The city master plan, although it does say it is supposed to have both annual reviews and 5 year updates... it has neither. http://www.city.jackson.ms.us/assets...ive%20Plan.pdf

So, how is the city government supposed to make relevant decisions using a document that is 7 years old (which is pre-katrina, which changed Mississippi A LOT)? Or, while talking about city government, why do we have a city government that hasn't posted city council minutes to their website since April 21, 2009? Official City of Jackson, Mississippi Website - Council Minutes

I mean, honestly, with stuff like that, it makes me wonder what they are using to make an informed decision. (Of course, this also is the same city government that can't comply with the Clean Water Act, has city councilmen that take trips to...anywhere they want on the city's money, etc, etc, etc.) ...oh and one more question, if the DEQ has been fining the city of Jackson since last June, when the fixes were supposed to be done in May....why the hell is this still going on?

So, IMO, if the city government isn't doing a proper job, it's up to the citizens to do it. ...of course when we seem to have incompetent people in charge, that seems like it'll be more difficult than usual on the citizens of Jackson.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
I am truly surprised in the downtown area, especially around the capital district... I mean, it has plenty of parking, looks decent, has plenty of walking and shopping area; however, it's like almost completely dead. I mean, very few stores open, few people walking/visiting and almost no police. (from the times I've been there) Honestly, it would be a prime area for someone to come in and renovate the area, put apartments on top with storefronts on bottom, definitely promote an urban living.

I take it you haven't been Downtown in quite a while. Just google King Edward apartments, Electric 308, Plaza building apartments, and Standard Life building apartments for a few examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson