U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 21,195 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Memphis in a couple months but im just checking out Jackson as well. If Any area, is it safe? What are the bad areas? Do I need a car? Thanks for your input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,966,879 times
I'm not very familiar with Midtown Memphis, but I would say that the Fondren/Belhaven area is the closest thing to it in Jackson. Several projects are currently under construction on Farish Street, which will become Jackson's centralized entertainment district - similar to how Beale Street is considered in Memphis. Downtown is also making a huge comeback, which includes new apartments, renovated historic buildings, new office buildings, new courthouse, new restaurants, new retail and more. I live in Jackson and consider it safe since I have lived here for 3 years now and have had no problems, but Jackson is like any other city - common sense goes a long way and if you're not doing things that you shouldn't be doing, then you should be ok. I would consider Jackson safer than Memphis myself, and no you don't need a car per say but it is recommended since the Jackson metro is so spread out. You can get by with a bicycle or a bus pass though, but I think you would be much happier with a vehicle of some sort.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,511,694 times
I would agree that Belhaven and Fondren are Jackson's equivalent to Midtown Memphis. By comparison, Midtown Memphis is larger and feels busier and frankly, more cluttered and edgy. Belhaven is very quaint and picturesque and Fondren has a nice, eclectic commercial center that feels kind of like a small town. People would say that Memphis is just bigger and has more going on. However, downtown Jackson is beginning somewhat of a renaissance and will probably look quite different 2 or 3 years from now.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 21,195 times
Plese Need Your Comments....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson