U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,363 times

Advertisements

Jackson Academy was not established as a "white flight" school. In 1959, a group of parents established a pre-Kindergarten school that taught phonetics. Not only did Mississippi not have pre-K (still doesn't), the curriculum did not include phonetics at any of the early stages. The school grew from there.

I graduated from JA this past year, and I can promise you that it is one of, if not the best, educations in the state. For the record, JA has placed higher than St. Andrew's in almost every academic competition that I took part in (namely Mu Alpha Theta and Mississippi College Math and Science Tournament).

JA, St. Andrew's, and Prep (as well as Tupelo High) are members of the *** Laude Society, the most prestigious academic society for high schools.

National Merit Scholars for the Class of 2010:
JA - 5
St. Andrews - 4

Here are links to the tuition pages for each school:
Jackson Academy - College preparatory, Independent School, All grades
http://gosaints.org/files/tuition%2010-11.pdf (broken link)

Apart from the academic standards, JA has much better athletics that allow anyone to be involved. School sponsored sports begin in 5th Grade.
Also, from recent experience, JA students have better (by my experience) social skills. To me, it seems that St. Andrew's places too much priority on grades, and as a result the school does not develop social skills in the students. No one can deny that for teenagers, social standing is extremely important, and St. Andrew's students are often looked down on in this category, as a generalization of course.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,252 times
I would never consider Prep of JA for my kids. They are not even close when it comes to SA academics. They are very good schools, but SA is on another level in this state. Also not enough minorities at JA or Prep. They did start off as a segregationist school but most Mississippians have changed from that stance. The kids at these schools are good kids. Their grandparents were staunch segregationists. SA is liberal to moderate, an ivy league feeder school. JA and Prep send their kids to Ole Miss and MS State. I know a lot of parents who moved to Mississippi and switched from JA to SA. They said it was way to clickish, and all the parents went to JA too. No doubt, segration played a part in the opening of the two.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
For the record, among last year's graduates 25 from St. Andrews went to Ole Miss, compared to 34 from JA, 39 from Prep, and 19 from MRA.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,958,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
For the record, among last year's graduates 25 from St. Andrews went to Ole Miss, compared to 34 from JA, 39 from Prep, and 19 from MRA.
What do the percentages work out to be? I have no clue how big/small each typical graduating class is for each.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 PM

40 posts, read 118,810 times
Having visited both schools, you all bring up valid points. Both JA and SA attribute the number of students attending Ole Miss and Miss State to the economic downturn, which may or may not be true. SA seemed to have a more diverse student body and appeared more rigorous academically. We don't place a significant emphasis on sports beyond recreation in our family so sports programs are not high on the list of important factors.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,138 times
Actually, in response to Fearringtonflash's comment, there were some citizen's council schools established in the early 1970's, but Jackson Academy wasn't one of them. Council Manhattan and Council Hanging Moss were two such schools, but both went out of business some time in the 1980's.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 AM

40 posts, read 118,810 times
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,847 times
Angry JA is a Council School - was and still is

I lived in Jackson for the past few years which was a horrible experience having lived many other places in our great nation. - and I have never been in such a racial and hatred laced environment as that. JA as a school is filled with racist parents and their kids - that is a fact. The only thing worse is the blue collar and rednecks out in rankin counties - Brandon and the left overs of South Jackson.

I went to JA as a child - my parents told me it was a segregation school - it was only for whites. That is the reason it was started. The other poster is correct.

My relatives go there now - its still almost all white in a city of 80% blacks. A few blacks get in for PR or for the football team.

Come on people. -- Mississippi and Jackson and this kind of thing need to change - this is why all three of them are always last in everything. All the decent people move away and the rest stay and keep this racial history festering. Look at the crime that just happened. White kids drive over a black guy for being black. White flight to Madison and Brandon. Its ridiculous.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,973,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$likeaboss$$ View Post
JA as a school is filled with racist parents and their kids - that is a fact. The only thing worse is the blue collar and rednecks out in rankin counties - Brandon and the left overs of South Jackson.

I went to JA as a child - my parents told me it was a segregation school - it was only for whites. That is the reason it was started. The other poster is correct.

My relatives go there now - its still almost all white in a city of 80% blacks. A few blacks get in for PR or for the football team.
JA was started in 1959. No accident that Brown vs Board of Ed happened in 1954. The handwriting was on the wall, desegregation was inevitable.

The only Black people that end up at JA move into Jackson from out of town and don't know its history.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,760 times
I went to St. Andrew's in the 80's, and I will forever be glad I did. I attended with students who had transferred from JA and Prep, and/or who had friends/relatives at those schools. It was NO SECRET to my schoolmates that JA was a segregation academy; I heard it from them, and they were white, so no one had any reason to hide their true feelings from them. You can engage in all the optimism you want, but a Mississippi school was in the news as late as 2010 for STILL finding ways to segregate and discriminate. It would be nice if JA has managed to change for the better.

Last edited by TPowe; 11-20-2011 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: perfectionism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson