U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM

30 posts, read 91,482 times

Advertisements

Right, those are actually nice... and for the rest of the streets where I drive down and there's maybe one storefront open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC266 View Post
Right, those are actually nice... and for the rest of the streets where I drive down and there's maybe one storefront open?
You can't reasonably expect every storefront to become occupied simultaneously. Growth takes time, and Downtown is making strides every day. Three years ago, less than 50 people lived Downtown - today, there are more than 50 residents in the King Edward alone. I work Downtown, and I noticed the increase in traffic just yesterday - street and pedestrian. Cops patrol the streets by car, segways, scooters and foot. There are also independent security guards and ambassadors that are out 24/7 to monitor all areas of Downtown.

Maybe it's time you pay another visit to Downtown. In fact, there is an event this evening 5-8 pm called Downtown at Dusk, which will be on Farish Street. It's free to enter, and there will be live music, local food vendors, and adult beverages. Downtown at Dusk occurs once a month during the summer at different locations in Jackson.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM

30 posts, read 91,482 times
Well, I must admit, I haven't lived in Jackson until very recently, so I'm just coming onto the scene. (and I lived mainly on the coast before, and why go to Jackson when New Orleans is closer, ya know?) But, until I actually looked around last week, I was surprised at little little there was in downtown/urban residential... and can't even think about what it was like before the King Edward re-opened.

But, now that I'm here in J-town (going to JSU) I definitely plan to be spending alot of time in the downtown area. So this Downtown at Dusk, is it kinda like Jackson's take on a Take Back the Night program? (basically, showing solidarity, showing the area can be safe at night, as well as having fun and providing a cultural destination)

Like I said, though, I'm definitely looking at Jackson really for the first time since a few days here and there don't really show that much (and we were on the outskirts for most of that). ...honestly, if I were to tally my entire time in J-town, I would estimate I've maybe spent 4 weeks in Jackson out of my entire 24 years.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 PM

52 posts, read 80,791 times
I went to dental school for 4 years there, and I probably went downtown a total of ten times. There was a place or two that we would go with classmates, but I just never had to much of a reason to go downtown. Downtown might be safer than it used to be, but I still didn't see much point in taking my family there. It just wasn't worth it. A friend of mine's brother was shot in the head sitting at a stoplight in broad daylight. I know that these things can happen anywhere, but they happen more often in certain places than others.
Things want change until you get some solid leadership in place. I would love to see Jackson improve, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I now live in a suburb of Birmingham. I see bham as a bigger Jackson. We have some nice places to eat and a few other attractions, but I still rarely find a reason to go downtown. We have total morons in charge. Our mayor was convicted of tons of charges a few months ago and sentenced to considerable jail time. We have several other county politicians that were also sent to jail. Our former governor is serving time as well. I guess you see the common theme we have going here.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM

The political scene is far from acceptable here in Jackson as well. Incumbent leaders get comfortable and figure out how to screw the system for their benefit without drawing too much attention. Having said that, I give little credit to the city council for any of the growth that is and has been occurring Downtown over the past few years. Our mayor is ok - not great - as he has experience in grant work, but he keeps out of the spotlight for the most part. We've got some real knuckle heads on the city council.

95% of the Downtown development has come to fruition because of private investors and developers, many being local - like David Watkins, Ted Duckworth, Leland Speed, and Mike Peters. All of these guys are from Jackson, and without them, the King Edward, Electric 308, Pinnacle Place, Plaza Building, Standard Life, Farish Street, Tombigbee Lofts, and several other downtown properties would not be what they are today. Granted, the city did get the Convention Center built (finally), but I still don't give all the credit to the city. If there had not been so many other developments sprouting up Downtown, the Convention Center would never have been approved to be built. We're also getting a new federal courthouse that should be completed by the end of the year.

Five years ago, there was little reason to go Downtown unless you were going to work, taking care of government duties (tag, bills, taxes, etc), going to lunch, going to school, going to church, going to court, or going to experience the most urban space in Mississippi. For some, the latter is all the reason that is needed. Today, there is a growing number of apartments, more restaurants, and more events taking place. New hotels are being built as the current ones can not meet the demand when large conventions/groups come into town.

As for your friend's brother being shot at a red light in broad daylight, I very seriously doubt that happened in Downtown. Looking at crime stats in Downtown over the past three years, I certainly can't imagine that happening today. I can say this because not only do I work Downtown, but I once lived Downtown for a year - back before the boom happened - and I have never been the victim of a crime, nor have I witnessed a crime take place in Downtown. Granted, there is a higher chance of car break-ins if you leave your iPod or purse laying in the front seat, but all it takes is a little common sense to keep that from happening.

To the outsider, Downtown Jackson may seem like nothing, but to us who have witnessed its transformation over the past few years, Downtown is in far better shape than it has been in a very long time, and it will only continue to get better. The abandoned storefronts across from the King Edward are currently under renovation/restoration and will house a grocery/market, medical clinic, and a new restaurant. Farish Street, which is under construction, will have music venues, a recording studio, art galleries, restaurants, and a theater. The Standard Life building will house new apartments and have retail on the ground floor. All of these are happening now - and the planning is still going for other developments, such as a riverwalk that meanders through the west side of Downtown and there is talk of turning the old federal courthouse into a dance school, much like Julliard. The city just approved funding for the Convention Center Hotel also, which will be a mixed-use development with hotel rooms, apartments, parking garage, and retail. Jackson may have seemed like a dull, boring place five years ago, but the city and it's residents are alive and well and enjoying every minute of it.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 AM

I will admit that it was between 02-06 that I lived in Jackson. So, it has been a while and it sounds like there has been further improvement. I liked Jackson, and I hope it continues to prosper. If it does, it will be due to the private sector for the most part because many of the politicians are ridiculous. My friend's brother was shot a street or two away from the Capitol. So, call it whatever area you want, things like this are much more likely to happen there than they are downtown Madison or Ridgeland. I know this is the same for any city/suburb combo. Like I said, I am in Birmingham now, and it is the exact same here.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM

I agree that Jackson will prosper due to the diligence of the private sector - not the city or state government. As for crime, it is more likely to occur where more people are located. I couldn't tell you where downtown Madison or Ridgeland are, which makes the comparison hard to generalize. But you're right, in most cases, it is the same for any city/suburb combo - however, to me, that's not enough to convince me that urban spaces are not significant to our society.

Not to get off the topic too much, but what is the scenario like in Birmingham - specifically downtown? Is it growing, stagnant, or in decline? I don't visit there near enough to know.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I agree that Jackson will prosper due to the diligence of the private sector - not the city or state government. As for crime, it is more likely to occur where more people are located. I couldn't tell you where downtown Madison or Ridgeland are, which makes the comparison hard to generalize. But you're right, in most cases, it is the same for any city/suburb combo - however, to me, that's not enough to convince me that urban spaces are not significant to our society.

Not to get off the topic too much, but what is the scenario like in Birmingham - specifically downtown? Is it growing, stagnant, or in decline? I don't visit there near enough to know.
Birmingham itself has some good things going, especially in the Southside/Forest Park area. I don't know if locals consider this downtown, but I just lump them together. Downtown itself has some great places to eat and a little group of larger businesses that make it nice during the day. There is also a huge group of condos/apts that have been built that are really nice.

Our problem is still leadership and crime. Google Larry Langford and you will see what we have been dealing with. As long as the voters there are suckered into voting for scum like that, we will never thrive. I live in a suburb that is 3-5 miles south of downtown, Vestavia Hills. I have a neighborhood grocery store, cleaners, florist, pharmacy, Italian restaraunt, BBQ place, Mexican place, nursery, and just about everything I need within a mile of my house. I rarely go further than that mile, much less to downtown. I guess if I was single and dating it would be a different story. If I was single, I probably would move to Nashville because I think it has a little more to offer for that age range. I am one of those people that think you can pretty much be happy anywhere after you have settled down with your family. All I need is 5-10 good friends, a few good places to eat, and a deck to cook out on. I can pretty much get that anywhere.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbamadoc View Post
I live in a suburb that is 3-5 miles south of downtown, Vestavia Hills. I have a neighborhood grocery store, cleaners, florist, pharmacy, Italian restaraunt, BBQ place, Mexican place, nursery, and just about everything I need within a mile of my house. I rarely go further than that mile, much less to downtown. I guess if I was single and dating it would be a different story. If I was single, I probably would move to Nashville because I think it has a little more to offer for that age range. I am one of those people that think you can pretty much be happy anywhere after you have settled down with your family. All I need is 5-10 good friends, a few good places to eat, and a deck to cook out on. I can pretty much get that anywhere.
I'm in a similar situation - live 3 miles north of Downtown, but I work Downtown. I live in Fondren, which has grocery store, restaurants, pharmacy, shopping, etc. We spend a lot of time there, but we also like to go Downtown for different events, restaurants, plays, concerts, etc. We have some cultural events in Fondren, but the big traveling productions are hosted Downtown.

Your look at life is the best way to live - make the most of what you have and enjoy your life and your surroundings, instead of complain about what you don't have and what you don't like to see and hear. I really don't see why anyone would want to live a pessimistic life, but I suppose it is the ying to the yang.

It's been a pleasure talking with you.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I'm in a similar situation - live 3 miles north of Downtown, but I work Downtown. I live in Fondren, which has grocery store, restaurants, pharmacy, shopping, etc. We spend a lot of time there, but we also like to go Downtown for different events, restaurants, plays, concerts, etc. We have some cultural events in Fondren, but the big traveling productions are hosted Downtown.

Your look at life is the best way to live - make the most of what you have and enjoy your life and your surroundings, instead of complain about what you don't have and what you don't like to see and hear. I really don't see why anyone would want to live a pessimistic life, but I suppose it is the ying to the yang.

It's been a pleasure talking with you.
You as well. I love the Fondren area. My wife and I did medical and dental school there, so we had some good times in Jackson. I enjoy hearing that things are continuing to improve there. I was born there, so I guess I am will always be a "Jacksonian" as well. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or