Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 15,150 times

Advertisements

Well, my brain hurts. I have been doing research for quite some time about Madison Ms because I would LOVE to move there. I work from home and can take my job with me. I recently took my 3 children and visited for the day and of course I am still left with many questions.

Are there biking and running trails near? Great parks?
I visited Strawberry Park and quite frankly I left there a bit disappointed.
Are there parks along water anywhere?
I have a teen and would definitely want to keep him busy with wholesome activities.

I have read SO very much about people who hate Madison because it has become very "cookie cutter suburban". I love the clean look and feel of Madison but I do not want to compromise our love of the outdoors. Does the community host events and gatherings very often?

Of course I am drawn to the seemingly excellent public school system but have heard that due to the rapid growth and people flocking to the area, the schools are quickly being outgrown and overpopulated.

Again, I love the area and it seems to be a very safe place to live. How on earth do you adequately investigate an area before you move there? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 AM

190 posts, read 692,514 times
Quote:
Are there biking and running trails near?
Madison is lagging on this, but I believe they have some plans in work. Ridgeland is king of the bike/running trails...especially near the Natchez Trace. You could live in Madison and have easy access to the ones in Ridgeland (Rice Road area of Madison or the Highland Colony area of Madison). Madison and Ridgeland run together in both areas.

Quote:
Great parks? Are there parks along water anywhere?
Parks are a bit lacking, but that is also in the works. They've got an area currently being developed over in the Grandview Blvd. area (lake, park etc). Also, as part of the St. Dominics Hospital deal that didnt get the certificate of need approval, they had agreed to build a large park area, supposedly even if the hospital didnt get approval. Not sure where that stands. As far as parks on the water (reservoir) just outside of Madison off Rice Road (Ridgeland) and a little further out across the spillway (Brandon, I believe it would be considered) you'll find those.

Quote:
Does the community host events and gatherings very often?
Movies in the park and other activities are fairly plentiful and becoming more available. You can also reach out to Ridgeland (Pepsi Pops at on the reservoir in Ridgeland, 4th of July ballon glow) and even Canton (Christmas Festival and other stuff).

Quote:
Of course I am drawn to the seemingly excellent public school system but have heard that due to the rapid growth and people flocking to the area, the schools are quickly being outgrown and overpopulated.
A new high school is slated to open in Glcukstadt next year, so the school issue is being addressed.

Quote:
Again, I love the area and it seems to be a very safe place to live. How on earth do you adequately investigate an area before you move there? Any advice?
These links should help.

Madison The City
Welcome To Ridgeland, Mississippi

Canton Convention and Visitors Bureau

Madison County Journal - Madison County Mississippi

mcherald.com | The Madison County Herald | Madison, MS news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Madison, MS, Mississippi

Edit to add: Since parks/water seem to interest you, if you aren't sold on being in the city limits, the Lake Caroline http://lakecarolinems.com/ development might interest you. There is a large private lake and golf course (think you pay for golf outside of homeowners dues), plus a large enough neighborhood the roads are good for running/biking. A little out of the way for me, but there are a bunch of houses in all sorts of price ranges, and you could probably get a decent deal on one. Just note that there are lots in the Madison County and Canton school districts. With school age kids, be sure to stick to the Madison side, if you are interested in the area.

Last edited by covedweller; 10-27-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
Pelahatchie Shore Park is on the water and has a boat ramp, pavilions, open grass areas, and an 18-hole disc golf course that is very well maintained. The park is on the east side of the Reservoir in Rankin County, just off Northshore Pkwy.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Sorry ~ posted under my co-workers log in! Okay, let me try this again.

Thanks so much covedweller for the abundance of information. And also to jacksonian. I ckd out the Pelahatchie Shore Park and found tons of other useful information as well!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM

64 posts, read 237,250 times
I've been in Madison since 2002 and while it is lacking in some things, it makes up in others. Remember, Madison is a relatively young city. 20 years ago, there was nothing more than Sledge's gas station.
Yes the architecture really swang towards nothing more than Acadian during the building boom but the flip side to that is that values haven't suffered as much as other areas.
As for recreastion, particularly outdoors, every year we get more and more options. From the biking. running trails being extended to new festivals.
Of course I am biased but I can't think of a better place to live in cental MS than Madison.
Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you do.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

106 posts, read 398,897 times
Brandon and the reservoir area has much more of what you are interested in. Ridgeland does as well. Think of Madison as a growing area that will gradually acquire all of those amenities that you want, but it's not here yet. Madison is on the fringe of major development, so although it's a decent area with very decent shopping, etc - most of the amenities of a typical metropolitan area aren't plentiful here yet. - However, if you have visited Strawberry Park, you should also visit Liberty Park,in Madison. Madison The City - Parks and Recreation

Ridgeland and Brandon (next door to Madison) have much of what you want. And you may want to think about Ridgeland particularly, for your next home.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM

I would just advise to be careful with Ridgeland...my opinion is they really went overboard when it comes to retail development and those chickens are already coming home to roost in some areas. The thing I like about Madison...it is mostly residential, and while there aren't the shopping and dining choices of the other neighboring locations, I can be in Flowood, Renaissance in Ridgeland, or Northeast Jackson within 15 minutes from where I am. Its nice to have access to all of the things those places offer, but its also nice to leave them in my rearview mirror and go back to a much more residential oriented area.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covedweller View Post
Its nice to have access to all of the things those places offer, but its also nice to leave them in my rearview mirror and go back to a much more residential oriented area.
Just curious, but why is that?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:22 PM

I don't like crowds, clutter, strip malls, taxes, potholes etc. I would much rather live in the country than Madison, but that really isn't an option at this point. If I have to live in an incorporated area in the metro, Madison is definitely my choice due largely to the lack of those types of amenities.

And to clarify, I know I could live in the metro area and get out in the country, but I've already have land (not close enough to live on given the current situation) so I don't need any additional property to maintain. Weighing everything (location, convenience, potential resale value when I do move etc), Madison is the best choice for me.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM

While not trying to stir up something unpleasant I want to explain my choice of Madison. I must confess that it is 99% about the schools. Quite frankly I have searched 3 different sites and even paid a fee for the information. Many Madison schools just seem to be top notch. We are currently going "private school broke" and I am SICK of the lack of diversity in our schools to boot. I love that Madison is near awesome shopping and restaurants but not directly in the hub of things. I do love the nice, clean, safe feel but do not want to live in a home that is super close to others. I am not opposed to neighborhoods, just not wanting to be packed in like sardines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson