U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM

40 posts, read 118,810 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Jackson area (Madison/Ridgeland) and considering St Andrews or Jackson Academy for my children. I am leaning toward St Andrews as the curriculum seems a bit more rigorous in the upper grades. Can anyone share their experiences with either school. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,973,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen-golf View Post
I am relocating to the Jackson area (Madison/Ridgeland) and considering St Andrews or Jackson Academy for my children. I am leaning toward St Andrews as the curriculum seems a bit more rigorous in the upper grades. Can anyone share their experiences with either school. Thanks.
St Andrews is for the smart kids. Definitely the most rigorous curriculum in the Jackson area.

JA is for parents who don't want their kids to go to school with minorities. As are all of the "academies" in Mississippi, founded after 1954.

From Saint Andrews' web page:

"Unlike the majority of independent schools and private academies in Mississippi, St. Andrew’s Episcopal School was founded prior to 1954, the year of the United States Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education. St. Andrew’s did not originate as a “white flight” school but as the brainchild of Sherwood Wise and Reynolds Cheney, two visionary former Naval officers who wanted to establish a small, independent school where students could receive individual attention and the benefits of a Christian atmosphere. Wise and Cheney persuaded their friends and fellow communicants of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church to join them in what was perceived at the time as a risky venture. Their vision became a reality in 1947, when St. Andrew’s Episcopal Day School opened its doors to 45 students in Grades 1 – 4."

The choice is yours.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,958,128 times
Of the two, I prefer St. Andrews. Have you looked at St. Joseph? It's a good school as well.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
St. Andrew's and Jackson Academy are both absolutely top-notch schools. The previous description of JA is way over the top. There are many, many families and neighbors who split schools, with some sending their children to St. Andrew's and some JA. They are both very affluent, about the same size, and have a family-oriented environment.

JA just built a plush performing arts center and significantly expanded its campus. They also win a lot of sports championships. St. Andrew's typically has nearly 20% of their students selected as national merit scholars. Many of their graduates go to the likes of Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Stanford, MIT, etc. JA, while probably equally affluent (doctors and lawyers as parents, etc) is more conservative, stronger on sports, and sends most graduates to Ole Miss and Mississippi State, with most probably getting huge academic scholarships and joining fraternities and sororities, etc.

Not to muddy the waters, but there are also First Pres (K-6) and Jackson Prep (6-12). Prep likes to think of itself as the premier school in Mississippi, the best in academics, activities and above all sports. However, there is no escaping that St. Andrew's is now almost as large as Prep in students per grade and has double the percentage of students as national merit scholars. The difference seems to be that St. Andrew's leans moderate to liberal and Prep and JA are high-end conservative. First Pres is basically the same families as Prep except First Pres has a very conservative religious component.

Yes, there is also St. Joe in Madison, a very nice Catholic school that doesn't seem to fit any particular mold (not as academically tough as St. Andrew's but not as conservative as Prep and JA). Lastly there is MRA, also in Madison, which seems to pride itself on being smaller and catering to youth of all abilities, from high achievers to student who struggle academically.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Thank you very much for the responses. They have been very helpful. It is always good to get input from people "on the ground" Thanks again for you time.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:03 PM

135 posts, read 486,973 times
it has been many years since I lived in Jackson (1974), but at that time Jackson Academy was one of the White Citizens' Council Schools set up to avoid integration. I don't know if this is still the case,as the Klan and Citizen Councils (the difference being in the thread count of their sheets) have updated their image--but I'd be surprised if the African American enrollment in JA exceeds 10%.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM

This nonsense about Jackson Academy is obsurd. And from someone remembering back to 1974? Good grief. For the record, JA was established in 1959.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,973,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
This nonsense about Jackson Academy is absurd. And from someone remembering back to 1974? Good grief. For the record, JA was established in 1959.
What exactly are you complaining about? That people are bringing up JA's history? Or are you disputing it?

As for the fact that JA was established in 1959, that's really the point. Shortly after the 1954 supreme court decision, dozens of private "academies" sprang up in MS, offering White parents a place to send their children away from the minorities who were now allowed to go to the same public schools. JA was one of these, as well as most of the academies that JA competes against in sports.

Look at my original post, with the copy of the text from St Andrew's web site. I'm not making this up. St Andrews firmly believes that the academies were started for one reason only - to continue segregation.

Burying the past won't make it go away. Pretending it never happened won't work either.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 PM

I believe this thread was posted by someone inquiring about these two schools, both of which are lovely and excellent in every way. However, if people choose to bathe in these other provocative posts, it's a free country. Go for it.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM

History is important but it does not determine the future. 1959 and 1974 was sometime ago and it seems to me, an outsider looking in, that things have changed in Jackson. I hope I am not wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson